/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become a "public intellectual"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: chomsky.jpg (199KB, 1159x629px) Image search: [Google]
chomsky.jpg
199KB, 1159x629px
How do I become a "public intellectual"?
>>
>>7740722
Write a lot and work at a prestigious school.
>>
1. Be an intellectual.

2. Do things in public.
>>
File: If you know what I mean.jpg (24KB, 536x400px) Image search: [Google]
If you know what I mean.jpg
24KB, 536x400px
>>7740722
i'd rather be a pubic intellectual, IF you know what i mean.
>>
talk to people in public
>>
>>7740722
is that old lefty fuck an intellectual to you?
>>
>>7740756
he's at least an intellectual to the public. and we all know how smart humans are en masse.
>>
>>7740738
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>7740727
Pretty much this. Academia is really the best way to be known intellectually.
>>
>>7740722
Pander to the type of person that would use reddit.
>>
Write pop-sci / pop-philosophy / pop-politics meme books that are painstakingly constructed to appeal to the widest possible demographic and yet still allow the readership to maintain a sense of smug superiority by feeling like they're in the "in-crowd" for having read them

See: Dawkins, Chomsky, Foucault
>>
>>7740803
this. be a fedora
>>
File: Foucault in leather.jpg (83KB, 338x450px) Image search: [Google]
Foucault in leather.jpg
83KB, 338x450px
>>7740803
>Foucault
>pop-politics
OK you got me.
>>
>>7740810
>implying Foucault isn't one of the most-quoted (and perhaps most-misunderstood) writers co-opted by feminists and tumblrites
>>
>>7740827
>implying that discredits him
>>
>>7740830
>implying Foucault did more good than he did damage
>implying any of the feminists and tumblrites who misuse him even read or understand his essay on "speaking truth to power"
>implying he wasn't an AIDS-ridden faggot and a degenerate
>>
>>7740838
>implying he wasn't an AIDS-ridden faggot and a degenerate

muh ad hominems
>>
>>7740845
People don't exist in a vacuum. Foucault was a promiscuous faggot who, with his writings and his personal actions, contributed to the unraveling of the very same liberal society that allowed him to exist and on top of that he even attempted to infect as many homosexuals with his terminal disease as possible. He was a shit human being by any metric

And this isn't an attempt to cash in on the Chomsky vs. Foucault grudgematch. Chomsky was and is a fucking moron as well, and also a senile old man who turns around and sucks the teat of the very systems he criticizes. I dare you to try and sit through his Gondry interview documentary without wanting to shoot yourself in the head
>>
> Start a podcast.
> Talk about "philosophy"
> Get Joe Rogan on your show, or go on his, to make you look smart.
> Email an already established intellectual, use his first name to assert dominance.
> Keep referring to your email exchange as a conversation (this will make you equal to the one you talked to)
> Keep getting annoyed by people bringing up the conversation, but subtly encourage it.
> Congratulation, you are a public intellectual.
>>
saw an article in The Guardian that called Spike Lee a public intellectual and genius so I think the secret is just to be black
>>
>>7740722
Good book OP.
>>
>>7740867
None of that discredits his writing, but reading it to try to do that would be hard.
I can see that you're pretty commited to this stance, though.
>>
>>7741285
>reading it to try to do that would be hard.

Have you even read Foucault? Be honest, we're anonymous here.
>>
>>7740722
wear a sweater over an ocbd
>>
Is it possible to be an intellectual if I went to a shitty university?

I-I had a difficult home life and skipped class everyday back in high school.
>>
>>7740867
>complains about tumblr
>uses the phrase 'don't exist in a vacuum'
>>
File: buko.jpg (156KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
buko.jpg
156KB, 1280x720px
>>7741396
No but you can always be the cynical drunk guy who ''cuts trough the bullshit''
people will still think you're smart and you get to be rude to people, it's better than being an intellectual desu
>>
>>7741523
hitchens was both
>>
>>7740722
You're probably not going to make the leap from 4chan nerd to public intellectual, but one thing you can do that's really close is learn editing and try to have a charismatic persona to put on when you create one of those "explain art to plebs" youtube channels. You don't have to be too insightful or anything, just have those two things and be accessible and epople will call you a genius.
>>
>>7741526
hitchens was that but also erudite and had a British accent

dude literally couldn't fail
>>
>>7740838
>implying that because someone is misunderstood by stupid people they are "pop-x"
>>
>>7740738
haha! :D I get it
>>
>>7742544
except where he wasted 80% of his life refusing to self-correct his flawed marxism, then the latter 20% recanting and embracing some retarded neoconservativism which was just warmongering for the warcucks of warmerica. hurr durr islam is so bad, durr hurr were liberating iraq. Sure thing Hitch, you fucking nailed it on the head. It's totally not an oil grab and imperial expansionism. We totally didn't build based all over that region to cuck Iran, those are all happy little accidents.
>>
File: 1456433467486.jpg (462KB, 1124x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1456433467486.jpg
462KB, 1124x1920px
If you want to be a real intellectual, 1) enter a field and fundamentally change it by virtue of the thrumming intelligence pervading your ideas; 2) Write books about your ideas as they pertain to the world; 3) Participate in events as a guest speaker/appear on media platforms as a proponent of your ideas; 4) Don't follow the path of Chomsky et al. by proposing ideas only to subsequently spout off loonbag opinions about politics (i.e. stay in your fucking field)

If you just want recognition and for teenagers to think you're some sort of fierce intellectual, start a YouTube channel and complain about SJWs, become a "journalist"; or conversely, become a radical lefty academic therewith publishing nonsensical, dense papers to obscure journals wherein other rad-lefty academics jerk each other off. With a little PR and any luck you will become a martyr championing some retarded cause that, when pressed on, will ultimately be based off of some sort of ethereal injustice that can't actually be detected. See Cornel West; Marc Lamont Hill, Malcolm Gladwell et al.

If the latter is the route you're most inclined towards, never forget your lefty glasses and it is IMPERATIVE to ALWAYS remind people what year it is.
>>
>>7741088
this post is severely underrated.
>>
File: dub1454143656987.jpg (105KB, 400x384px) Image search: [Google]
dub1454143656987.jpg
105KB, 400x384px
>>7740738
>pubic intellectual
top kek m8
>>
>>7740722
weird hair
>>
File: chek'd.jpg (32KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
chek'd.jpg
32KB, 300x400px
>>7743400
>>
>>7740722
Cash in and Cash out.
>>
>>7742719
sciolism the post

Hitchens himself pointed out the hypocrisy of the neocons for invading too late, he said they should've invaded much sooner to relieve the Kurds from Hussein led genocide
>>
>>7740738

top keker my friendo!
>>
File: 1450649217565.jpg (613KB, 2666x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1450649217565.jpg
613KB, 2666x2000px
>>7740722
You can't. "Public" ie. famous and intellectual are opposed concepts. The word you are looking for is Pseudo-intellectual.

Why is this? The masses are absolute plebeians and the only way to become recognised is to spew pseud bullshit that they can understand and feel clever for parroting.
>>
>>7744731
Basically this. People don't care about substance, they care if it sounds smart. Unless you're popular to academics routinely thinking in a divergent manner, you'd mostly likely be a pseud unless you've put your theories and ideas into something crudely easy to feel good about repeating.
>>
>>7742719

reddit:thepost
>>
>>7740722
If I were you I'd worry about becoming an intellectual first, OP.

If you ever achieve that, which I doubt you will, you start worrying about being public.
>>
>>7740803
Dawkins is the only one of those who is accurately described by that.
>>
>>7740722
You tell what people want to hear
>>
>>7744943
>Chomsky
>not pop-politics
>>
>>7742973
>loonbag opinions about politics
>Too stupid to understand left-libertarianism.
You don't even have to agree with them to get their view points.
>>
>>7740722
>public intellectual
>pins fucking chomsky
>>
>>7745130
What exactly is wrong with or unsophisticated about what he spouts then?
>>
>>7745145
what about it is sophisticated?
he's Russell Brand in a tweed blazer
>>
>>7740838
Why can't I find "speak truth to power" on the web?
>>
>>7745140
There's only one right way of using the words "stupid" and "left libertarianism" in the same sentence and you even failed with that.
>>
http://4umi.com/nietzsche/zarathustra/30
>>
>>7740738
How do i become funny like this guy?
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.