[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In your own words, what is modernism and what is postmodernism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

File: joycejames.jpg (48KB, 1140x712px) Image search: [Google]
joycejames.jpg
48KB, 1140x712px
In your own words, what is modernism and what is postmodernism?
>>
one isn't for degenerate faggots. sage
>>
>>7840346
Uh. Were you going say which one was for faggots?
>>
Newspaper and television
>>
>>7840353
But why?
>>
>>7840342
Peak of human achievement

Cancer (but clumsy, facetious cancer)
>>
>>7840362
So in your opinion have there been any postmodern works of value?
>>
The general academic connotation of these groupings. Remember, they are terms of art, not vague 'I feel like he's weird so he's post modern' Modern: post Descartes
Postmodern: influenced by or in response to Hegel (even in derivative fashion)
>>
>>7840372
The approach can be interesting, so there's definitely space for that

It's just the ''empty postmodernist'' works that are aggravating and pointless
>>
>>7840384
I think I get what you mean. Do you have any examples of the empties?
>>
Modernism is like going to the new hairdresser.
Post-modernism is like going to the new hairdresser and talk about it with other customers
>>
>>7840355
The respective limitations and capabilities of those media
>>
>>7840397
Talking about it with other customers at the hairdresser or after you've left?
>>
>>7840342
Sex outside of marriage and sex outside.
>>
>>7840395
I've once read a decent essay on it but the concepts and works seemed so deterring that I didn't bother memorizing them
>>
>>7840421
kek
>>
>>7840410
at the hairdresser
>>
Modernism is the attempt to build an edifice of civilization upon a foundation of rationality.

Post-Modernism is an attempt to make sure the foundations aren't shaky and if they are, come up with replacements.
>>
>>7840431
false

>>7840421
more like
>consensual sex with your brother's wife
>ironic sex with your brother, his dog and some tree in his garden
>>
>>7840431
What the fuck are you on about, mate? Modernism, as in the surrealists and dadaists and stream of consciousness and futurists were trying to construct a rational world?
>>
Modernism is a style that preceded post-modernism, and was in fact a heavy influence of post-modernism which came after. :^)

Modernism is the domain of Pound, and authors he educated. There were a network that cut their teeth in Paris. Joyce and others produced some of the greatest works of literature of all time.

Postmodernism is the embodiment of modern U.S.A. college education. It lacks all of the things that made modernism great while attempting to be "edgy" and "original" in the process. "Post-modernism" is a bit of a phony term anyway.
>>
>>7840474
I should have noted that this definition pertains more to philosophy than literature -- although if you feel like being contrarian I'm sure you can still complain.
>>
modernism: final fantasy
postmodernism: earthbound
>>
>>7840575
Are you meaning postmodernism is better?
>>
modernism is refering to modern stuff like "new and current" like if i buy a future looking kitchen sofa its rferred to as "modern"

post modern is what comes after modern but before the future
>>
the main difference between the two is that Modernism is written with a big M and postmodernism is written with a small p
>>
>>7841796
the only correct answer itt so far
>>
>>7840346
/thread
>>
>>7840426
>argument
>>
>>7840474
>criticising modernist 'rationality' through a contemporary perspective

What was 'rational' to modernist authors (and in fact this is noticable across the development of the novel form itself) was the centred subjective experience of the mind qua Descartes, and its translation into literary expression - it might not seem rational, but has there ever been a mode of writing more accurate in its reconstruction of what it is to be a thinking thing than stream-of-consciousness? Its highly unlikely.
>>
>>7840426
Is no one going to make fun of this faggot?
>>
>>7844093
shut up faggot
>>
>>7840435
You are not witty or funny, should have left it as it was. No one cares about what you have to say.
>>
>>7840575
>>/v/
Once you stop being a manchild you can come back.
>>
>>7840421
So what school of thought would an affair in a park be?
>>
>>7840421
lel
>>
post modernism is something the leftists came up with to degrade western civilization down to nothing
>>
>>7840395
to give a better answer than that guy: if "postmodernism" means "after modernism", that is to say, dealing with the recognition of the failures of modernism (because i think it is absolutely the case that pomo artists understand and deal with modernism), "empty" pomo is pomo that simply reduces modernism to the repetition of empty banalities, instead of working through its issues in a meaningful way. the approach of empty pomo is, to put it in a sentence, "oh, the aspirations of modernism are fantasy, and we recognize that now, so we're past it all, right?", this leads to the idea that, insofar as we are "past" modernism's fantasies, we can just do whatever we please; banalize modernism and make art about balloon dogs or whatever; this is the art of Jeff Koons and so on. Robert Gober, Haim Steinback, et al, are all implicit in this attitude, although Koons is the worst of all the "empty pomo" artists to me. Not all pomo is this way, though - take Cindy Sherman or Martha Wilson, for example, they both have postmodernist methodologies that avoid the contradictions of the other kinds of postmodernism i mentioned thru their use of seriality, which is tight. lacan and stuff; you can't just "picture" the real, you have to work through it.
>>
Modernism was a bunch if authors deciding to say fuck Victorian Literature, and then doing their own thing

Postnodernism was a bunch of authors going "Fuck! There's nothing left to write, let's just mash the keyboard and wrote some off the wall shit because that's like the only thing no one's done yet."
Also most of them were lit majors so they had to add in a bunch of references to other people's works that they had read
>>
Modernism is a statement
Postmodernism is a question
>>
>cmd-f "latour"
>0 replies

then the thread has gone nowhere and only garners responses like this one
>>7845480
>>
>>7840342
modernism (in the visual arts at least) is concerned with showing the formal elements of the art - for painting it is the paint and the canvas. For example colour field paintings, also early modernist painters like Monet or Van Gogh show paint strokes rather than a perfectly realistic representation.

Post-Modernism is simply everything that came after modernism. Artists want things outside of the narrow confines of modernism to be considered art.

(Note there are plenty of exceptions to the rule i.e. surrealist painting or Duschamp who would be considered more a post-modernist today)
>>
>>7845517
Or perhaps you could say modernism seeks the essence of things, post-modernism is about stuff other than that - a reaction against the confines of modernism.
>>
File: 1451738787502.jpg (270KB, 1200x767px) Image search: [Google]
1451738787502.jpg
270KB, 1200x767px
premodern thought: faith in narratives

modernist thought: skepticism of current narratives

postmodernist thought: skepticism of all narratives

modernist styles: minimalism, maximalism, surrealism, fragmentation

postmodernist styles: intertextuality, collage, irony
>>
>>7840342
>2▶>>7840362 >>7840421 >>7845517
>In your own words, what is modernism and what is p
'
Modernism is an attempt to grapple with the rapidly changing reality, and pomo is going ah fuck it and masturbating over a statement of Iranian war crimes.
>>
>>7845533
Great post.
>>
File: our lord and savior.jpg (36KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
our lord and savior.jpg
36KB, 1280x720px
After modernism. It's a very useful catch-all term, because you say it and we all nod soberly as if we know what we're talking about when, in fact, we don't.

When I mean post modernism, I'm talking about maybe the black humorists who came along in the 1960s, the post Nabakovians; I'm talking about Pynchon, and Barthelme, and Barth, DeLillo in the early '70s...
>>
>>7845533
decent post but your "styles" are all fucked. unless you have pop-art in mind, collage was an entirely modern approach.
>>
>>7845533
>pomo: intertextuality, collage, irony
Terrible, apply yourself
>>
>>7845480
That's a very postmodern statement
>>
>>7840435
>>7844751

I laughed.
>>
Alright...so no one actually knows what post-modernism is. But, for some reason, we as a literary society find books about old men masturbating to teenagers, malcolm x getting fucked in a sewer, pie fights in the sky, and incest, to be very appealing.

Strange.
>>
modernism places emphasis on the self, on the nature of identity, and seeks to take literary convention to its perfected end

postmodernism rejects an insoluble self, sees identity as fluid, and looks to stand entirely outside convention and tradition
>>
>>7846957
>postmodernism rejects an insoluble self, sees identity as fluid, and looks to stand entirely outside convention and tradition
So... degenerate?
>>
>>7840342
Modernism is fucking your wife

Postmodernism is watching another man fuck your wife and proving play by play critique of the power structures and cultural biases which inform every aspect of this interaction
>>
most propagates of post-modernism are jewish if that tells you anything
>>
>>7847451
there is a point of view that could view this perspective as degenerate, but that point of view isn't by default correct, obviously
>>
>>7847589
if you have any insight or intelligence at all you can see the damage postmodernism has done to society. if you think that its not technically correct you have something wrong with you
>>
>>7847605
>>7847451
it's the zeitgest, grandpa
>>
Duck Roll and meta-memes
>>
>>7840435
>>7840575
>>7847461
BOTH MODERNISTS AND POSTMODERNISTS AGREE: YOU AREN'T FUCKING FUNNY
>>
modernism is what's out today and postmodernism is what's coming out tomorrow
>>
postmodernism was developed by cultural marxists to bring down the foundations of western culture in order to reach their communist dictatorship
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.