[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there literature that helps me cope with depression?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: 1453683722329.jpg (2MB, 2413x1935px) Image search: [Google]
1453683722329.jpg
2MB, 2413x1935px
Is there literature that helps me cope with depression?
>>
In the Buddha's Words

The Spiritual Guide of Miguel Molinos
>>
The Magic Mountain
>>
I just finished Siddhartha and although a lot of the ideas of spiritualism weren't anything that I believe in I found the prose and choice of language to be a greatly cleansing and uplifting. I felt transcendent of my depression for a while afterwards. It might help you for a while too.
>>
Yourself.
>>
Thomas Ligotti "The Conspiracy against the Human Race"
>>
File: majorComponents.png (468KB, 1606x775px) Image search: [Google]
majorComponents.png
468KB, 1606x775px
>>7750335
Have you considered taking up a daily Buddhist practice? Reading the suttas (Dhammapa, or an anthology for a beginner like yourself), or a secondary text by someone like Bhante G, Thich Nhat Hanh, or HHt Dalai Lama would give you a taste of the aims, goals, and tangible benefits to Buddhist systems of thought. Coupled with a simple meditation practice (vipassana), you will probably begin to see an improvement in your thought patterns quite soon.

If you're set on relying on just literature though, then I'd still recommend the names above. Like the other anon mentioned Hesse's Siddhartha, they are uplifting texts.
>>
Nothing helps with depression.

It's something you have to live with, until you die either by suicide, or by some disease caused by self abuse, e.g. liver cancer from alcoholism.

Depressed people live short, miserable lives. So at least you won't suffer too long.
>>
>>7750781
Depends on the causes and type of depression. Most cases its remains forever in some way, but say it's caused by low test, something like TRT could help dramatically.
>>
Doesn't work.

Wallace already tried that shit and look how he ended up.
>>
File: 1-A-YmKZ1EdpzoNBVFDFAVVQ.jpg (359KB, 1279x847px) Image search: [Google]
1-A-YmKZ1EdpzoNBVFDFAVVQ.jpg
359KB, 1279x847px
>>7750335
books ain't gonna help. Travel to Ukraine and join the battle against putin and ZOG
>>
Just do what none of have the balls to do.
>>
>>7750801
Wallace tried too hard
>>
>>7750793
Steroids might help, but it's probably the most dangerous way of treating depression.
>>
>>7750335
Nietzsche
>>
>>7750846
If you do it on your own then yeah, but I mean if you've legitimately got low testosterone - having it prescribed by a medical professional would be safe.

Only downsides if you do it right are slightly smaller balls and less fertility. Of course if low test isn't the only issue, it won't get rid of depression (but still helps)
>>
>>7750811
He should have gone out like Elliot Roger.

Sales would have infinitupled.
>>
Old man and the sea
>>
>>7750853

This, and Antifragile. And the Völuspa
>>
>>7750880
TRT is expensive.
>>
>>7750757
not OP but tell me more
I have this really short book on Zen and I'm hooked, now I want to know which is the best introductory text for buddhism
>>
>>7750805
THIS
>>
>>7751790
Meditation is the way in. Burroughs said Buddhists figured out how to manufacture their own junk. If you do it long enough, it really feels like you've popped a few oxy. Reading will only get you so far. Just sit down and stop thinking.
>>
The Ego and Its Own
>>
What do I have to read before I read Mason and Dixie?
>>
>>7751790
Well there are different types of introductory texts. Like that other anon said, meditation is a huge part of Buddhism (although it's not an attempt to recreate the effects of opiates). So if you want a hands-on manual for meditation then Mindfulness In Plain English by Bhante G is your best bet. He's a monk from the Theravada tradition but the basic meditation practice carries over into all forms of Buddhism.

If you want an introduction to the teachings central to all Buddhists then my recommendation is Wapola Rahula's What The Buddha Taught. It goes over the core of the system of thought with many references to the suttas (which are the early texts written by Buddhists based on the oral tradition passed down from the Buddha's time of teaching).

Another alternative is going the academic route which will give you a more historical look at Buddhism from perhaps a more outsider perspective. Peter Harvey's Introduction to Buddhism and Rupert Gethin's The Foundations of Buddhism are both fine choices.

You could also dive straight into the suttas, which are the core/primary texts. As I said before, the Dhammapada is good because it's a collection of short sayings, divided by theme. Rupert Gethin has also translated a selection from the suttas for Oxford classics. Bikkhu Bodhi also has a good anthology called In The Buddha's Words. I'd recommend at least some sort of preliminary reading before tackling these, but the books I mentioned are designed to stand up well for beginners without a large amount of background reading.

I mentioned all those books in a kind order that would be satisfactory for someone who want to learn from the ground up. But I should also mention HH the Dalai Lama's books written for a western audience can be a gentle introduction too. They may inspire you to want to learn more. I'll also mention that most of these books are either from the Theravada tradition of contain teachings common to all Buddhists. Mahayana (of which Zen is part) and Varjarana (of which Tibetan Buddhism is part) both have many many additional teachings on top. They really took the early Buddhist work and ran with it. If you're interested in these then the books I talked about above will still be a solid foundation of knowledge on which to build.
>>
>>7750804
That's a spook.
>>
File: Annie Hall.jpg (26KB, 380x266px) Image search: [Google]
Annie Hall.jpg
26KB, 380x266px
ok so I've been having some shit lately, and I just read The Bell Jar, and it sounds cheesy af but I kinda feel like my own bell jar is lifted now. We all know what happened to sylvia plath, so I guess there's that, but still- I've never read anything that so closely mirrored what I've been thinking until her
>>
>>7753409
to be clear, what's great about it is just seeing that people can think things fucky, and recognizing it. and you don't feel as afraid of your brokeness anymore.
>>
>>7750393
THIS
Cured my 6-year long depression when I read it about a year ago.
>>
>>7750804
I'd say it's a foolish idea, but my ukrainian friend did it, and it actually helped him with depression. At least that's what he says.
>>
>>7751611
Not in Canada :^)
>>
>>7750335
The Savage Detectives?
>>
>>7751611
Not in the UK B)
>>
File: tommycool.png (55KB, 492x365px) Image search: [Google]
tommycool.png
55KB, 492x365px
>>7750804
OP do this. You will not only attain a sense of comradery but also purpose in life.
>>
Any books that help with anxiety?
>>
>>7753452
>>7753467
for FtM trannys.
>>
>>7754694
or people with low test
>>
>>7753501
>people always spelling camaraderie wrong

the revolution has no place for you
>>
File: On the Road.jpg (136KB, 663x1024px) Image search: [Google]
On the Road.jpg
136KB, 663x1024px
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.