[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing tips maybe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Sup /lit/.
This is sorta unrelated, but I didn't know where to post it, so here it is:

I have a really hard time expressing myself through writing. I'm in my senior year of high school, and I've never gotten an A on a written assignment, essay or pretty much anything that requires writing skills. I re-read my mails multiple times before sending them. I'm pretty much incapable of writing stories or anything original. Now, you probably think I'm some sort of an autist, but I have no problem communicating with people verbally. My teachers tell me to read more and practice, but the sad thing is that I do read a lot (~2 books per week) and I practice few times a week, yet I still can't get a decent grade on a fucking high school assignment.

For example, few weeks ago we were writing an essay about "Waiting for Godot." This is one of my favourite plays, I understood it very well and read it multiple times. But when I tried to actually write about it, I just couldn't. I ended up writing a really shallow, meaningless summary of that play and got a C.

What's wrong with me, /lit/? How do I overcome this? Are there any good writing exercises or something like that? Should I just write more until I somehow get better?

Also, I apologize in advance for any grammatical errors that you may find, English is not my first language.
>>
I can't understand a word of this. What are you trying to say?
>>
>>7812675
I'm saying that I can't write for shit, and asking if there's a way to improve my writing.
>>
>>7812683
youre righting is fine. If You are that worryed about it , i would recommend keeping a journal or something. articulate your thoughts through wring at all possible times. pratcie makes perfcet
>>
>>7812693
Just to confirm -- this is satire, right?
>>
File: tai-lopez-fraud.jpg (32KB, 639x359px) Image search: [Google]
tai-lopez-fraud.jpg
32KB, 639x359px
>~2 books per week
>not reading a book a day
Well, there's your problem, OP
>>
In order to write, you need to have something unusual, topical or interesting in mind you want to express by means of your writing.

A story, a thesis, a claim, a position, even just describing something you noticed in a text or found ironic or interesting... anything really, as long as it's not blindingly obvious.

Let's say you want to write about Waiting for Godot. As you've found out, it's not enough to summarize what happens in the play, you need to take a crack at examining something deeper. How it works, what it means, the kinds of devices the writer uses and how they make the audience react, what kind of philosophy is implied by the text, whether you agree or disagree.... whatever really, as long as it's something that can be argued. In order to have the core of a successful essay, all you need to do is decide on something (almost anything) interesting and figure out a credible way to prove it.

First, make some notes about the evidence. Second, make a plan of the clearest way to present the evidence (easy -> complicated). Finally, connect your "pearls" on a thread of argument and write it all out in prose. If you see arguments against your side, mention them briefly and show how they actually support your point (or are outweighed, or are different when seen in a certain context, etc.)

A format often used in high school essays is the 5-paragraph model, tried and true. Your first paragraph makes the promise to the reader: "I'm going to show you X." Paragraphs 2, 3 and 4 present evidence in increasing complexity. Paragraph 5 ties it together and zooms out for the bigger implication.

The good news is -- writing is a skill and all it takes is practice and mindfulness and before you know it you will be better at it than your peers. So start practicing!
>>
>>7812770
Thanks for the advice, man, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>7812770
This for sure.

Also, when it comes to writing big things that are near and dear to your heart (as opposed to school essays), if that interests you at all, keep in mind that your brain only has so much shit in it to work with. You're a high school kid. The ones who got A's weren't necessarily brilliant at anything other than makework. The actual deep reasons that make you love Godot (if they are real) will streak out and develop themselves as you get older, but right now you're not gonna have much more than inclinations to work with. Even the most precocious geniuses mostly produced precocious, half-formed shit in their youth.
>>
>>7812770

One advantage you have over other student writers, OP, is that you've already developed a sense of self-criticism. You're aware that your writing isn't so great. One attribute of skilled writers is that they tend to be a little bit insecure in precisely this respect. Because don't let their poise fool you: skilled writers are always putting themselves in the shoes of the imaginary reader looking at their work and thinking "Okay... yeah, yeah, I knew that already... this is boring... why should I care?" As a result, skilled writers employ every device they know to ensure their own readers never have to experience that feeling of boredom known to so many readers of student essays. Skilled writers use humor, but with a light touch. They avoid being preachy or oracular. They are modest, but accurate in their claims in order to build a feeling of trust. They are always on the lookout for extra "bonuses" to use to keep the reader entertained - jokes, facts, surprises. They cut to the point without roundabout filler. When they summarize, they keep to a brief outline rather than repeating tiresome details. They employ swift, economical transitions to keep readers from losing the thread of the argument. They vary sentence length. They use repetition. They read Strunk and White. Above all, their #1 goal is to be clear...

I hope these notes on composition are of some use to you OP.
>>
>>7812844

Thanks a lot, dude, that's really helpful
>>
>>7812675
lol nice one
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.