[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of Terence McKenna?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 5

File: 65serveimage.png (238KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
65serveimage.png
238KB, 500x341px
What does /lit/ think of Terence McKenna?
>>
>>7943376
I like him, but I like doing drugs, so there's that.
>>
>>7943376
DUDE WEED LMAO

why is /lit/ so degenerate?
>>
Just started Food of The Gods
>>
>>7943376
Great speaker if you're interested in psychedelics or alchemy.
Never read any of his books though.
>>
>>7943376
terrance is awesome, radical thinker for sure, so some of his ideas are a bit out there but very interesting to read or listen to nonetheless
>>
>>7943376
He has a weird voice.
>>
>>7943376

>turn you in to a half baked moron, consuming all this trash taht's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

Sounds like 99% of drug users desu
>>
>>7943376
I like to listen to his lectures when I'm driving in the car, simply because he's an extraordinary with a lot of strange ideas. However, I would not rank is literary merit particularly high.
>>
just another deluded baby boomer drug addict
>>
>>7943453
You're an idiot.
>>
Watch this f a m

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FC3eNHaAens
>>
>>7943376
Stoned Ape Theory is absolute nonsense and should be disregarded by anyone with a grasp on how evolution happens.

>>7943441
This too. I've never met a head who made me want to be just like them. Like vegans (not totally relevant but I usually say the above as "I've never met a vegan and thought, damn, they're super healthy-looking), they've latched on to a grain of truth and refuse to acknowledge the rock it came from.
>>
dropped when he claimed there would be world-shattering change in 2012, and nothing happened.

dropped again when he made a big thing out of the Harmaline Hum but never provided any recordings of it.
>>
>>7943487
Great video senpai.

Where should i start with his books?

I did shrooms yesterday so i'm really interested in this topic.
>>
>>7943761
Probably food of the gods
>>
>>7943498
>anyone with a grasp on how evolution happens

implying anyone holds the canon of a gradual occurrence happening over millions of years
>>
>>7943441
good think im a natural aristocrat then
>>
>>7943674
implying a world shattering change didn't happen in 2012
>>
>>7943376

My views of him are neutral, but all the people I've met in real life that read him and listened to him were pot smoking drug addicts.

That make me not like him.
>>
File: bryon redboon cue the salsa.jpg (43KB, 446x456px) Image search: [Google]
bryon redboon cue the salsa.jpg
43KB, 446x456px
>do mind altering drugs
>they alter your mind
>dude I got it all figured out now
>>
>>7943853
Please go to your garage and hang yourself with a belt
>>
>>7943674
Proof that drugs are bad for the brain.
>>
>>7943897
Terence pls go.
>>
>>7943999
I'm a ghost and you can't stop me from haunting u
>>
>>7944005

are you the same guy I see in a couple of other threads going on a major shit posting spree?
>>
>>7944008
I don't think so dude.
>>
>>7944010

you might not even know yourself
>>
>>7944014
Well this whole website is one giant shit post and I don't know which ones you're referring to specifically.
>>
>>7943853
>drugs should be legal
>why?
>...
>(angry face)

laughable that the pro drug lobby wants to make drug legalisation a moral issue
>>
>>7943487
>f a m
is senpai word blocked now?
>>
>>7944111
Why should they be illegal?
>>
>>7944131
>now
>>
>>7944131
Yes f a m
>>
>>7944136
>>7944139
nice desu senpai
>>
They let Cumia do psychedelics in rehab?
>>
File: jamesfadiman.jpg (46KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
jamesfadiman.jpg
46KB, 600x400px
brace yourselves
>>
um am I going crazy or did new moot actually do the things he did to 2chan?
2chan users said he made a copy-site that copied everything they posted... is this old news?

can't post the link of course, spam filtered, but Google Harmaline Hum and click link called Z_____ Forums dot com
>>
Read all his books and listened to all his lectures but tend to just disregard him these days. Was interesting for a while though.
>>
He is a emotive based pseudo-scientist.

Fun to listen to though.
>>
>>7943395
'Cause not being degenerate sucks.
>>
He is the grand-dad stoner pseud
>>
Can't say I got much out of him
But he's nice to namedrop at parties and tinder if you see some wannabe hippie flowerchild
I've gotten laid twice just by mentioning him.
Tao lin is the only person I'm aware of that seems to understand his pseudo rants. hoping tao's new book is good.
>>
>>7943498
>Stoned Ape Theory is absolute nonsense and should be disregarded by anyone with a grasp on how evolution happens.
Could you please help me understand why you take this position. It seems plausible to me.
>>
>>7943674
>he claimed there would be world-shattering change in 2012
Can you give me a source on this because I have been listening to him for over a year and I am aware of the time wave but my understanding is 2012 was just an end date that lined up well not a prediction from him.
>>
>>7943376
Terence was a genius polymath. Very entertaining speaker. He covers a wide variety of topics with intellect and style.
>>
>>7943398
Easily his best

>>7943376
Terence is great as an imagineer. But that is not to be confused with scientist.

>>7943395
You clearly know all about terence mckenna

>>7943498
>Absoute nonsense
Please, tell me all about how higher thinking evolved in early hominids then

>>7944111
It's an issue of personal freedom. Nothing more. Psychedelics are deconditioning agents and boundary dissolvers. Best used in large amounts but not often, and not socially, and definitely not around the usual crowd of deluded twenty year olds that congregate around the drug scene. They are great for de-pathologizing the individual, and very easy to abuse. But as I type I realize you are either a troll or a worthless bigot and I've stopped caring to convince you that psychedelics are worth having around.

>>7946229
"Invisible landscapes" will tell you all about timewave zero

>>7946248
>Genius polymath
No. Not at all. He was a professional bullshitter with a handful of good ideas buried in terrible ones.
>>
>>7946248
Terence mckenna was an avid scifi reader playing scientist. He made his career preying on the wishful thinking of the uneducated who gathered around psychedelics as a social centerpiece. Timewave zero was obviously nonsense, the stoned ape theory will never be proven, and most of his ideas were copied from obscure gnostics and "alchemists." If you ever watch interviews with his brother Dennis, who by the way is everything Terence wishes he was, You'll notice that Dennis has to try very hard not to publically say "Yeah he was completely full of shit"
>>
Why hasn't this been posted yet?
>>
>>7946685
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QrWfbYFtNk

forgot link
>>
File: cunt.jpg (51KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
cunt.jpg
51KB, 400x400px
>dude what if like shrooms taught us to talk maaaaaan
>>
>>7943498
Then explain cannaboid receptors in the brain.
Not to mention it's difficult to completely dismiss it since the evolutionary step that arrived modern humanity was abstract thought. And cannabis and psilocybin (along with other psychedelics that don't have receptors in your brain) both cause that in strides.
>>
>>7946279

why do you call him a professional bullshitter?

i have been listening to him for some years now, and i absolutely believe he believed what he said.
>>
A pseud of the highest degree.
>>7946615
>le science
>>
>>7943674
Well actually his point about 2012 was that the event would take place sometime prior to 2012 and that 2012, the real 2012 would never arrive. It was a supurious claim when you actually understand it, unless you are talking about somekind of extra-dimensional computational system, but then if that is the case then what is to say that the universe wasn't contained in it from the beginning? Maybe we just dropped into another layer of it. Who knows? Anyway, you obviously didn't understand it to begin with because you are a pleb.
>>
Has anyone read the brotherhood of the creaming abyss?
>>
>>7946714
Because he knew very well he was recycling scifi memes, and that his every idea was carefully placed right on the line between impossible and improveable. He was caught several times lying about his history with psychedelics and paranormal events (see the interview with dennis mckenna on the rogan experience) and when he was called out on contradicting himself, he literally said "Consistency is the hob goblin of the small minded"

>>7946737
I know you're trolling, because you're trying to imply that what I said was less scientifically accurate than terence mckenna's body of "work" but the reality is that every respectable scientist has dismissed everything he ever said. Terence was full of shit. I'm sorry if you refuse to accept this right now, but give it time and a little bit of legitimate research and you'll accept it soon enough. I'm sure he would have been an amazing scifi writer. But that's all.
>>
What did dfw think of terrence?
>>
>>7943376
Good guy. Smart, funny, erudite, creative and multi-disciplinary. On the down side, he did get on the CIA payroll at some time in the 1990s, I heard. Actually if you watch the Trialogues with Rubert Sheldrake and Terrence McKenna you can see the moment that McKenna goes over to the darkside and admits that he is in favour of a one world government that goes into countries and takes them over financially.

He also tried to impress upon people the idea that another financial crash was now impossible, because computers would never allow it to happen. It is not just that he was wrong on this point, but that he helped create the problem. No doubt, hundreds of millions of people were indirectly infuenced by his words and went on to facilitate and make the crash even worse when it finally did arrive. Not that he did this in any malicious way. I think he actually believed the horseshit they were shovelling him, but maybe that is the problem with McKenna. He was capable of convincing himself of anything and believing in it to the end.
>>
>>7946784
>trolling
ANYTHING I DON'T LIKE IS TROLLING

I CANT READ SO YOU'RE TROLLING HAHA FUCKING EPIC
>>
>>7946795
>hundreds of millions
You think you're giving him a bit much credit? The only people who put any stock in his words psychedelic users who don't understand what real scientists think about his opinions.
>>
>>7946784
>Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)
>>
>>7946784
>scientist has dismissed everything he ever said.

This is utterly incorrect. Have you not seen any of his discussion of Joyce?

Why you so mad? lol
>>
>>7946805
A mckenna fan calling someone else a pseud is either a troll or an idiot in the same way that a bible thumper demanding proof is a troll or an idiot. Either way, kill yourself. You're a useless stain on the intellectual development of your peers.
>>
>>7946815
>le real science xdd i fucking love science!!
>>7946823
You really are illiterate.

Why do you presume I'm a fan?
>intellectual development
Or an actual troll.
>>
>>7946822
>>7946820
>>7946805
>>7946737
Samefaggot please die.
>>
>>7946784

"Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" is from Self Reliance by Ralph Waldo Emerson, and that's a distortion of what he was trying to say due to not including the rest.
>>
File: whoopsee.png (83KB, 1422x613px) Image search: [Google]
whoopsee.png
83KB, 1422x613px
>>7946831
>>
>>7946815
I said "indirectly" meaning that his words would have been used as a reference or a clammer of background noise on top of which the globalist bankers would have continued to push their agenda. Perhaps 100 millions is pushing it I agree, but I think it is probably impossible to quantify either way, because it is impossible to separate the signal and the noise at those levels and over such a sustained period of time.
>>
>>7946823
Bible thumpers demanding proof?
Proof of what? Of the atheists claim that there is no such thing as God? Has any such proof ever been provided ever?
>>
I only know about him because he was sampled in a bunch of electronic music. I had no idea that people actually read anything by him, that he'd published any work longer than a pamphlet, or that he had authored theories.

This is an amazing thread.
>>
Used a cane
He would shitpost /r9k/
Dr.Mckenna aka Mr.Roboto
>>
Didn't he have a REALLY bad trip once, and swore off psychedelics forever, but kept pretending he did them?

Or am I thinking of someone else?
>>
OP here. I'm not a Terence McKenna advocate or anything. But I'm grateful to him for encouraging me to think and giving me the strength to say "no" to bullshit. I really appreciate his command of language. He's like a rolemodel for me at the moment of the kind of person I'd like to be. I might later conclude he's a kook, but for now it's really hitting the spot.
>>
>>7946784
why does it matter whether his material was presented as sci-fi instead of however it's presented

the guy literally smoked weed every day, anyone that could be disadvantaged or taken in by something he said would probably be just as likely to do so with fiction
>>
>>7946856

actually the original quote is Locke's "coherence is a virtue of small minds", but whatever
>>
>>7946784

I am guessing your indisposition towards Mackenna, though well-founded and analytical (which is rare to see in 4chan), comes from your insistency in placing him among the scientists.

He studied the softest of sciences, I believe it was Environmental Concerns or something along that name.

He was, however, an erudite, and his understanding of chemistry was beyond doubt, but that may be because his awesome but so-ugly-that-you-shouldn't-put-him-in-front-of-a-camera brother Dennis.

He was, first and foremost, a public figure around whom the true psychonauts could gather and don't be so alienated. I think the exchange of the people that went to see his lectures are the most important thing he created - the possibility of open communication between people who, at that time, seemed to themselves to be the only ones doing it. He was, of course, a sort of an uncle tom and a drug advocate, but comparing him to Leary his work was good, honest, and certainly not CIA-arrested-in-Africa batshit insane like Leary's ending.

I suspect that you have not engaged yourself in the rituals of the plants, and it is this which is, in my opinion, necesary for a true understanding of Mackenna. He is not talking about the discursive mind - although of course it's his tool. He is talking about the logical contradictions that can be seen from outside the mind when there are no contradictions - in an abstract plane - and about the possibility of attaching psychedelic drugs to our diet - in a practical, evolutionary, biological sense.

And in that respect he is certainly not one of a kind, but possibly the best lecturer on the topic.

As an add on to my comment I would also like to say his voice is soothing, yet taodish (I actually tried to write toad-ish, but I'm gonna let that one stand), and his psychoneurolgical joycean self-referencing vocabulary builds a philosophy with so much internal coherence that one can forgive his delusions - because they made sense for him. His talks are on par with Alan Watts' and Stephen Hoeller's - all of whom can be attacked, like him, but who can nonetheless be called great lecturers.

He was trying to engage your imagination - not your discursive process. So don't disregard him as a failed scientist, because he never wanted to be a scientist in the first place. He just wanted to dream.

If you want an example of what I'm talking about, see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne3K23sG_2E

(I know it's nonsense - but so are dreams)
>>
>people disregarding him because he does drugs

I disregard you if you've never even tried mind expanding drugs
>>
>turn you into a half-baked moron

Some heavy projection this druggie retard used to spew. Only other druggie retards take him seriously.
>>
>>7948362
Like, totally bro. We're all "one". Fuck those intellectual retards, they don't know shit. I dropped out of high school but weed and acid taught me the TRUTH, man. I know better than those dumb ass philosophers who got "education" i.e. Marxist brainwashing, amirite?
>>
>>7948362

call them psychedelics
>>
>>7948593

All is one.

This is the root of philosophy.
>>
>>7948318
Well put
>>
>>7947571

his brother said he was terrified of mushrooms later on in his life or something like that
>>
>>7946748
his point about 2012 is that that was when "novelty" was supposed to approach infinity and "everything would go haywire, beyond imagination" also calling it a singularity in comparison to black holes in the sense that we cannot imagine what is going on beyond the singularity but we know it is wildly different from the normal going-ons of things
>>
>>7948805

thanks.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.