[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question: how can you /lit like this book so much? And

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (21KB, 181x278px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 181x278px
Serious question: how can you /lit like this book so much? And most of all, what did you/ make you enjoy it?
>>
>>7753969
i didn't like it. I liked one part, but the rest, I didn't like. I read Ulysses first anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
>>
Shit
The 2nd most pointless book ive read next to "invisible cities"
>>
I just don't get why it seems to be so appreciated here. But we are talking about Joyce, so: what am I missing?
>>
>>7753992
think of it like chekhov. he's not trying to break any boundaries, but rather to hone his art. perfecting moments in time in a conventional way.
>>
/lit/ barely goes on about this book though. They are usually memeing Wake or Ulysses
>>
>>7753992
Can't know what you are missing without you saying what you got from it in the first place. Why didn't you like them?
>>
File: bland.jpg (9KB, 425x283px) Image search: [Google]
bland.jpg
9KB, 425x283px
>>7753971
>>7753977
pure p l e b b e r y
>>
>>7754090
that's one malevolent lookin ferret.
>>
File: CEO of Valve Inc.jpg (38KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
CEO of Valve Inc.jpg
38KB, 480x640px
>>7754099
thanks
>>
>>7754107
>>7754090
I live in a country where ferrets are pretty rare, I bought one for $600 , he died in a month. What a waste of fucking money and stinks like a fucker
>>
>>7754112
maybe you shouldn't live in a country where they pass diseased animals off as pets
>>
it's well written and comfy and kinda dreamy and touching
>>
>>7754131
Considering it's a third world country, you are probably right
>>
File: image.jpg (254KB, 800x959px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
254KB, 800x959px
>>7753969
Stranger, I am Philitas. The lying word and nights' evening cares destroyed me.

https://youtu.be/fRfG0nGLEgc

>my best guess, anyway
>>
>>7753969
Didn't care much for some of the early stories, actually had a hard time adjusting to Joyce' prose. After a while I started liking it more and more; the Dead was just a work of wonder, had me bawling like I haven't done in years.
>>
>>7753969
It's Joyce's simplest but it's simple in the same way day-to-day life is simple.

The simplicity it presents on its surface belies the "complex unspoken". In many ways it's the anti-thesis to Ulysses' semiotic maximalism.
>>
>>7754271
The Dead took a turn toward the end that I honestly didn't anticipate at all. I lost it along with Gabriel when I read those last passages.
>>
boring dry pleb shit
>>
Fucking loved Dubliners, stirred so many emotions in me.

The last story, the Dead; in it was long dragging but the end made be sit and stare at the book for five minutes.
>>
>>7754519
>>7755297

There's a reason it's considered one of the best short stories of all time. That epiphany is pure soul crushing beauty.
>>
Araby is my favorite short story ever
>>
>>7755383
Make matters worse, I think at least every man here can relate with it. And then you cry.
>>
>>7755416
I was definitely on the verge of tears by the end. The way Joyce captured that sadness without being explicit was incredible.
>>
>>7753969
It feels genuine and authentic to the setting. I also found some of the short stories genuinely interesting, like the girl who was to play a series of live performances for a local variety show, but her mother taints her opportunities by asking when she'll get paid, causing the girl just to give up.

I must admit, some of the short stories didn't land so well with me, but overall I enjoyed it. I will have to re-read it again sometime.
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 553x656px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 553x656px
Should've been called 'Dublin Elegies' IMO.

Anyone familiar with the Greek elegiac poets? Do you own the Greek Anthology?
>>
The whole thing is great. But I was not at all moved by the dead, not even contrarian-ing. In fact, the people that carry on about it being this profound reading experience (see above), I doubt highly.

Grace is GOAT tho.
>>
>>7753977
embarrassing
but well baited
>>
>>7754075
With the exception of the last story, the longer and better one ( The Dead), I can't but finding the others too plain at the point that lot of them seems kind of pointless. I know that was premeditated in a certain way ( cause they are part of the imageries of a city that's stuck in its redundant, meaningless existence) but I can't avoid to feel like it's a little bit more than a mediocre realisation. Good for an average writer, maybe, but not for an author like Joyce.
>>
>>7755397
That one gives me such chills. The way he captures a sort of wordless feeling
>>
Just started this, I don't get The Sisters... at all
>>
>>7759045
Well, what do you think it's about?
>>
>>7759053
A guy dying.
>>
>>7755397
I'm about halfway through the collection and it's my favourite so far. Although i've loved every single one of them. Joyce has pulled off a powerful ending every single time.
>>
>>7759063
wait til dead senpai

post abot it in here i wish i could read it for the 1st time again
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.