[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this novel good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: Contact_Sagan.jpg (42KB, 342x500px) Image search: [Google]
Contact_Sagan.jpg
42KB, 342x500px
Is this novel good?
>>
the movie was bretty good.
>>
>>7794439
Novel. I'm talking about the novel. Is it good?
>>
File: image1.jpg (402KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
402KB, 1632x1224px
>>7794440
It's pretty good - haven't read the Original language though, only a translation
>pic related
>>
>>7794468
Thanks, I'll give it a read then.
>>
>>7794437
lmao the movie was reddit before reddit was even a thing
>>
>>7794437

"His Master's Voice" by Lem is much better.
>>
>>7794497
Have you even read it?

>>7794511
>is better
I don't think so?
>>
File: stoptalking.jpg (45KB, 517x369px) Image search: [Google]
stoptalking.jpg
45KB, 517x369px
>>7794497

>I'm such a hipster faggot edge lord, if I keep shitposting le reddit meme, everyone will think I'm cool and not a newfag.

Go away. You are no longer welcome in this universe.
>>
>>7794440
Hey, I'm not >>7794439

But, the movie IS pretty good, I'm a local, never been to the satellite in arecibo, which should be ridiculous, I do know there's some silly museum and shit, but let me tell you, the only thing I find wrong with the movie, even though I haven't read the novel, is that Jodie is edgy as fuck, even though she did act great for the role, suited her well., and well, Matthew was way better in interstellar. Look up the movie on Netflix if you have the service.
>>
File: HMV LEM.jpg (25KB, 250x394px) Image search: [Google]
HMV LEM.jpg
25KB, 250x394px
>>7794524
HMV makes Contact look like fantasy of 12 year old kid.
>>
>>7794694
Stop being stupid faggot, Ebin.
>>
>>7794694
Carl Sagan Contact makes HMV look like it was written by his die hard fan.
>>
>>7794723
so continue reading your juvenile fiction.

>>7794735
it' s a shame then that Lem wrote it 17 years earlier and much better than Sagan
>>
>>7794437
reddit general?
>>
>>7794758
Much better again? Stay deluded, idiot.
>>
>>7794771
What dicks?
>>
>>7794758
>continue reading your juvenile fiction.
I'm not reading HMV :^)
>>
>>7794808
Where Sagan is full of youthful confidence in human capabilities and his mind, Lem takes more realistic approach and is critical of our chance of understanding alien civilization. Where Sagan doesn't take into account any troubles we could face decoding alien message, Lem devotes them entire book. Which attitude would you call juvenile?
>>
>>7795023
>Which attitude would you call juvenile?
The latter, though.
>>
The movie was fucking terrible.

The aliens are tremendous cunts who basically force a primitive civilization to build a massive complex fuck-huge device at great cost which rewards them with absolutely nothing except a smarmy "We're better than you" finger in the face.

Fuck that noise.
>>
>>7794511
>>7794694
>>7794524
>>7794735
>>7794808
>>7795023
>>7795144
Why not read both you fools. Both are great tbfrickingfrank.
>>
>>7795147
then, it explodes, and some other guy appears out of nowhere who's built his own machine on his own for some reason
>>
>>7795147
>The movie was fucking terrible.
I've not seem the movie. How's the book senpai?
>>
>>7795023
I like Lem but being pessimistic isn't inherently more adult; and being more adult isn't better by some mathematical formula. The issues that come with trying to communicating with a completely alien lifeforms is a theme through most of Lem's work and it's an interesting question and a great body of work. That doesn't make other works with different ideas any worse. Literature isn't a a race to some top 100 list where there's only one spot for speculative fiction about alien contact.
>>
>>7795179
Is Carl Sagan's Contact the worst, sir?
>>
>>7794440
Is the movie is really good it's implied that the source material is even better.
>>
>>7795179
wow we're all winners here on reddit, enjoy your participation price sir :)
>>
>>7795144
Ok I have now more time so I'm going to explain why I prefer Lem's novel. Lem is contemplating what is contact as such, about the nature of senders of message, about aims which could possibly inspire communication, about possible languages of communication. But as nothing certain can be said about senders semantic of message, Lem's attention is heading to human, his culture and his vision of the world. Because every good speculative fiction speaks first of all about man. That's why Lem's scientist learns not about what aliens speak to them, but what's theirs (and human in general) ideas, desires and fears related to trans-galactic communication. Some would like to find information about Others to escape from anthropocentric perspective, others would like to find some universal truth about themselves and humanity. There are also others who viewing message as evil and some as work of divine.

And don't get me wrong I like Sagan's novel for what it is - an attempt to show the reader this adventure which is scientific discovery, in this case fantastic and extraordinary. But HMV is imo better at realistically portraying first contact than rather naive Contact, which is silent about or simplify raised in Lem's novel issues. I however understand that HMV does not have to appeal to everybody. It's more like philosophic essay than adventure fiction.

>>7795179
What I mean is that Contact shallows issues raised by Lem and avoid many problems which Lem consider before.
>>
Yeah, it's good. And I'm not that into scify either.
>>
>>7795681
you seem butthurt, mate. tone it down.
>>
>>7795681

See

>>7794553

It applies to you also
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.