[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTTDTOT: Questions that don't their own thread Post your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

File: qttdtot.png (8KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
qttdtot.png
8KB, 284x177px
QTTDTOT: Questions that don't their own thread

Post your questions here /lit.

I'll start:

Best English translation for: Book of Disquiet-Fernando Pessoa?
>>
File: 1451522572192.png (192KB, 376x390px) Image search: [Google]
1451522572192.png
192KB, 376x390px
Would also like to know the answer to OP's question, so here is a comment.
>>
I cannot answer op's question but I have my own. I'm writing a fantasy book and I want it to be realistic, or realistic enough, but I have no idea how kingdoms (or empires) are formed. Anyone know a book that goes in-depth on how kingdoms are formed and rise to power? All the mediums I've looked through give me shit from the Three Kingdoms to random religious works.
>>
>>7645200
Richard Zenith's translation and arrangement are bretty good. I'm not sure if they are the standard, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are.
>>
there's a phrase which basically means "all smart people of a nation leaving to find a new nation"

does anyone know the name of this phrase?
>>
>>7645656
Well in colloquial terms that would be called "brain drain."
>>
>>7645656
>>7645666
Human capital flight.
>>
Has anyone here read American Pastoral by Philip Roth? What were your opinions on it? I'm 50 pages in and the writing is probably the oddest of any book I've ever read.
>>
anybody have any good books about war??
>>
What's the best translation of Aurelius' meditations?
>>
I really need to learn meter. What is the best book or method?
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 475x713px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 475x713px
There's a book where two agnostics friends go to a Christian amusement park, and end up being so disgusted by the overwhelming kindness and holiness, that they fuck in one of the in-park phone booths and leave the park as satanists.

What book is this?
>>
At the end of Ronald Wilks' translation of Dostoyevsky's "The Double", a sentence is said as if from a man with a thick German (?) accent; You vil haf kvarters, mit vood, licht und serfants of vich you do not diserf.

Am I right to assume it says "you will have quarters, with wood, light and servants of which you do not deserve?

For the books penultimate sentence, it doesn't really do much for me either. All guesses welcome.
>>
>>7647595
A Rumor of War
>>
>>7647659
thank u
>>
>>7647685
Or All Quiet On The Western Front
>>
File: smlxl.jpg (33KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
smlxl.jpg
33KB, 600x375px
Do I need any background in design/architecture to appreciate S,M,L,XL ??

I had this really vivid dream last night that I was reading it and really enjoying it.
>>
>>7647645
Im pretty sure vood is food. Pretty much right aside from that it looks like.
>>
>>7647716
Thanks man, that makes a lot of sense actually.
>>
File: MR4t9y5.jpg (73KB, 738x745px) Image search: [Google]
MR4t9y5.jpg
73KB, 738x745px
Anyone have that picture of that guy's really comfy red reading chair? It was in the corner of a little attic space.
>>
>>7647605
Ode Less Traveled
>>
>>7647933
There's nothing better than Stephen Fry? Depressing.
>>
>>7647940
If all you need to do is learn the techniques who really gives a fuck about the author. They're only relaying concepts far older than them. Stepthen Fry's book just happens to be one of the more accessible ones.
>>
>>7647625
something not worth reading
>>
File: 1449232572964.png (91KB, 250x317px) Image search: [Google]
1449232572964.png
91KB, 250x317px
the wikia's recommended uploads on anonfiles all no longer exist. can anyone reupload them to mediafire or something? does anonfiles have a time limit like zippyshare does or something? thankfully the Japanese recommendations were put on mediafire so i got ~300mb of glorious jap lit
>>
File: 3e5.png (47KB, 139x136px) Image search: [Google]
3e5.png
47KB, 139x136px
>>7648311
never mind, the archive abides.

thanks to those incredible anons ;_;
>>
Is the Everyman's Library version of Meditations good?

>>7647595
Storm of Steel.
All Quiet on the Western Front.
>>
What other archive for /lit/ do you know of, besides warosu.org? This is one is constantly down.
>>
>>7648494
Yes.
>>7647940
It's a good book.
>>7647595
The Iliad
The Raid
War and Peace
The Bhagavad Gita

>>7645268
Try 'Feudal Society' by Marc Bloch; or maybe a history book that covers politics etc say 'A Brief History of Ancient Greece: Politics, Society, and Culture' by Pomeroy et al, or 'The Anglo-Saxon World' by Higham.

>>7645200
Failed on my 3rd set 4th rep of OHP at 40kg; should I attempt the same next time, or deload? Doing it 5x5, switch to 3x5?
>>
>>7648602
What's the best Meditations translation?
>>
>>7648840

Someone answer this^
>>
>>7648840
Whichever you finds reads best.
>>
>>7647865
>>7647716
>>7647645

I think it's supposed to mean wood, at least if OP transcribed it correctly. The v is used to replace the w, whereas the v is replaced by an f.
will -> vil
have-> haf
It only makes sense that vood would mean wood then, unless either OP fucked up or Dostoeyevsky/Wilks a shit who can't into accent consistency.

On a side note, more like BolaƱo? Almost done with his entire prose work and can't get enough.
>>
>>7648602

Much obliged anon
>>
>>7648913
The v makes an F sound in vood in this situation as it will in many german words. The translator seems to have an understanding of German and translated it as the way you might see the words in German. If he meant wood, he would use wood rather vood. I understand you fancy yourself a top shelf code breaker, but I must inform you that you are wrong. Also makes more sense in the context.
>>
Does anyone know of some good books about film theory and history?
>>
Does anyone who isn't a writer here actually keep a diary or journal? I feel like writing short thoughts about books I've read and what I thought of them at the time, among other things, would be neat to look back at. Although I'm not sure if I should make it a daily thing or just whenever I finish something or have done anything notable.
>>
>>7649645
I do, but i only write when i feel like shit.
>>
>>7649510
If the v is supposed to make an f sound, why doesn't he use it exclusively? See haf, serfants, deserf.
Also it makes no difference whether or not the v in German often makes an f sound, it's an English language translation and when you show a foreign accent in writing, you don't use the native spelling of the language you are implying. The whole point is to show the accent to the reader by the conventions of the language he is actually reading the words in, which is English in this case.
I understand that food makes sense, but so does wood, as in firewood.
Or maybe Wilks didn't put too much thought into it and just fucked up the sentence, which makes this whole argument kind of dumb.
I'm still right though.
>>
Has anyone read a good book on Yakuza culture?
>>
File: faust.jpg (36KB, 340x473px) Image search: [Google]
faust.jpg
36KB, 340x473px
What is the best version of Faust that I should read?
>>
File: kindle-books.jpg (137KB, 782x943px) Image search: [Google]
kindle-books.jpg
137KB, 782x943px
Which of these should I buy and read on my new kindle?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.