[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travel the world then read books, or read books then travel the world?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

File: tumblr_mijeg8h0io1qa7gx5o1_1280.jpg (762KB, 785x900px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mijeg8h0io1qa7gx5o1_1280.jpg
762KB, 785x900px
Travel the world then read books, or read books then travel the world?
>>
Neither; read the world then travel books.
>>
File: image.png (93KB, 467x496px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
93KB, 467x496px
>>7850138
>>
>>7850138
>>7850144
/thread.
>>
>>7850134
it's possible to read while travelling
>>
File: get a load of.jpg (47KB, 471x361px) Image search: [Google]
get a load of.jpg
47KB, 471x361px
>>7850186
oh yes anon I see people walking around while reading all the time...

seriously that's really unsafe.
>>
>>7850134
Travel the world then read book; As human physical prowess decreases, travelling will become more difficult, but reading will be as possible as ever and you will have extra time on your hands.
>>
Do both, simultaneously, your whole life.
>>
Stay at home and watch tv
>>
>>7850134

>traveling meme

It gets old when you have done it once or twice.

Anything more than that and you are just being a pretentious fucktard. You will never have the balls to explore truly untouched beautiful lands because you risk a lot.

Just be a member of society like everyone else, and read books as a hobby. This romantic view of "travel" is reddit-tier hedonism.
>>
>>7850339
Geez buddy do you want any sides to go with that order of edge
>>
>>7850346

I'm sorry if you're not mature enough of a person to understand where I am coming from yet, but you will know soon.
>>
Travel when you're young. Reading will still be there when you're old but your youthful energy will not be.
>>
>>7850359
Lovely non-response there comrade thanks for explaining your detailed opinions on why you're a jaded loser
>>
>>7850376

What are you doing here shouldn't you be asking your mom for money so you can go on your next sick mountain bike road trip with your friends? Maybe take some sick LSD in the forest and have a life changing experience Amigo.
>>
stay at home and read books
>>
OP here

The idea was more in the lines of whether books will increase your ability to look at the world in a way where you can appreciate its richness, or is it not necessary and you can enjoy the world to the similar extent without being previously subjected to poetry and fiction and the various angles they revealed.
>>
>>7850469
It's gotta be both, right? The Lake District will mean something different to me having read Wordsworth, but its beauty can be encountered without him. Paris is a beautiful city, but the experience was different after I'd read Les Miserable or Hemmingway. I don't know how one would argue for either option.

In general, though, my principle would be this: Primum vivere, deinde philosophari
>>
>>7850517

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur, anon
>>
>>7850134
Travel the world through books, is what I say. Well, I'm too poor to travel otherwise anyway.
>>
>>7850517
>>7850543
I'd rather primum bibere, deinde philosophari, then.
>>
>>7850543
>Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
Why the fuck do you think I wrote it that way?

In plebblish, then: Live first, then philosophize. By which I mean close the book and get out of the basement and go out into the world, wherever that may be. The book and its potential for enrichment will be there when you return.
>>
>>7850387
Someone's bitter.
>>
>>7850610

Yeah, maybe I should just go back to thinking if I travel the world I am going to become a better person and thus by becoming a better person I am helping society.

There is literally no point in traveling than pure self-gratification. If books are merely just that most of the time, at least books are cheap and you aren't begging for time off work or worse yet, begging for money on kickstarter, to go travel to some shitty location.

The romantic visualization of "traveling the world" is for young naive women fresh out of college and out of a job.

How about you get a job that involves travel? Maybe then you will see where I am coming from. The world isn't an Indiana Jones adventure, it's full of real fucking danger and poverty.
>>
>>7850134
Read first. You'll be interesting when you travel. You should also bring books.
>>
travelling the world sounds better than it is.

read books and stay home
>>
>>7852277
Says someone who has never travelled.
>>
>>7852293
I have, its stressful.
>>
>>7850699
I'd like to thank you for not travelling. Please stay home.
>>
Stop it, you can do both.
>>
>>7850202
Srsly. I was reading a us history on my way home and found myself walking upstream on a 4 lane major road by accident.
>>
>>7850237
Mental capacity can also decrease with time. I don't even mean being an 80 year old fugg with Alzheimer's and vision problems. Even if you're still sharp, the days of your best thinking are gone -- your interpretation of what you read, opinions and connections will be weaker.
>>
Neither. Stay at home, talk about books you haven't read in /lit, upset some people and die inside slowly and painfully.
>>
>>7850699
This anon's got it right. Traveling has become another mark of social standing, a means for vapid narcissists to take photos of themselves looking attractive in attractive places and post them on instagram. Not that people shouldn't travel, but it's also a meme made popular by spoiled twenty-something women. I think there's a distinction of some kind between exploration and tourism.
>>
>>7852427
oh, anon-kun, no. it's always been this way
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Tour
>>
>>7852427
Bourdieu already said it like 40 years ago. Your photo with the eiffel tower in facebook is nothing else but a display that you can afford to go to paris and visit the eiffel tower.
>>
>>7850339
>You will never have the balls to explore truly untouched beautiful lands because you risk a lot.
Or because that barely exists anymore, and unless you have tons of money you will never be able to go there.
>>
>>7850359
Sorry for your loss of excitement about life, anon. Not everyone matures to be a bitter cunt.
>>
Smoke weed and then play The Elder Scrolls
>>
>>7850699
There is literally no point to life than pure self-gratification.
>>
>>7852521
the 2000s were great
>>
>>7852542
If this is how you spent the 2000s, then yeah, they were pretty fucking nice.
Gained a lot of weight from it though.
>>
More like travel the world then write books.
>>
>>7852534
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7850517
Philosophari sounds like a Jamaican sect of existentialism.
>>
>>7850339
Not everyone's a bitch like you.

Some people enjoy travelling because they enjoy travelling.

I bet you get upset when you see people smiling.
>>
>>7850134
Transcend the traveling/reading dichotomy.
>>
Read books on the plane
>>
Neither
>>
File: hustle.jpg (87KB, 640x625px) Image search: [Google]
hustle.jpg
87KB, 640x625px
>>7850699

>Yeah, maybe I should just go back to thinking if I travel the world I am going to become a better person and thus by becoming a better person I am helping society.

By meeting new people with different views on life this will happen. You will actually become a well-rounded person who had seen the problems of the world with their own eyes not through the lens of a camera.

>There is literally no point in traveling than pure self-gratification.

What about to see new places? Try new foods? See different cultures? Meet new people? Experience different environments? Why are you so close-minded?

>If books are merely just that most of the time, at least books are cheap and you aren't begging for time off work or worse yet, begging for money on kickstarter, to go travel to some shitty location.

You work in a job that you don't get holiday pay? What 3rd world country do you live in?

>The romantic visualization of "traveling the world" is for young naive women fresh out of college and out of a job.

I'm a 30 year old man who has been working his whole adult life and most of his teenage years. I love traveling.

>Maybe then you will see where I am coming from.

You just sound jaded

>The world isn't an Indiana Jones adventure, it's full of real fucking danger and poverty.

Why don't you get mummy to wrap you up in your security blanket and never leave your room. I bet you're a NEET.
>>
>>7850339
>>7850699
>>7850368
You're seeing the view that normies take towards travel and applying it universally. If you have the capacity to understand after seeing you'll understand more the more you see.
>>
Travel the world by reading the books.
>>
Get into anime and obtain social anxiety
>>
File: 0903242332.jpg (72KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
0903242332.jpg
72KB, 375x500px
>>7852377
>walking from my office to the parking garage
>reading Anna Karenina as I go
>co-worker calls out
>Hey anon! Isn't that heavy?
>Look up
>I'm in the middle of a grass field stretched out in an unbroken carpet of green
>mfw
>>
>>7850202
>not taking the train/subway
>>
Travel is literally the № 1 pleb hobby and has as much worth as travelling to the toilet to take a shit.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.