[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which e-reader?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: ebook.jpg (3MB, 3224x3372px) Image search: [Google]
ebook.jpg
3MB, 3224x3372px
Hey /lit/ I've been avoiding getting an e-reader for a long time but I'm going to be traveling for pretty much a year in South Asia and was wondering what the best e-reader is?

How many pages/books can they hold?
Can you torrent any e-book onto any model or which models can you add torrents onto?
Are they all backlilt and easy on the eyes?

Anything else I'm forgetting?
>>
I've got a paperwhite. Don't know about other readers so can't really compare but it works.
Only downsides I've notices:
When selecting a word or sentence I find the touch screen is not accurate. Selecting a sentence below/above the one I'm trying to select happens quite often.
Other problem: It resets some of my books to page 1. Only happens to torrented books, not the onces I've bought on amazon. Anyone know how to fix this? It happens when I go back to home menu, or when I havent turned on my device a few days.
>>
File: IMG-20160201-WA0003.jpg (136KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160201-WA0003.jpg
136KB, 900x1600px
The Sony e-readers are generally good. The reason why you don't see them around much is because normies preferred developed "ecosystems" for their e-books; that is, being told what to buy in an all-in-one marketplace with variety and publisher marketing. This is probably why the Kindle is now ubiquitous, even though Sony's tech was just as good if not better. I will answer for my Sony PRS-T2, bought used for 50€ this year.

>How many pages/books can they hold?
1.2 GB of usable internal memory available plus microSD port for additional 32 GB. To give you an idea, I have 150 books on my e-reader in a variety of formats (from massive .pdf textbooks to slim .epubs) and they occupy 700 MB.
>Can you torrent any e-book onto any model or which models can you add torrents onto?
For Sony, yes. Natively it supports .epub, .pdf, and .txt but with calibre (third-party e-book software) you can convert Amazon's proprietary .mobi to .epub. I've never bought an e-book myself but since getting an e-reader, I've purchased more physical books than ever.
>Are they all backlilt and easy on the eyes?
Newer e-readers are pretty much all backlit, but my PRS-T2 is from 2013 and doesn't have it. I use the official Sony cover with a light hanging over the screen, much like one would traditionally use when reading in the dark.
>Anything else I'm forgetting?
Browse the classifieds of whatever your local reselling website is. A lot of people receive e-readers as gifts and never use them, and the kind of person to receive an e-reader as a gift is generally easy to deal with. You'll find everything from the latest Kindle to older Sony's like mine.
>>
>>7975197
I have a kobo aura but the pdf support is terrible. Is the Sony really capable of handling massive textbooks?
>>
>>7975214
The pdf support isn't terrible, but it's not good either. I can zoom in and out as well as drag across the screen to see the rest of the page, but it's quite slow. E-ink also causes the screen to constantly flash/refresh black when doing so.
>>
Can one still find a Kindle keyboard with actual complete free 3G?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.