[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

who is the literary critic equivalent to piero scaruffi?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: index.jpg (5KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 209x241px
apart from scaruffi
>>
a clueless pleb? all of /lit/
>>
even on /lit/ i cant escape scaruffi threads
>>
>>7884029

He covers such a broad range, not just of literary genres but of different media, that I would first want to liken him to some other critic-at-large.
>>
>>7884033
i just want to read interesting viewpoints on literature, sometimes with ridiculous generalizations and post-ironic meming
>>
>>7884053

we don't need that faggot shit for /lit/

/lit/ is still an unmolested homeland with intellectual memes. Please keep your gay shit on /mu/.
>>
>>7884053
Read reviews? How simple are ppl on this board? Not able to google?
>>
>>7884084
>>7884080
its just fun to read a certain well formulated viewpoint on an art, idk man some people are just like that. I don't care much about the review rating part it's just fun reading about an informed person's opinions on it. something along the lines of nabokov's lectures on russian literature, but online would be cool
>>
>>7884094

Except Nabokov was intelligent, respected, and contributed to the artform with a great novel. He also discussed deep topics about literary theory itself and wasn't just someone who gave ratings.

Name a single music critic who is that. All music critics are idiots who wear taste like a fashion show. I bet this scaruffi guy doesn't even know music theory. Neither do any of the pitchfork assholes or Anthony Fantano.

/mu/ is coming from an area where they think it's cool to literally rip other people's songs off and resample them into their own "artwork".

What I am saying here is I think /mu/ is cancer and so is Scaruffi.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 551x633px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 551x633px
>>7884112
>parroting le sampling is bad maymay

How does it feel to have poor taste?
>>
>>7884112
scaruffi can be fairly interesting mate, he's quite educated (masters in mathematics, lecturer at stanford) and has spent his life writing on the topic. those other critics you mentioned are shit of course. obviously scaruffi can be a bit of a fool on occasion, but his website is a fairly interesting resource for discovering music. his books on the history of rock music are also quite interesting in how he links together various genres, and as to which musicians he considers most important to each scene. I'm just asking to see if there is an online literary equivalent to this in depth sort of analysis really.
>>
>>7884126
lol stop swallowing memes and read up on scaruffi. he is literally the definition of a hack.

in particular his academic affiliations are jokes - he lists off affiliations with big schools but if you investigate you'll find they all have giant asterisks. mostly through association with affiliated institutions and not the actual schools themselves, often at pay-to-speak lecture events. basically scaruffi presents payign to speak at an event organized by an associated institution of, say, berkeley for example as equivalent to "lecturer at Berkeley," which is like me saying i performed at carnegie hall because i tuned a piano on stage there once. if nothing else it speaks to his academic and intellectual dishonesty.
>>
>>7884112
>Name a single music critic who is that
Tovey
Hanslick
Berlioz
Heine
Fuck off, pseud.
>>
File: 1459283658323.jpg (231KB, 1231x1300px)
1459283658323.jpg
231KB, 1231x1300px
>>7884119

See this shit? Totally proving my point.

It's suddenly a meme now to object to creative entropy. /mu/ doesn't draw any lines in the sand, because if it's fashionable: it's in.
>>
>>7884146

Name one that isn't dead you nerd. These are acceptable answers though if we weren't comparing to /mu/ meme critics.
>>
>>7884145
regardless, he has shown me music that I would not have found using mainstream online critics.
>>
>>7884112
>/mu/ is coming from an area where they think it's cool to literally rip other people's songs off and resample them into their own "artwork".

what are you referring to specifically? i don't go to /mu/
>>
>>7884154
>shown
>watching music
>>
>>7884152
Fuck, I was going to say Rosen and Harnoncourt until I double checked.
>>
>>7884155
he's talking about sound collage, which is a quite interesting genre. It's just taking samples of other music to make new music. I think he's referring to the ironic meme music that people on mu make for a laff. Some sound collage (eg vampire rodents) is quite good
>>
>>7884168
ok harnoncourt i understand cause he's recent but rosen? friend it's been over 3 years
>>
>>7884160
mate.
>>
>>7884170
i thought /mu/ might have been doing something like that and i was hoping it was bad because i was thinking about doing something like that too but i hadn't really sought it out. i got the idea from collage and appropriation in the visual arts so what he was talking about seemed interesting but i was hoping it was something like girl talk or vaporwave or something else i don't think is very good
>>
>>7884185
sound collage as a genre has been around since the mid 20th century friendo
>>
>>7884197
well obviously since music is usually about 50 years behind the visual arts but it wasn't what i was thinking of anyway
>>
>>7884155

Sampling is something niggers used to do for rap beats because they didn't have the money/talent for instruments, so DJing and using MPCs and stuff became the norm for beats.

Eventually, a few of them became extremely good at it, and it became one of the mainstays of contemporary stoner white music culture. Suddenly, everyone with musical aspirations and a pirated FL Studio could make trippy flylo beats from ripped off jazz samples from youtube downloads on offliberty.com

Of course I'm generalizing, sampling has very complex historical roots and takes place across many genres of music. It's not all bad either, but the glorification of "plunderphonics" is really worrying to me for the artform as a whole.

Not everyone is a JDilla, most people don't know how much effort it takes to really take the raw component of a song, chop them up, and make something REALLY original sounding. So 98% of it just sounds like a modified version of the original song.

Mostly though, I have become more depressed with the lack of interest in learning music theory or any instrument at all by most musicians. It seems like anybody can make shitty music these days and get it passed as good, especially with how popular rap and sub-genres of rap are.

Knowing music theory and playing an instrument doesn't make you better though. It seems If you know how to play an instrument you are either a terrible indie-folk-rock artist, or you are some fedora heavy metal dreamtheater wizard.
>>
>>7884211
why are we arguing about this bullshit. triphop is boring, vampire rodents are way cooler. anyway who is a good online writer on literature
>>
>>7884211
i didn't get very far into your post before i realised it wasn't worth reading
>>
>>7884112
>>7884145

scaruffi is most likely one of the world's foremost experts on "rock" music and generally has insightful things to say on the subject. i won't pretend he has anything groundbreaking to say about classical or literature or any of the other idioms he comments on, but if you don't acknowledge his contributions to rock music criticism you're simply being disingenuous.
>>
Probably the guy who runs cosmoetica.com
>>
>>7884112
I'm sure there's plenty of academic writing on contemporary composers like Saariaho, Golijov, Ades, etc
>>
>its another non/lit/ thread from /mu/
wew i guess :(
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.