[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books that have made you tear up or cry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (15KB, 187x269px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 187x269px
Books that have made you tear up or cry
>>
Where the Red Fern Grows
Shiloh
circa 2nd grade
>>
Infinite hest
>>
S A D B O Y S
>>
catch-22, stoner, growth of the soil
>>
Never let me go
>>
Harry Potter
>>
>>7794507
The Road

You have my whole heart. You always did.
>>
>>7795995
Remains of the Day is better (and ultimately sadder) in every way.
>>
>>7796984
If you liked RotD, read An Artist of the Floating World. I thought it created an excellent juxtaposition in terms of dealing with/repressing emotions in Britain and Japan. You're right in saying it was better than Nlmg. The Nlmg film was better than the book, but the film of Remains suffered as it really fucked up the political aspects and the emotional aspect was melodramatic compared to the book.
>>
The ending of Ulysses had me.
>>
That part in Gravity's Rainbow where Thomas Pynchen writes about the rockets was pretty sad.
>>
>>7794507
On Chesil Beach
>>
>>7796997
I am a big fan of AotFW as well. It and RotD are, by a significant margin, Isgiguro's best works*. I think RotD is a more impactful novel, but that may just be a result of where I was in my life when I read it.

*I know some make an argument for The Unconsoled being his best, but it didn't really work for me all that well.
>>
File: 18386.jpg (20KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
18386.jpg
20KB, 317x475px
At first I thought it was kind of boring, but then it hit me 2/3 of the way through.

I was tearing up all the way to the end until that part where his son grabs his hand at which I finally lost it and cried full on.
>>
>>7797026
I read them one after the other in the course of maybe three days at most, I think they really did fit well together.
I read Unconsoled and Buried Giant first but really disliked them, having read the others and got a better hang of what he's doing I may revisit them both. I don't suppose you know where I could download When we were orphans from? It's not on libgen.
>>
>>7797039
Don't know; I have tangible copies of most of his books. When we were Orphans is OK, but not really all that good. It is pretty straightforward. I would read A Pale View of the Hills before seeking out Orphans.

I am off mixed minds about The Buried Giant. I don't really think it worked, but I'm not sure that there is a way to make an amnesia conceit work in any memorable way in the first place.
>>
>>7797067
Hm, good point. I know he said it was his worst novel, but I'm still interested in how he went about it. I have Pale View open now.
I plan to buy hard copies of the ones I don't have when I can, I'm all for supporting living artists you admire, but I'm broke to the point of starving so I'll download whatever.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.