[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pnin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: pnin.png (548KB, 615x809px) Image search: [Google]
pnin.png
548KB, 615x809px
What do you think of Nabokov's Pnin?
I feel it's often overlooked, because it might not be as 'shocking' as Lolita (which probably isn't much of a shocker nowadays anyway).
I recently read some of his essays, short stories and books and feel this might be the most nuanced one of them, especially how the narration changes and how the narrator actually transforms from a neutral, omniscient one into an active character of the book
>>
To me it was underwhelming. It was charming in ways and it was OK as a character study but I enjoyed Lolita considerably more.

It's put me on the fence as to whether or not I'll pick up Pale Fire any time soon.
>>
>>7839445
I might have enjoyed it more, because I actually wrote a uni paper about it and Lolita less, because it suffered that cruel fate of overexposition.

I didn't read Pale Fire yet, sounds interesting, but Ada is probably the go-to book for me, although it's a bit of an academic choice
>>
File: tmp_29305-images-598887975.png (5KB, 257x196px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_29305-images-598887975.png
5KB, 257x196px
Haha :D Pnin!
>>
File: 1441819098003.jpg (46KB, 590x590px) Image search: [Google]
1441819098003.jpg
46KB, 590x590px
>>7839445
I agree. Just finished it yesterday.
Underwhelming only because it's by Nabokov, which made me have certain expectations.
It was very enjoyable nonetheless.

I'm thinking of reading Laughter in the Dark next, or Pale Fire.
>>
>>7839445
>>7840238
>these plebs completely missed the "secret" plot of pnin

lmao every time.

skip pale fire you're probably too dumb to read it.
>>
File: 232.jpg (51KB, 407x355px) Image search: [Google]
232.jpg
51KB, 407x355px
>>7840256
oh no
>>
>>7839445
Pale Fire has more pervo crap in it, which is all people read Nabokov for anyhow.
>>
>>7839417
I love it. It's a really simple set of stories that manages to be charming, sad, and hilarious at the same time. I love how deliberate Nabokov's writing is, it's as if there's a hidden joke or reference in every sentence. I'll read it again when my english is better.

I've only read it and Lolita though, so I don't know how it ranks among his works.
>>
>>7840256
Can you explain how the secret plot works? I've been thinking about reading Pnin as my last pre-read for Pale Fire and I don't know if it's worth it.
>>
>>7839480
Ada is the bomb diggity

>>7840268
surely the prose /
>>
Only read a Finnish translation, least favorite from Nabokov, but should probably read the original, I'm sure a lot of it's lost in translation.
>>
>>7840256
you talking about his whole first love thing?

if so than no I didn't miss it
>>
What did everyone think of Pale Fire

I found it interesting
>>
>>7840545
I haven't read it but the concept sounds really cool. I like how Nabokov does weird format stuff to utilize and accentuate the novel archetype.
>>
I like it as much or more than Lolita, though Pale Fire is his masterpiece. It's more of an out-and-out comedy than either of those though, possibly his funniest book.

I think it might be best examined as a short story cycle centered on a single character than as a novel.
>>
>>7840457
he actually made a comment toward the end of his life that he wish he wrote his novels in Finnish
>>
>>7839417
one of the worst, most boring books i've ever read. any subtle wit was sucked out by poor prose that reeked of misplaced pomposity. Strongly disappointed in the public perception of Nabokov, clearly his fame was a result of the polarizing content of Lolita.
>>
>>7841794
pretty good bait
>>
>>7841808
>bait
typical nabokov fan.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.