[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ Would you ever get a tattoo of your favorite quote from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

/lit/

Would you ever get a tattoo of your favorite quote from a book you really enjoyed? If so, what is it? More importantly, why?

>inb4 tattoos are degenerate
>>
They are degenerate. In all cases, even if it's from a philosophical book
>>
"Let it enfold you"

http://m.poemhunter.com/poem/let-it-enfold-you/
>>
>>7653311
for me, tattoos are degenerate. They're part of the jewish plan to breed out whiteness, hence degenerate.

we can never have a proper society with tattoos
>>
I would never get a tattoo.
>>
>>7653314
>>7653321
>>7653322

Fair enough. Let me rephrase it. If you had to pick one quote that would be stuck with you for the rest of your life, what would it be?
>>
literary tattoos serve no purpose other than trying to impress others
>>
>>7653341
"take the redpill"
>>
I got a small tattoo that says "Noon slumbers". Taken from Ulysses
>>
>>7653359
why
>>
>>7653375
because then when girls ask me what it means, i say "it's from ulysses, pleb" and roll my eyes at them
>>
File: BookieTattoo[1].jpg (58KB, 500x519px) Image search: [Google]
BookieTattoo[1].jpg
58KB, 500x519px
Ive got pic related, all my favorite books that really influenced who I am today
>>
>>7653380
>filename
Cmon m8
>>
>>7653380
i know its bait but ohman
>>
>>7653380
That's ugly as fuck. Probably bait.
>>
I would not get a tattoo of anything
but I always remember that line from Beckett's Molloy "A dim light was all I had been given, and patience without end to shine it on the empty shadows". It wouldn't make such a bad tattoo for a person inclined to them
>>
>>7653311
no tats for me. they seem like a stupid waste of perfectly good flesh
>>
>>7653314

I'd bang a slut with AMOR FATI tattoed on her buttcheeks right next to her asshole.
>>
>>7653321
but Jews can't get tattoos
>>
>>7653380
The brave new world one looks like a fat pencil
>>
>“I want to change the world, and do something valuable and beautiful. I want people to remember me before I'm dead, and then more afterwards.”

Russell Brand, My Bookie Wook I

It speaks to me on a spiritual level.
>>
>>7653311
Probably something like
"Eat, Pray, Love"
>>
File: 1429928760117.png (53KB, 680x542px) Image search: [Google]
1429928760117.png
53KB, 680x542px
>>7653311
Why would I carve dead symbols into my superficial shell when I can incorporate their meaning directly into my mode d'être?

Why would I get hung up on the finger pointing to the moon?

Tattoos are the refuge of shallow materialists who paradoxically believe that by enriching their outer appearance we can infer some deeper inner being when in reality it just shows how entrenched they are in the superficial.
>>
>>7653498
I'd say being so concerned about "defacing flesh" is just as indicative of being preoccupied with superficial things. If you get a tattoo because you like the way it looks and that's the end of that, there's no delusion going on.
>>
>>7653515
Tattoo make me very powerful. White man cannot understand. My animal-totem give me power over you. HAHAHA.
>>
>>7653498
I meant to reply to you. Animal-totem tell me to stay up late, i tired, but i always listen to totem.
>>
>>7653380
How are people so new that they're buying this?
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 420x524px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 420x524px
>>7653380
>someone, somewhere in the world actually has this tattoo
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 443x332px
>>7653311
Morning boys ;)
>>
File: le horn.jpg (1MB, 1721x1487px) Image search: [Google]
le horn.jpg
1MB, 1721x1487px
I bet every one of them thought "here's a clever tattoo that no one else will have".
>>
>>7653419
oh really?
>>
>>7654364
Every reply before you is calling it bait.
>>
>>7655022
what book is this from?
>>
>>7655036
Hitler - Mein Kampf
>>
>>7654998
That's not that bad to be honest. Tattoos are not necessarily original
>>
>>7654998
Why? Surely it just indicates they're all members of Trystero. It's not intended to be unique.
>>
File: 2015-11-15 16.13.00.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-15 16.13.00.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7654382
>dfw i see this quote
>>
>>7654998
So it goes.
>>
Getting a tattoo of a quote seems like a good idea if you've only read twenty books in your life, and less than half were good. If you're actually reading consistently, you'll never have a favorite quote for more than a few months,

Also, the best passages are specific to the works they come from. Ambiguous philosophical waxing is bad writing.
>>
tattoos haven't been cool since the '70s, nowadays they just make you look like a tryhard faggot
>>
>>7654998
>those AIDS-sufferer's arms

fucking betas, man, when will they learn?
>>
>>7655961
>Also, the best passages are specific to the works they come from.
I don't think that's relevant. Good use of quotation is using it to refer not only to the words themselves but also their contexts, both the immediate and wider. If you use a quote or a reference, you shouldn't just be implying the concrete meaning of the words themselves but how they fit into both the work they're from and how that work is perceived.
>>
/lit/ will cringe and rightfully accuse me of being the pleb that I am but I have considered getting a "Don't Panic" tattoo, partly just because it's good advice.
>>
>>7656140
I considered getting "WWDD?" and "WWGDD?"* on my hands so I'd see them whenever I reached for the bottle but quickly realised that neither of them would get tattoos on their hands.

*"What Would Dad Do?" and "What Would GrandDad Do?", both highly accomplished men.
>>
yeah man, I've unironically got me a deathly hallows tattoo
>>
I would only get a tattoo of an I Ching hexagram, not sure where though
>>
>>7656025
>big arms
come on man, that looks pathetic
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.