[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

logical thinking vs emotional thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: charliebrown.png (462KB, 704x476px) Image search: [Google]
charliebrown.png
462KB, 704x476px
is there a clear separation between these two types of thought?

i often see people and philosophers say that logic is "good", while emotion is "bad" and simply gets in the way.

I never quite understood this. It often seems like enjoyment stems from emotion. Our subjective feelings, IMO, often feel more "real" and "true" than logic when we experience them in the heat of the moment. It seems like some of the best moments we experience are when we just let go, stop thinking and feel (like during sex, or watching an entrancing performance, or euphoria from drugs/drinking, or being in love with someone).

Thoughts? Basically I struggle between the idea that being logical is good, but it's not as satisfying as listening to your emotional side. How much should emotion factor into our decision making?
>>
I have nothing to add to this discussion except my interest. Bumping.
>>
>>7727783
not literature

>>>/his/
>>
Humans are irrational creatures, thats the basic fact, even the desire to be logcial is based off an emotional impetus.

The real meat is understanding the perceptions behind those emotions, how valid they are. Understand your motives, the real core of why you do what you do, and you're on your way to better thinking.
>>
Philosophers like Spinoza, and later Nietzshe, and a couple others im forgetting, deny there is a real duality between logic and emotion. Some think logical thought it merely a balloon being tugged along my the equally logical but unheard subconscious.
I like to think emotions are the subjective phenomenal experience that accompanies the process of making connections and testing logical forms. Fear is more than just instinct; its the phenomena of experiencing or knowing something you dont understand. Happiness shows a good amount of coherence and validity in your thought, sadness reflect internal contradictions and the sense of falsity.
My analogy would be that conscious thought, including logical analysis, is merely a stream rising up from the massive amounts of water rushing underground.
>>
>>7728330
Of, Peirce is what I was forgetting.
Hes the biggest in this kind of thinking: his semiotic system explains how what comes first is the logical (but not discrete) relationship we form between things, and evebtually all phenomena can be accounted by the growth in complexity on these continuous logical relationships. "Signs" are what we interperate from the environment as meaningful information, and recall in us something similar to a logical proposition.
>>
Neither matter.
>>
File: 2012-01-04-Eat_Shit_And_Die_202.jpg (446KB, 650x1976px) Image search: [Google]
2012-01-04-Eat_Shit_And_Die_202.jpg
446KB, 650x1976px
>>7727783
You forget society. Every culture has its own way of dealing with the reality that is put in front of them. We grow up thanks to the teachings of people like our parents. In the end they teach you to desire certin things in life. I think people have a conflict with a part of themselves that awaits more from the life we learned to live. We think we learned somthing rational from the emotion we felt at some point, but we forget that the context the emotion is located in is in constant dynamism
>>
>>7727783
Reason has to rule the emotions, that is "good" as far as philosophy is concerned.

Reason cannot set goals or values and emotions are patently unjust and blind, so the effort is to build up working compromise.
>>
logos
pathos
ethos
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.