[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which book did you think you'd hate, but ended up loving?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: ab8e203147ca709aaa8f7c656d7ec77c.jpg (291KB, 736x1106px) Image search: [Google]
ab8e203147ca709aaa8f7c656d7ec77c.jpg
291KB, 736x1106px
Which book did you think you'd hate, but ended up loving?
>>
>>7890170
I don't read books I think I'm going to hate
>>
Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn
>>
>>7890170
Captain Corelli's Mandolin
>>
>>7890170
Nausea by Jean Paul Sartre. I stopped reading after 50 pages several times. Gets really good after a hundred or so.
>>
>>7890170
The Bible. Not even joking.
>>
>>7890170
A Doll's House
>>
Master and margarita, had it sitting on a shelf since i was a kid and i thought it would have been a boring moralistic teacher-student story a la heart by de amicis
>>
>>7890170
The Sun Also Rises
>>
>>7890170

The Three Musketeers
>>
>>7890177
/bread
>>
>>7890983
have you read all the trilogy?
>>
>reading books you think you'll hate

akratic kunnies the lot of youse
>>
>>7890997
>>/ck/
>>
>>7891001
>ck
?
>>
>>7890170
I've never loved anything let alone a book
>>
>>7890170
The General in his Labyrinth by García Márquez. Didn't want to like it, but after finishing it and letting some time pass, I started remembering certain passages and images, even some well-timed words, and realized it was actually a pretty good novel. Not great, but not merely decent either.
>>
Cloud Atlas.
>>
>>7890170
>>
>>7891006
cause it's a candy LoL
>>
V. Tbh.

There are some funny lines, but just the entire tone was boring
>>
Wuthering Heights
>>
>>7890170
On Such A Full Sea, by Chang-Rae Lee
>>
A room of One's own

instead Woolf pulled me in with insightful criticism and some decent prose
>>
>>7890795
>this
Praise the Lord. Praise Him.
>>
Pride and Prejudice
>>
Anna Karenina
I was really reluctant to read a book about woman but thankfully there is so much more to the book than her. Levin on his farm, hunting with his dog or just mowing the grain. Plus you also had Vronsky being alpha as fuck. Well worth the read
>>
>>7890196
Good to hear. Im around 50 pages in now and finding it a bit hard
>>
War with the Newts
>>
>>7890170
siddhartha

I expected the Alchemist
>>
>>7890170
Book of the New Sun
>Hah, what is this big worded pretentious shit? Man, what a joke.
>>
>>7891268
Can't tell if trolling. But I agree. The Waves is my pick. Also, Djuna Barnes's Nightwood
>>
Gone Girl
>>
Absalom, Absalom. Never read any of Faulkner before, and considering the premise I thought it would be a pretty big let down, but it turned out to br actually engaging. It's mainly just the god tier prose that holds it together.
>>
>>7891698
>god-tier prose
hehehe le corncob man with good prose? go back to the cornfields
>>
>>7891700
All memes aside, his prose is pretty much on level with that of Pynchon's.
>>
Atlas Shrugged
>>
>>7890170
None. I don't read books I think I won't like. I read books that I think sound interesting or entertaining
>>
>>7891072
>>>/v/
>>
>>7890170

Pride and Prejudice.
>>
The Da Vinci Code

sometimes you just got to release the inner pleb
>>
Jane Eyre
>>
To kill a mocking bird

I thought is was going to be terrible. Never read it in highschool. So I gave it a shot and it wasn't bad. Everyone also would tell me Hemingway was boring but I really loved old man and the sea.
>>
>>7893193
Same. Angels & Demons as well

The Lost Symbol was kind of pushing it though
>>
>>7891427
>>7893178
What pushed you away initially?
>>
>>7891700
I'd ask you to define "good prose," but I know you can't.
>>
>>7893193
it was maybe acceptable as a one off,
but beyond a point i realised its just a guy running around instantly getting clues to weird levers and doors and etc that have clearly somehow remained unknown for centuries in a matter or seconds without fail

its like an enid blyton story book but actually less complex
>>
>>7891074
read op's question again.
>>
>>7890170
ur mom and Paradise
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.