[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I need to read all the dialogues, or can I just read the republic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: republic.jpg (796KB, 874x1416px) Image search: [Google]
republic.jpg
796KB, 874x1416px
Do I need to read all the dialogues, or can I just read the republic?
>>
>>7732371
start with the Greeks
>>
>>7732384
That does not answer my question...
>>
>>7732371
Dude, you can do whatever you want. What do you want out of Plato? To say "I've read him", or what?
>>
The Republic isn't even the most interesting dialogue. Even neglecting the "all philosophy is footnotes to Plato" thing, none of it is dry. Nearly all of them are incredibly entertaining as well as being insightful, and not just in the context of ancient Greece.
>>
i liked the one with the priest in which he questioned his faith and the humanity of the gods. pretty relevant even to this day, short too so id suggest u read that one as well. dont remember tha name and not gonna look it up cause lazey as shiet
>>
Why would you skip the dialogues? Personally, I prefer the dialogues over The Republic.
>>
>>7732433
I haven't read The Republix but will attest to the dialogues being great - Phaedrus is fantastic.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-02-08-32-30.png (369KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-02-08-32-30.png
369KB, 1080x1920px
>>7732371
Read all the dialogues dealing with the death of Socrates, Euthyphro, and Theaetetus. Then you can read the republic
Emphasis on Theaetetus it was Witty's favorite work
>>
Read Menexenus first, it's a good introduction to Plato's thought and stands on its own as philosophically important.
>>
Reading 4 plate-o dialogues is actually fun though.
>>
I would highly recommend reading the dialogues concerning the trial and death of Socrates. It's a fantastic read.
>>
I want to read Plato but i dont know where to start. Help me please.
>>
>>7732433

This. Plato is hilarious and a joy to read. I majored phil in college and the course I took on Plato was probably my favorite for the major. He is super accessible and entertaining (unlike most philosophy).
>>
>>7732384
>>7732371
You have to learn Greek before you can read philosophy, OP.
>>
>>7732501

A good recommendation.
>>
Should I read Homer before starting with Plato?
>>
>>7732865

read >>7732501
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.