[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any other practical philosophies in the modern age?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 1459712860081.png (209KB, 550x716px) Image search: [Google]
1459712860081.png
209KB, 550x716px
Are there any other practical philosophies in the modern age?
>>
File: 1340769955751.gif (478KB, 140x105px) Image search: [Google]
1340769955751.gif
478KB, 140x105px
tao, buddhism to an extent
stirner

but zizek is right about it, tfw
>>
If you are truly great you will force the world to bend to your chosen philosophy until it is practical by default.
>>
>>7890753
He's right about Buddhism or Egoism? Could you link a response of Zizek's to Egoism?
>>
File: 1447615078470.png (585KB, 855x643px) Image search: [Google]
1447615078470.png
585KB, 855x643px
>Stoicism
>>
>>7890763
he's right about stoicism, epicureanism, buddhism, taoism, etc.
note that, when you get down to the fundamental ideas of each, they are roughly the same. detachment.

http://www.lacan.com/zizek-self.htm

>The recourse to Taoism or Buddhism offers a way out of this predicament which definitely work better than the desperate escape into old traditions: instead of trying to cope with the accelerating rhythm of the technological progress and social changes, one should rather renounce the very endeavor to retain control over what goes on, rejecting it as the expression of the modern logic of domination - one should, instead, "let oneself go," drift along, while retaining an inner distance and indifference towards the mad dance of the accelerated process, a distance based on the insight that all this social and technological upheaval is ultimately just a non-substantial proliferation of semblances which do not really concern the innermost kernel of our being... One is almost tempted to resuscitate here the old infamous Marxist cliche of religion as the "opium of the people," as the imaginary supplement of the terrestrial misery: the "Western Buddhist" meditative stance is arguably the most efficient way, for us, to fully participate in the capitalist dynamics, while retaining the appearance of mental sanity.

basically the rise of eastern philosophies / religions (and to a lesser extent stuff like stoicism) is a symptom of how fucked up civilization really is, and increasingly is.
i don't know if zizek has written on stirner's egoism. but imo it's very hard to be a 'true' egoist. most egoists on here seem to blend it with something else, usually a 'stoic' philosophy (as i do)
>>
hegel.
>>
if a philosophy isnt practical its garbage desu
>>
>>7890784
Though I agree with this I don't see why this wouldn't be true of nearly all other societies. Buddhism/eastern shit is good for detachment from reflexive involvement to either no involvement if seemingly no good can be done or mindful involvement if it can.

A good stance regardless of the state of the society I'd say
>>
>>7890820
yeah but i can't help feel i've been forced into some kind of ideological corner. like i've become a parody of myself because of how fucked up everything is continuously getting and we're all being forced into cocoons of stoicism and eastern philosophy because it's increasingly difficult to live a fulfilling life otherwise. there's all this philosophy and perspective out there that isn't necessarily wrong, it's just that if you try to abide by it in the modern world it will eat you from the inside.

i do agree that it's they're all a 'good stance regardless' though.
>>
>>7890872

Stoicism is empowering, not a cocoon to hide inside.
>>
>>7890872
How the hell is a view point that allows me to get out of my room without trying to kill myself "hiding in a cocoon"?

This is the same typical Marxist/Christian drivel as always: "Don't you see? It's capitalism/the devil that's making you act that way! And that is bad because we're not going to reach fairyland like that (not like you'll live to see it, but still)!"

This kind of people can't own up to anything in their lives, Zizek even says he does philosophy because he doesn't have a choice, he's one to talk about not retaining control!
>>
>>7891331

Zizek doesn't do philosophy.
>>
>>7891365

What does he do?
>>
>>7892334
Fart jokes and pseudointellectual wankery
>>
>>7890805
I'm not big into Phil myself but from what I've gleaned by talking to my friend, who is getting a PhD looking into the ethics of eating meat, is that philosophy is mostly about taking a philosophical stance to its extreme to see where it breaks. It has nothing to do with practicality.
>>
File: can't roof the goof.png (84KB, 299x288px) Image search: [Google]
can't roof the goof.png
84KB, 299x288px
>>7892625
>philosophy is mostly about taking a philosophical stance
>>
File: 1441674082225.png (120KB, 244x200px) Image search: [Google]
1441674082225.png
120KB, 244x200px
>>7892625
>a PhD looking into the ethics of eating meat
>>
>>7892625
That's only one process that is potentially useful in philosophy.

You have, in effect, discovered the torque wrench, and decided to call it a toolkit.

But it's a start.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.