[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

War and Peace Translations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: war-and-peace-pevear.jpg (28KB, 300x453px) Image search: [Google]
war-and-peace-pevear.jpg
28KB, 300x453px
I never read any classics in school as a child. I to be honest, I can't remember doing anything in English classes remotely useful- but I read a lot. Mainly fantasy.

At university I stopped reading for a while, but a year or so ago I began again, found Ursula Le Guin and Gene Wolfe; from there I realized I was dissatisfied by a lot of the writing in the fantasy genre. Now I have looked into the authors they were inspired by; I have now read around Borges, Woolf, Dickens, and am now interested in reading War and Peace.

Come on then /lit/. I want to read this for the first time, and would like to know which English translation you recommend.

I've seen the shit flung at the fantasy genre for its bad writing, sometimes unfairly, but often it is justified. This then, should be an ideal question for you all. The book's already there- it's just a matter of which translation has the best prose.

I still like fantasy. But realized that I also like writing for the sake of the language, and that, sadly, is lacking- especially in more modern fantasy offerings.
>>
Briggs

Or the revised Maude's
>>
Maude, no question
>>
Learn Russian language, all the translations are a joke and you are practically not-reading Tolstoy but the translator
>>
Definitely Maude's. Get the Everyman's Library 3-volume edition.
>>
>>7707777
This book is overrated shit i don't recommend it at all
>>
>>7707837
epic
>>
>>7707839
desu I agree with him and I have probably 20-22 shelf meters of Russian literature.
>>
>>7707828
This. The Maudes are excellent.

Also, read Wolfe again when you're better read, especially in the Bible and Greeks - he's excellent.
>>
>>7707845
It's not Tolstoy's magnum opus like some people make out, but there's no way it's shit. Overrated by some, but certainly not shit.

You must at least agree Tolstoy is one of the greatest of Russian literature though.
>>
>>7707837
the bait is real.
>>7707777
Any particular reason you chose the pevear cover?
>>
Read Rosemary Edmonds, it's the most actually readable one that's a fucking delight.
>>
>>7707777

Honestly it really doesn't matter much in this case because Tolstoy survives tralsation pretty well. He's not really known for his prose anyway. He's all about characters and the setting they inhabit and Tolstoy's great authorial vision which infuses them all, and all those things are shown very very well in all the translations I've read of his works.
>>
>>7707777
>>7707813
Tolstoy is not worth reading. Learning russian for the sake of reading Tolstoy is faggotry. Choose whichever translation is available, his ideas and writing won't get better no matter which translation you choose.
>>
>>7709622
Its not bait you just have shit taste if you like it
>>
File: this.jpg (29KB, 341x390px) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
29KB, 341x390px
>>7707837
This
Most people here are clueless bunch of newfags who mindlessly praise random shit just because it was recommended by some other teenage morons.
W & P is mediocre at best.
Fagstoy is mediocre at best.
Mr fuckin' great psychologist my ass.
>>
>>7709687
>>7709691
>>7709709
Did somebody say... Reddit thread?
>>
>>7707777
I read the one posted, and thought it to be completely sufficient.
>>
File: CYDr_CmWsAElS2Q.jpg (112KB, 600x848px) Image search: [Google]
CYDr_CmWsAElS2Q.jpg
112KB, 600x848px
>>7709714
No faggit. You can crawl back there now.
>>
>>7709781
Fuck yeah. I still got it.
>>
File: 1455652180891.png (74KB, 234x325px) Image search: [Google]
1455652180891.png
74KB, 234x325px
>>7709769
>>7709781
That would be Dostoyevsky. I'm literally LMAOing at your poor bait. GOD DAMMIT.
>>
>>7707837
Does it have any scholarly notes or anything? Oxford edition is cheaper and uses the Maudes translation while having scholarly apparatus.
>>
File: Tolstoy.jpg (39KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
Tolstoy.jpg
39KB, 450x300px
>>7709714
All happy redditors are alike; each unhappy redditor is unhappy in its own way.
>>
File: 1454392739632.jpg (64KB, 700x458px) Image search: [Google]
1454392739632.jpg
64KB, 700x458px
>>7709797
You Fagstoy fanboys are really asking for it, don't you

Il faut le battre le reddit, le broyer, le petrir.
>>
>>7711111
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.