[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Jewish American Literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: philip roth.jpg (6KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
philip roth.jpg
6KB, 290x174px
Hey lit,

Doing an independent study in college on Jewish-American Literature (undergraduate). I'm curious to know what you all think the best works of Jewish-American Lit are.

Here's what I and my professor have covered so far:

Deuteronomy 1-8, Ezra, and Nehemiah
Theodore Herzl - The Jewish State
Kafka - The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, The Judgement, (also two parables)
Abraham Cahan - The Rise of David Levinsky
Henry Roth - Call It Sleep

We're doing one work per week. Next week's work is: Isaac Bashevis Singer - The Magician of Lublin.
For the future we have tentatively planned to cover works of Wiesel, Bellow, Wallant, Philip Roth, and David Grossman.

Any recommendations to further my knowledge of Jewish-American Literature?
>>
>>7714902
>Jewish-American Literature
>Deuteronomy 1-8, Ezra, and Nehemiah
>Theodore Herzl
>Kafka

America got really large, huh?
>>
Elie Weisel
>>
Herzog was okay.
>>
>>7714962
As you could assume on your own; introductory texts were necessary for this survey.
>>
>>7714902
Paul Auster's early stuff is pretty good.
>>
>>7714902
I would recommend The Golem and The Jinni. Yes it's genre fiction but it's one of the greatest books I've read in my life.

I've never enjoyed being jewish for any reason other than 8 days of presents, but this book made me fascinated in, if not proud of, my heritage
>>
It is latin american, but Vargas Llosa's The Storyteller deals with diaspora and jewish identity in an interesting way, primarily through a contrast with an itinerant aboriginal peoples in the amazon, the Machiguengas, although i'm not sure if they actually exist.
>>
>>7714902
Drop the class desu
>>
>>7714902
The influential and seminal works of Jerome Siegel and Joseph Shuster.
>>
>>7714902
Give Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer a go. And when I say Everything is Illuminated, I mean Everything is Illuminated. Everything else he's ever done is pretty much crap.
>>
>>7714902
Without a doubt The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinksi.
>>
>>7714902
American Literature that is famous in the post-war era has essentially been Jewish.

>Norman Mailer
>Philip Roth
>Saul Bellow

Its like they have a monopoly on determining the American Greats.

In the first half America had Steinbeck, Faulkner, Hemingway, Twain, Lewis, Sinclair.. what a terrible decline of a civilization.
>>
Jewish-American writers are the worst hyped up shit, even for Amerifat standards: Ozyick, Malamud, Singer, Roth, Cohen. I would rather read black writers who actually have some distinct culture and grievances to air out. Bellow is the only decent writer of the bunch. It must be nice to have such an easy life, have easy access to the literary establishment, have it that somehow your dumb parochialism matters. Even easier than white goys.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.