[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Nietzsche Are you a fan of his writing style? Who was the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Nietzsche187a.jpg (632KB, 1464x1986px) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187a.jpg
632KB, 1464x1986px
ITT: Nietzsche

Are you a fan of his writing style? Who was the best translator? What is his best book?
>>
>>7792614
>style
yes
>translator
Kaufmann (>inb4 Jewish conspiracy)
>book
The Birth of Tragedy
>>
I bet in real life Nietzsche was autistic in the exact same way that Michio Kaku is autistic and freaks out every time Jim Norton says hello to him in the elevator.

>Hey, Herr Nietzsche, good morn--
>A-ahh!! Oh, you startled me. I'm dynamite.
>>
>>7792630
I enjoy the Kaufmann translations as well, except for Zarathustra. I like the Thomas Common version desu
>>
>>7792635

nietzsche was well known for being a very pleasant person to be around in real life (when he wasn't sick), actually.
>>
>>7792656
>implying autistic people aren't pleasant to be around

<spoiler>actually no youre right</spoiler>
>>
>>7792614

>Are you a fan of his writing style?

yes yes yes 100%

Who was the best translator?

I have only read translations by Hollingdale and Kaufman, I would like to hear thoughts on this as well.

What is his best book?

Twilight of the Idols is my favorite so far.
>>
>>7792656
He was also known for being a little neurotic. He talks about 'nervous energies' in reference to himself constantly.

His landlady in Turin also claimed he regularly danced around his room naked like the legendary Beastman

Anyways, on OP

1. He is the most readable philosopher of the 19th century. His style is clear, rich with ideas, utterly animating even on secondary readings.

2. Kaufmann is the best introductory translator. Kaufmann is a bit of an apologist in some respects, so take his translations of Nietzsche's edgier bits with a grain of salt. Hollingdale benefits from decades of new scholarship in his translation so his is considered more authoritative now, but the prose wasn't as fluid in some places. I really liked the Kaufmann Zarathustra more. The Common version was a good idea in theory but utterly mangles some of Zarathustra's finer points with the KJV tomfoolery. Better to lose the biblical flair than to lose ideas.

3. Zarathustra contains every single idea he ever had and is the most artful of his books. On the Genealogy of Morality is probably his most influential today because Foucault fell in love with Nietzsche's style of historical analysis of contemporary ideas and used it in his work.
>>
how do you pronounce Nietzsche?
>>
>>7793180
Only germans can.
>>
His style is cringeworthy
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.