[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best e reader lit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_1.png (118KB, 408x443px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
118KB, 408x443px
Best e reader lit?
>>
>>7721615
The one you can unbrick.
>>
>>7721615
Get a cheap tablet.
>>
>>7721621
Battery doesn't last, and they cause eye strain because of the light.
>>
>>7721615
I have a paperwhite and the con of having to charge it is greatly outweighed by having it backlit, sideloading pirated books and carrying around a library. I'd never go back DESU senpai.
>>
Which ever one works well for you and what you want to do with it.

I have a Kindle fire and while it works well, I did have to have my tablet create a file system on my external SD card before I could write on it.

I couldn't even figure out how to download an Audible audiobook onto my external SD card without converting it into an MP3.
>>
>>7721615
Paperwhite

>>7721661
That's not a ereader and it's awful.
>>
I ordered a paperwhite after asking the same question a few weeks ago. It should get here in a few days.
>>
I have a Kobo Aura HD and it's great

>>7721621
there's always the idiot who never tried an ereader and posts this in every one of these threads

OP, no matter what, don't buy a tablet to read books
>>
>>7721629
>I'd never go back DESU senpai.
NICE TRY
>>
>>7721615
I'm satisfied with my Sony Reader Touch PRS 600 (2011)
But, maybe because of Windows XP, I lost hundreds of notes (carefully highlighted excerpts), that disappeared when I docked it to a PC.
I've upgraded my OS, but still no way to back up the notes.
>>
>>7721692
Yeah. It's the second worst christmas gift I had recieved.
>>
>>7721713
Where are for how much?
>>
I heard there will be substantially better ereaders coming out this year-- should I wait and around what month would they come out?
>>
>>7721615
I have one of the previous gen. Paperwhites and I really like it. I use it almost exclusively for novels, and for that purpose it's perfect.

I recently moved away from it for short story collections because I value being able to return to various stories periodically and flick through, which is obviously more difficult on a digital device (searching and browsing aren't as intuitive as a real book). Along the same lines, it won't handle academic works/PDFs in which you tend to read bits and pieces whilst flipping about the book (returning to previous sections, etc).

With those limitations in mind, make a judgement call on whether it's worth it for you. The availability of free ebooks and the Calibre library program has more than paid for the cost of the device for me. If you read mostly fiction, and loathe carrying/holding/storing large paperbacks then it'll probably satisfy you.
>>
>>7721796
No-one can really give you an answer to this. There was a couple of consecutive years where a new Kindle came out every autumn, I believe. Even with that in mind, if you get a device I imagine it'll be more than capable for your needs unless you demand the latest gadgets for arbitrary reasons.

That said, however, if you're really that on the fence, then it's perhaps just worth waiting for new technology to finally jump on the bandwagon.
>>
normally i hate this kind of shitty viral marketing ruining 4chan but as an amazon shareholder if it can trick a few plebs into blowing money on that junk i guess i'm ok with it

sent from my iPad Pro
>>
>>7721796
just get a fucking phablet phone, i'd rather just have all my books music email and telephone in one device in my pocket than carry around some tacky device from e-walmart
>>
>>7721827
I really want to have an e-reader, I just want to know if there are usually sales/new ones soon. I'm looking at the kobo glo hd but it is kind of pricey.
>>
>>7721713
I second this
>>
is it degenerate to read thee greeks from an e-reader?
>>
I love my Kobo Glo HD, but have heard amazing things about the 3G Ad-free Paperwhites.
>>
>>7721629
>sideloading pirated books and carrying around a library

youre clearly not from this vicinity.
>>
I can't read books from a screen.
There's something special about having a physical text, I feel I can really get immersed, but the screen adds a barrier I can't get over.
>>
>>7723250
I find it much more difficult to read philosophical works on e-readers than paperbacks, namely because I can flip back and forth much faster than I would on my nook. But that's just me. Also the greeks have poets and the like which is kind of lame to read on e-readers.
>>
>>7721621
I used to spout this until I got an e-reader, the new paperwhite. Never realized how dramatic the difference is. E-paper is not a meme, it almost feels like I'm reading from a physical page. No glare unless you hold it at absolutely retarded angles, no reflections, backlight control is good but unnecessary most of the time because it seems to absorb light instead of projecting light, much lighter than a tablet and easier to carry. I charged it for a couple hours and it already filled up at least halfway, which is like a week or more of battery life. Tap on a footnote mark and it brings up the footnote or back of the book reference, tap on a word and it brings up the definition, tap on a phrase or word and it brings up wikipedia, brings up translations of any foreign words as well.

I immediately uninstalled the e-reader app I was using on a tablet and Calibr'd everything over after an hour of use now my tablet's just a dedicated anime machine. Only gripe is PDF compatibility and having to pay a bit more to remove ads.
>>
>>7721629
How often do you have to charge it? How long does a charge last?
>>
>>7723749
Not that anon, but I have a Paperwhite too -

recharging takes about an hour while I transfer new books, I've never actually managed to get it to shut down. The battery lasts about 1 month if you read daily with lights set to low/very low.
>>
>>7723783
Thanks nig
>>
>>7723264
I've never tried an ereader, but I suspect I would have the same problem. Maybe I'm showing my age, but screens are for watching movies and TV and books are for reading for hours at a time.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.