[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I will never understand whats wrong with translations. For example

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 6656.jpg (42KB, 295x475px) Image search: [Google]
6656.jpg
42KB, 295x475px
I will never understand whats wrong with translations.
For example
Love which moves sun and stars
Lamor che muove il sole e latre stelle
Which moves you more? Of course this one in language closer to you....
There are big amount of books, and those books are famous and really old, and some peoples are spending their lives for work at this one work of art. Many years of research and etc, and they cant even translate a book? Come on
>>
I guess you're just retarded then.
>>
>Translations
>Ever being done right

Languages are so different from each others that executing completely correct translations are factually impossible.
You simply cannot transcript a text in another language without sacrificing significant portions of the word play that was done by the author of the work.
>>
>>7657081
so what do
>>
>>7657089
Accept that translations can radically change the messages of a text
>>
>>7657103
how changing a words, and rhythm may "radically change message of tex"?
>>
>>7657112
Because words represent symbols in the minds of those who read, understand or made them in the first place. Languages are cultural things, that's why some 2 letter sanscrit crap is 2 lines of english.
>>
File: CL_SuIEWIAA7rUe.jpg (20KB, 599x339px) Image search: [Google]
CL_SuIEWIAA7rUe.jpg
20KB, 599x339px
>>7657103

>read Crime and Punishment
>think it's kind of boring, but realize I have a lousy translation
>read other translation
>in this one, Raskolnikov doesn't just kill an old pawnbroker, but commits steals a car doing drive-bys on civilians and then works his way up an infamous crime syndicate
>>
>>7657112
realize that two people reading the /exact/ same text can come away with completely different interpretations, and then compound the problem with bad translations.
>>
>>7657052
Why people can't understand that translations are impossible?

There aren't logic languages, traductions are interpretations.

British can't understand American speaking the same language and you want that a modern guy understand (and make you understand) another guy that died 1000 years ago?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.