[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well that was a fucking stupid waste of my time.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3

File: images.jpg (38KB, 447x686px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
38KB, 447x686px
Well that was a fucking stupid waste of my time.
>>
>>7654090
just burn it and post a pic, that's what i did.
>>
>>7654097
Im not burning my phone
>>
>>7654090
What's wrong with a short and entertaining book?
>>
>>7654102
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-9L7Uv1Ei8
>>
>>7654106
>entertaining
>>
read this while in afganistan, during a fight I threw that exact copy towards taliban trying to be sneaky on us...long story short, some got away and I'm sure one of them grabbed it. I'm sure they think its garbage too
>>
I loved that book. Taught me a lot about censorship. Haven't read it in a few years though I've moved on to better stuff/series.
>>
OP was forced to read Fahrenheit for his high school class. OP enjoys hating things because it makes him feel edgy and feeling edgy helps him mentally differentiate himself from the other conformist kids at his high school, thus inflating his sense of self-worth.
>>
>>7654108
Excellent

I wish he were still alive just to sent him ashes

Then again i wouldnt spend money on it
>>
>>7654119
>this buttmad

I'm 25 and i didnt like it because its dumb.

In high school we actually read shit that made you think, not wonder what kind of paranoia and hatred of film, technology, etc the author has
>>
>tech-obsessed, shallow young person reads a book criticising tech-obsessed, shallow people
>hates it

No surprises there.
>>
>>7654138
>book-obsessed old-timer is afraid od progress and thinks everyones out to get hom and his books

See, insults are easy
>>
The Firemen did literally nothing wrong.

Guy was a traitor to them and his country
>>
Bradbury is a faggot.
>DUDE WATCHING TELEVISION WILL LITERALLY LEAD TO MASS VIOLENCE AND WAR
>DUDE READING WILL MAKE YOU A MORE MORAL PERSON
>DUDE NOTHING EVER BAD HAPPENED WHEN READING WAS POPULAR? WHAT THE FUCK IS A HOLOCAUST?
>DUDE EVERYONE DIED IN A NUCLEAR WAR BUT IT'S OK CAUSE THEY WERE DUMB AND WE CAN READ PLATO NOW
>>
>>7654096
wait how can you tell fatherdubs was here?!?!
>>
>>7654090
my exact thoughts at 1/3, 2/3, 3/3, why the fuck did I, or anybody , ever finish this shit.
>>
>>7654167
>>DUDE NOTHING EVER BAD HAPPENED WHEN READING WAS POPULAR? WHAT THE FUCK IS A HOLOCAUST?

But TV and movies were already popular
>>
>>7654114
If you didn't set them on fire, you're doing it wrong.
>>
I'm currently reading it, got to the page 100. Up to now I have mixed feelings about this. Only started because it was on /lit/'s recommendation list. The story seems just so... unbelievable? I don't know if the whole world has become like that or just America. Their plan to put an end on the system seems... delusional. What did you think?
>>
>>7654090
Isn't that the book based on "the book of Eli?"
>>
>>7654271
yea it's not your imagination the story is really contrived and forced
>>
>>7654167
>holocaust
Oh boy
>>
>>7654167
Ehhh you're making broad generalizations that Bradbury didn't necessarily imply. Faber was still a coward, Beatty still an authoritarian nightmare. He didn't pretend that reading was a cure-all but that by reading you're more likely to see true humanity versus the commercial nature of television.
>>
>>7654283
So why is it on the recommendation's list? Are the other titles just as 'good'?
>>
>>7654114
Me and my sergeant just finished up reading Infinite Jest together.
Intel leads the way. :^)
>>
>>7654297
yeah half are just as shit, look at the exit/core/ list for decent recs, or any place other than 4chan
>>
>>7654108
>theaveragelitposter.wmv
>>
>>7654090
>Cultural Marxist reads book destroying his ideal Utopia
>hates it
Let me guess not a fan of Orwell either ;^). Better read some more of Game of Thrones anon.
>>
>>7654117
>Taught me a lot about censorship

It was about TV
>>
>>7654446
oh boy
>>
>>7654259
>>7654290
But the average Joe Schmo wasn't fundamentally changed by the existence of television, and a number of high-ranking Nazis were well-read intellectuals. Fucking Heidegger was a Nazi, how much TV do you think he watched?
>>
>>7654446
Hahaha, way to read kid.
>>
>>7654130
>I'm 25 and i didnt like it because I'm dumb.

FTFY.

The book's a criticism of regressive political correctness, poking fun at book-burning fundies and the pussies who watch what they write for fear of offending them.
>>
>>7654503
None of that makes it less dumb
>>
waste of an hour boohoo
>>
>>7654090
I really liked it; it was entertaining.
>>
>>7654464
>Joe Shmo
I think you mean Joe Schlomo.
>>
I'm not going to say that it was a masterpiece or that it held an incredibly deep message, but it was an entertaining read and a good look at what a population can become once they stop questioning what their government tells them, obviously exaggerated to make it into a Bradbury type sci-fi novel.

Still the part that I always remember is when they're driving and they run over something, and Guy's wife finds it so exciting, as if it were a TV show, saying something like "Oh boy I wonder if it was a cat or dog"
>>
>>7654553
5 hours.
>>
>>7654143
>book obsessed
>insult
Do you know which board of this Croatian fantasy volleyball forum you're on?
>>
>>7654294
This assumption that visual mediums dont have merit or 'humanity' is narrow minded
>>
>>7654503
Except thats mostly wrong. You're an idiot, and this forced plot with fucked morals is overly simple, its points not good ones, ans pushes said points poorly
>>
>>7654612
>what happens when people stop questioning the goverment or what they are told to do
You should visit Japan and North Korea.

If you found it interesting, more power to you. I just think the issues of government control, censorshp, etc can and have been done far better.
>>
>>7654763
That may be true, but just because Fahrenheit 451 isn't as great at covering that topic as other books may be doesn't mean it isn't still a good book worthy of being remembered.

I look at it like this: for a pretty pulpy, short sci-fi written by someone like Bradbury, written in the time it was written, it still manages to get it's point across in a pretty clear, entertaining way. And for that I think it's spot in literary history is deserved.
>>
File: 1449149005555.jpg (220KB, 900x1122px) Image search: [Google]
1449149005555.jpg
220KB, 900x1122px
>>7654401
>mfw infantard
Nobody reads books in this hell
>>
Read it in highschool and enjoyed it. There is imagery that I still think about every now and then. ex: the salamander or Dr. Snake.
>>
>>7654108
>that Anarchy lighter
>>
Bradbury is a fucking moron. Not only did the book's theme turn completely differently than what he had intended (which actually worked out for the better), he criticized minorities for not being able to take criticism, but when he gets criticism gets fucking butthurt like crazy.
>>
>>7654630
did you take fucking notes or do you have ADD and have to read a page 5 fucking times
>>
>>7654130
what did you read in HS?
>>
G A M 3 R G A T E
>>
>>7654817
>peacetime infantry
Sorry m80.
I'm so, so sorry.
>>
File: 1448044727918.jpg (12KB, 170x206px) Image search: [Google]
1448044727918.jpg
12KB, 170x206px
>>7654108
>All the butthurt twelve year olds in the comments section.
>>
>>7654108
I love how this guy is somehow failing to light paper coated in lighter fluid, on fire.
>>
Nah, I thought it was pretty good.

I think a lot of people miss the point about it, and that Bradbury got a little lost with it, but it's still a decent read.
>>7654446
>It was about TV
This is what I mean when I say some people missed the point entirely.
>>
I liked the sci-fi bits (the fire department's dog thing, the descriptions of the flamethrowers, the blood transfusion his wife goes through), and even some of the "dude the future will be shit lmao" stuff was good (billboards being extended cause people started driving too fast to see them normally), but the rest was absolute trash. That shit about the manic pixie dream girl and tasting the rain made me vomit in my mouth a little
>>
>>7654108
Why does everyone think we care if you destroy your property? We don't care. It's not a message but just destroying your own stuff. Who gives a shite?
>>
>>7654725
Bradbury was railing against a passive, dull, and lifeless existence.

You almost need to read the rest of his books to get this or else 451 just comes off as a snobby "FUCK TV" manifesto.

Literally fucking everything amazed Bradbury. The guy was so in love with life and he wanted to share that with people. That's why he writes sci-fi and fantasy. That's what 451 was truly about.
>>
>>7654108
That boy looks cute tho
>>
>MC screaming at his wife to listen to him while she watches the wall tvs

Why did that fill me with such anxiety, fuck
>>
>>7654130

>not wonder what kind of paranoia and hatred of film, technology, etc the author has

How the fuck is Fahrenheit 451 too deep for you?
>>
>>7654271
It's sci-fi. it doesn't necessarily need to be an accurate portrayal of what America is to become. Some aspects of 451's universe are exaggerated to get Bradbury's ideas across. That being said, I do agree that the plotline and character development did seem slightly forced. Still a good read IMO.
>>
>>7658379
I know that feel. For some reason, the walls made me anxious.
>>
>>7654446
It was about SJWs. There is an afterward by Bradbury himself about how he was pissed some magazine or something wanted him to write about Negroes on Mars or something when Bradbury didn't feel he could write a good coloured character
>>
>>7654743
Bradbury himself confirms what anon said
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.