[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

henry miller

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: cancer.jpg (33KB, 316x500px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
33KB, 316x500px
favourite henry miller?
only read tropic of cancer, was very into it. are his other works just as good?
>>
I read Tropic of capricorn from him. I dont think i ever read something similiar to his style. Nihilistic rants, vulgar language mixed with long, flowery description of "pussy". I really liked it, maybe cause i was 15 or 16 then
>>
>>7660747
His sex scenes are amazing, so vulgar, crude and downright disgusting in a heavenly way. He doesn't have all that much to say but he says it with such authenticity that's applaudable. Raw stuff, unrefined, no class, and that's where the appeal lies. Makes you see how rare it is for a novel to have absolutely no airs about it.
>>
this book makes the life of a jobless whore fucking hobo seem appealing. he writes so honestly about his carefree Paris days you can't help, but feel the delight of living on just bare necessities
>>
>>7660747
Read Sexus
It's good. Extremely self indulgent but the language he uses in it is spectacular. There are those moments of insight from his characters that hit you right in the gut.
If you're a writer yourself you'll love it even more. It's got tons of good advice.
>>
>>7661650
Noted, thanks anon
>>
>>7660747
Miller crafted the most aesthetically beautiful sentences in the English language. Better than Faulkner or Nabkov. Favorite writer, he spun so much pure shit into pure gold
>>
Is there a certain reading order for Miller? Start from thr beginning, a very good place to start?
>>
>>7662417
jump in anywhere
>>
>>7660747
Met his 8th wife in a bar a while back. Nice lady.

I've only read Cancer too. Don't think she had read anything.
>>
I absolutely love Miller, but never feel like writing like him. It's as if he's not a writer, so it's not even worth emulating. He makes the most beautiful sentences I know of, but they're too personal, too uniquely Miller for anyone else to create.

Which is why so many of the Beats copying him are so shitty.

Also, anyone here read his Big Sur book? How is it?
>>
I enjoyed Black Spring. There's some surreal stuff but also stuff about working with his father in the family tailor shop back in Brooklyn when he was a kid.
>>
>>7660747
Most of the time I think it's The Colossus of Marousi, and others Tropic of Cancer. CoM is without a doubt his most spiritually-fulfilling and beautiful work, but is flawed in its overuse of "metaphorical hymns." You know, like in ToC when he's talking about Matisse? Only in that book he has a much, much better balance of it. In CoM it occasionally becomes tiresome and bloated---so much so you at times forget what the original object or character was at all.
>>
>>7663307
Oh yeah I remember that part. Made me look up his paintings and honestly they haven't made anything clearer lol. Whenever he would start these passages I tried to enjoy them for what they are, just kinda read those sentences like poetry. As few of you said here only Miller can write in such a way. Didn't even understand a lot of the words he used there, the dictionary didn't help too lol. In these moments I just enjoyed the way the sentences sound, I think it kind of is the intention anyway.
>>
>>7660747
Check out Orwell's Thought's on Tropic of Cancer.

I thought certain parts of it were exceptionally well written in all of its lightning bolts and crab infested glory.
>>
>>7660747
It's fucking shit.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.