[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HP Lovecraft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

File: lovecraft.png (545KB, 646x498px) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft.png
545KB, 646x498px
Which is better /lit/?
>>
Necronomicon is a nice edition which feels good to read and looks great on a shelf. Not sure about the other's content but the cover looks like shit senpai.
>>
>>7892760
The one on the right.
>>
>>7892811
Both are shitty editions

Necronomicon contains so much of Lovecraft's mediocre work. It doesn't deserve the fancy binding.

The BnN edition is almost good, but does not compile his collaborations, some of which are good, such as the two about sneku peepil. There's also no analysis, making it hard for a newcomer to dive into him.

Id go with the BnN one.
>>
>>7892828
Is there a better collection of Lovecraft with the things you've mentioned?
>>
>>7892828
If you don't want the mediocre works why are you buying a Lovecraft collection? It's supposed to be a comprehensive collection of his solo stuff. Just get a best-of if you don't want that.
>>
>>7892760
Necronomicon is better I'd say though I've never seen the other one in England it looks similar to a version I see around Waterstones.
>>
>>7892841
Except I did that already

Anything that didn't fit with LC's best works, but I still considered good enough to put on my shelf, I printed personally in a companion volume.
>>
>>7892875
why? the dream quest sequence ruins the flow of his harder horror work.

lovecraft even admitted kadath and the silver key were practice for better written work.
>>
>>7892901
Really if you read Lovecraft for hard horror I'd say you're looking in the wrong place. His mastery of the mysterious and esoteric is what I like about him and Necronomicon is ordered in a way that works with that
>>
>>7892828
>wanting modern critical analysis of Lovecraft
Just write "muh racism" in the margin of every page for the same effect
>>
I feel like if you're going to have a big Lovecraft collection, it has to look at least somewhat sinister and mysterious to those unfamiliar with him when it sits on the shelf. A large, dark, and ominous leatherbound edition would be great really.
>>
>>7892909
he doesn't have a mastery of the esoteric, he was just better at it than most other pulp writers of his time. he was only proficient with one language, english, but he pretended knowledge in a couple of ancient languages, which he made flagrant errors in. there are at least 3 writers from his time that were producing better learned esoteric narratives, but they were less charismatic/controversial.

some of the preliminary works in that collection include Sarnath, which I personally love, but is hardly an introduction to most of his other work. same goes for the the other dream quest tales, and the Reanimator sequence, which is funny, but not really lovecraft, and more of a Frankenstein parody. his better introductory works are sandwiched in the forgettable middle, which is just an inexplicable editorial decision.
>>
>>7892887
nerd
>>
>>7892919
not critical analysis, but a crisp selection of stories arranged to guide the reader.

>>7892935
it's a cool bound edition, no doubt, but the editor had to be on crack to arrange the stories the way he did.
>>
>>7892940
>nerd calling others nerds
>>
I am an autismalord and so I have read all of his short stories in chronological order, yes even the collaborations. All of them.

I have to admit the famous ones are well known for a reason, they are pretty much the best things he wrote. I am referring to Color Out Of Space, Dexter Ward, Mountains, Chtulhu, Innsmouth, Dunwhich and such.

There are however lesser known little gems like The Mound, Walls Of Eryx, Night Ocean, Gates Of The Silver Key, Horror In The Museum.
>>
Both are shit.

Lovecraft shills need to GO BACK TO REDDIT
>>
>>7892967
the BnN one isnt bad at all, but it isnt something id rate higher than 7/10 either.
>>
The amazon reviews for the Necronomicon is some of the most cringeworthy stuff I've ever read.

>It would seem as though the fine people at Gollancz - unknowingly, I'm sure - have amongst their ranks a daemon! This fiend has revealed its presence to me by its ingenious manoeuvre of making sure that the sticker on the back of the book (combined price- and barcode sticker) has been applied using the most heinous kind of glue heretofore known to Man!
>>
>>7893005
That's literally how Lovecraft writes though.
>>
>>7892919
it's so stupid to complain about his racial beliefs because Lovecraft hated everyone
>>
>>7892760
The one on the right, although it doesn't contain most of Lovecraft's collaborations.
>>
File: Cthulhu Cover.png (2MB, 984x1550px) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu Cover.png
2MB, 984x1550px
Go Penguin Classics or go bust.
>>
File: cover.jpg (124KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
124KB, 325x500px
Grab the Penguin ones edited by Joshi.
>>
>>7893137
the penguin editions are good when taken together, but when considering only a single tome, they are ruled out due to each having mixed contents.
>>
>>7893145
Yeah, of course you have to take them together.
I don't get this obsession with having everything in one place, usually just makes it overly bulky and harder to skim trough, like a phone book.
>>
>>7893162
but its differnet with other authors

with dante you only need inferno, really. for the penguin lovecrafts, you have to take at least 2, or none of them, to get his core works.
>>
I wanted to ask, anyone knows of any Cthulhu-mythos inspired stories collection worth anything?
>>
I'm a broke bum so I'll only be able to buy one penguin classic which is the best one to get
>>
>>7892760
This is the one you want:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/h-p-lovecraft-h-p-lovecraft/1100240763#productInfoTabs

It's much cheaper than the B&N depicted in the OP, and also more inclusive.
>>
I own the Fall River Press collection "Great Tales of Horror", which has headnotes by Joshi and an introduction by Stefan Dziemianowicz. It has his notable stories like "The call of Cthulu", "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", "The Dunwich Horror", etc.

I remember reading a paperback collection of about 5 short stories, with a foreward by Harlan Ellison, which i liked.
>>
File: 10835170.jpg (54KB, 311x475px) Image search: [Google]
10835170.jpg
54KB, 311x475px
>>7892760
buy the necronomicon and this and you'll be all set.
>>
You'll never, ever, in your lifetime get a proper, complete and checked complete works of Lovecraft, Arkham House doesn't allow it.
>>
>>7894338
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Fiction-Lovecraft-Knickerbocker-Classics/dp/1631060015

That isn't the complete collection? It's what I have, and it has a ton of his stories, including a lot of really dumb and shitty ones.
>>
>>7893137
>>7893143
really wish i hadnt bought these, joshi can go to hell
>>
>>7894402
No.

>Edited by Joshi
>No Collaborations and no Ghostwritten stories
>Mistakes and poor formatting out the fucking ass
>>
>>7894419
Apparently they released a revised edition that corrected all of the mistakes. I have that edition, I noticed no errors (Although obviously I'm not perfect and don't have the originals to compare against)
>>
>>7892760
Necronomicon desu
>>
this >>7893882
It has all his notable stories and it's bargain priced so you don't embarrass yourself paying more than $7 for a fedora meme author.
>>
>>7894455
fuck off retard, only cthulhu is a meme and any reddit shits that go "omg muh cthulhu so nerdy xddd" have never even read Lovecraft. Go up to any retard wearing some faggot cthulhu shirt and ask them where Cthulhu came from, most probably don't even know and those that do probably still haven't read it.
>>
File: no.gif (2MB, 350x193px) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
2MB, 350x193px
>>7894419
>wanting disgusting fucking collaboration Derleth shit
>wanting shit like cthyllah, cthulhu's beloved daughter
>>
>>7894554
His collaboration work with Zealia Bishop was pretty good though.
>>
>>7894592
I apologize, I'm a retarded person and by collaboration I was thinking of the stuff written after he died by people like August Derleth.
>>
>>7894609
I haven't read anything by Derleth, but I'm very reluctant to take Joshi's word for how bad they supposedly are.
>>
>>7894626
They are absolutely terrible and anything related to the so called "cthulhu mythos" (a term Derleth popularized despite Lovecraft explicitly hating it in life) that wasn't written by Lovecraft is utter garbage. He turned the old ones into mythology god-figures, cthulhu has children he loves and cares for and is aligned as the god of the sea or some shit and a ton of retarded awful OC donut steel characters were introduced.

I have massive respect for Derleth on the fact that without him, Lovecraft's work would have been lost to obscurity and much of it would have literally never been seen by the public, but all of his writing is utterly offensive to everything Lovecraftian.
>>
>>7894643
>>7894609
On the other-hand I've heard Robert E. Howard wrote a bunch of Lovecraftian stories that were on par with Lovecraft himself.
>>
>>7894643
The same thing happened with Robert E. Howard's Conan works and Lin Carter and L. Sprague DeCamp.

They saved Conan from obscurity in the 70s, but everything they added was pure fanfic garbage.
>>
>>7894674
Because Howard utilized the concept of the Old Ones in his stories without trying to mimic Lovecraft.

Howard was writing Howard stories with Lovecraft vibes, whereas Derleth was just trying to write Lovecraft stories.
>>
File: Innsmouth.png (546KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
Innsmouth.png
546KB, 612x792px
>>7894705
And Derleth utterly and completely failed. The ENTIRE POINT of Lovecraftian "gods" is that they are NOT GODS. They are just utterly uncaring incomprehensible alien lifeforms that, in comparison to us, make us realize how infinitesimally small and weak we are in the universe, and that maybe there is something that makes Cthulhu look like an ant.

To turn them into greco-roman, strictly aligned god figures that feel human emotion is the equivalent of someone writing a Dracula story where Dracula is a sunny day loving philanthropist and trying to push it as canon while not even realizing what you got wrong.
>>
>>7894705
Also, Howard was 50 times the writer Derleth was.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.