[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is poetry translatable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Nostalghia3.jpg (52KB, 600x391px) Image search: [Google]
Nostalghia3.jpg
52KB, 600x391px
Is poetry translatable?
>>
Sometimes, depends on the poem
>>
>>7708428
Some. What Pound describes as melopoiea is very difficult to translate, and is often lost in translation.
>>
Are translations poetic?
>>
Once I saw the word "Homies" in metamorphoses I knew it wasn't.
>>
I'm perfectly fine with translating novels but I do think a non negligible part is lost when you translate poetry.
>>
>>7708569
I read that translation too. Don't know how I feel about it>>7708569
>>
>>7708428
It's definitely inferior but it's still better than reading poetry in a language that you haven't spoken your entire life.
>>
>>7708428
fuark i travelled around italy for like 2 years total and ive never been there wtf

also depends, i would be sorta okay with translation of season in hell, but translation of pan tadeusz makes no sense
>>
>>7708428
Can someone tell me - and I'll come off as being ignorant but I was never taught poetry nor raised with it - is it important to know the ins and outs of poetic technique? Or is that just for the writer, primarily, to know in order to present his thoughts as best he can?

I have read Rhyme's Reason and such, but in actually applying it and deriving what it is telling me is difficult. Is this normal?
>>
>>7708569
What? Where?
>>
>>7708621
It helps but is not necessary. If you you can see the techniques and understand why they are being used you will likely appreciate the poem more.
>>
Yes, things get lost and changed though. It's best to thing of it as generally a slightly different work than exactly the same piece but in another language.

>>7708621

I find it informs my reading and understanding, but it's not vital.
>>
>>7708428
If it were English language cucks would be studying Italian poetry in school, not theirs.
>>
you can translate it into other poetry
>>
>>7708569
Fagles translated Ovid, too?
>>
>>7708760
Probably the simplest way of putting it. A translation can still evoke some of the same essence of the original, but it can never be truly like the original. Same way with novels and so on.
>>
You can create a very accurate representation.

It would of course not be the original work, but still a piece of art in its own right.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.