[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Latin language superior to English?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

Is the Latin language superior to English?
>>
>>7687508
No.
>>
>>7687508
Yes
>>
File: the 'english' language.png (235KB, 2000x1994px) Image search: [Google]
the 'english' language.png
235KB, 2000x1994px
About 40% superior.
>>
>>7687715
you should be ashamed of yourself for posting that shitty pie with that shitty title
>>
The fact allone that latin has casus makes it more flexible and thus more useful for literature than english could ever hope to be.
>>
>>7689050
Can you explain this to me?
>>
>>7689068
English has a very rigid sentence structure. Since you cannot see the casus of a word just by looking at it, a word's meaning within a sentence has to be deduced by its relative position within the sentence.

The cat kills the mouse.

The subject (the cat) has to stand before the verb (kills) which has to stand before the object (the mouse), otherwise the sentence would be very hard to make sense of.

You can't just say "The mouse kills the cat." when the cat is supposed to be the one doing the killing.
This is however possible in other languages, like in german or, well, in latin: since you see directly if a word is in nominative, genitive, dative, accusative or ablative, you can rearrange the sentence a lot.

"Felis murem necat." or "Murem necat felis." both translate to "The cat kills the mouse.", without the casus the second one could be translated as "The mouse kills the cat." That would be "Mus felem necat." in latin.

So, yeah, casus change a lot about how you work with language.
>>
>>7687508
It is infinitely inferior.
>>
English took the best parts of Latin, Greek, etc and combined them with the best parts of the Germanic languages.
>>
>>7689267
But there is basically no declination and barely any conjugation in english.
>>
>>7689105
So fucking useful.
>>
>>7689105
>>7689267
I READ BOOK PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE

ENGLISH IS THE BEST
>>
>>7689293
It allows you to emphasize certain parts of a sentence without having to write a completely different sentence. It also allows you to ve way more precise.

If you actually tried to learn other languages you would understand the point of this.
>>
>>7689267
any language without conjugation is fucking shit for artistic expression
>>
>>7689267
Please explain what these good parts are.
>>
>>7689305
Yup. Totally.
>>
>>7689105
I was thinking that the opposite might sometimes be true: that with rigid inflection and conjugation a word can have only a single meaning, sentences only a single interpretation, but that with english the same word in different circumstances has different meanings, connotations, associations. This gives the reader a different experience of the language in that interpretation requires greater immersion and engagement.
>>
>>7689458
But the interpretation is already set in stone by the context of the sentence.

Sure, you could only look at singular words, but that seems like a poetic gimmick. Or am I missing your point? Please give me an example if I do.
>>
File: 51756632.jpg (114KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
51756632.jpg
114KB, 400x400px
tfw nobody itt has taken a basic linguistics class
>>
>>7689105
The mouse was killed by the cat.
>>
>>7689551
Lol, pwned.

Walk it back.
>>
>>7689551
but that's a passive construction anon, you had to alter the argument structure of the verb in order to do that. you can do the same thing in latin.

>>7689547
this
>>
>>7689551
Completely different sentence.

>>7689547
I have.
>>
>>7689547
I have and that's why I refused to post ITT up to this point

so you were right
>>
>>7689105
Lol, while this is true to an extent, Latin also has a rigid syntax structure that is only broken by poets and orators. English is much more stuck in this rigidness but can be turned upside down in literature and speeches.

Not trying to hate on what youre saying; english has ways to do what latin does too. Jah bless commas and other punctution marks!
>>
>>7689478
Yeah I realise that sounds a bit ambiguous, and I don't mean that in english there is a benefit from multiple possible interpretations of meaning. Rather that one has a more enjoyable experience of language wherein a single utterance has multiple meanings in different contexts and interpretation is a more involving process. In contrast to latin where sentential meaning is immediately apparent and there is no need for recourse to context. I've never thought about this before but I recently started latin so I find the case system very interesting.
>>
>>7689303
When I started learning German I thought the different forms of "the" and pronouns and such to indicate object/subject/direct/indirect were annoying but I've come to appreciate it. Can't wait until I'm good enough to start reading some German lit.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.