[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT /lit/ is a flawed board. Well read, educated individuals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

File: 1452207908897.png (232KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
1452207908897.png
232KB, 500x380px
ITT /lit/ is a flawed board.

Well read, educated individuals are outnumbered by the younger generation who are eager to learn and explore literature but are faced with the reality of this incredibly fast paced culture/meme society those of us in the first world inhabit. Besides the fact that reading literature is an incredibly personal experience, the actual dissecting of themes, characters, motifs and plot takes a large amount of patience and study. Over and over again I read the same anons who complain that they can't find motivation to open a page from their pile of books or once they start they can't focus for more than 5 minutes.

What ends up happening is that /lit/ becomes a place we visit after putting down our books during a sporadic reading session only to get frustrated at the lack of original posts and ideas but still gratified enough due to the stimulation of person-to-person interaction and memes.
>>
>>7635272
I actually read my books, anon, and I believe a lot of people here do too. But I don't have friends so I come here to pretend I have some kind of human interaction from time to time then I return to my reading session. We're sad people, I guess. But there's nothing we can do about it.
>>
I read 2 hours every day before I go to sleep. You're right about internet being a distraction, tho. I usually hide my phone so I don't get tempted by the fast and cheap dopamine supply we all get from the web.
>>
>>7635272
Talk for yourself, man. I do enjoy reading. I use this board to find interesting stuff to read, and it has helped me sometimes. Also, I come here to talk about some of the books I read when I have nobody to talk about them irl.
>>
>>7635272
I've already read four books this year, but I mainly lurk. I guess that makes you correct. Good job OP!
>>
I'm part of that younger generation. I take my time when I read, atm I just wanna find out where to start so I can work my way into the harder stuff that it seems everyone on here adores, but every time I try I get made fun of and people pretend I'm from reddit
>>
jokes on you i just come here because force feeding skinnyfat virgins victorian children's literature is my fetish. pygmalion 4 lyfe
>>
>>7635332
Don't take people in here too seriously. /lit/ can give you some direction when it comes to reading but sometimes you need to find the answers by yourself. Beware the memes, have fun with them, but don't let them become part of your life.
>>
>>7635272
This post reeks of so much self-righteousness I bet you can smell your own farts without your head even going near your asshole
>>
>>7635272
Yup, just stop coming here and soon you'll forget about all those silly memes. Books will prelude to books and those books will lead to reflections which will guide you to more books! Remember get a library card, no need to feed when you are hungry.
>>
>been on /lit/ since day one

It legit upsets me how this board is just "/pol/ discusses books" now.
>>
>>7635742
Well it started out as "[r9k] reads books," then for a while it was "/mu/ reads books." Cycles, my friend.
>>
>>7635742
they just post a lot
>>7635768
same with those cunts (i don't ever remember a /mu/ period, though)

we're still here, we just don't shitpost
>>
>>7635784
It's where the aggressive meming and obsessing over flowcharts comes form.
>>
>>7635802
oh, really, shit... the flowcharts
fuck
they really snuck up on me
i guess they blended in well because their interests aren't so far off
i wish /pol/ could just talk about manifesto for a european renaissance or whatever
i would actually really like it -- it would add some new material -- but they don't fucking read
>>
>>7635272
literature is an oppressive bourgeoisie construct that must be smashed. Embrace the meme-low as liberatory. never open a book again
>>
Im acually a football player at an American university and my friends make fun of me for reading all the time.
So I came here to talk to like minded individuals who love to read. And to learn about books and authors in general.
>>
>>7635297
Exactly this. I don't consider /lit/ a discussion board strictly for literature; I consider it a hangout spot for people who like literature.

The people who actually invest their free time in reading are great resources for planning and researching the reading you intend to do in the future. It's instructional without being work, providing a reprieve from what is often difficult reading, while still being useful, and about books.

I come here hoping to learn from you guys, to make my own modest contribution based on the things I read, and to chat with the only other people I've ever met who can empathize with the use of reading as an attempt to make up for social awkwardness and alienation in real life.

I've never met you guys and never will, but have more fun shitposting with you than hanging out with most people I know in the real world.
>>
>>7635914
What about the memes, though
>>
>>7635272
This was me. But eventually you get bored of /lit/ and its memes, video games, etc. and actually start reading.
>>
>>7635815
get out
>>
>>7635917
I love you too anon
>>
I found a way to fix this

I got a job thats next to a subway station that's far away. So I take the train an hour to work each day. In that hour I have nothing else to do but read, so I am able to force myself to. So far I've gotten through some books.
>>
>>7636241
You could play mobile games like the people around you.
>>
>>7636404
Fuck off normie
>>
>>7636241
>>7636404
I do this too. I have an hour break between two classes so instead of shitposting on 4chan i'll read a book on my kindle
>>
File: 1443834790011.jpg (63KB, 576x507px) Image search: [Google]
1443834790011.jpg
63KB, 576x507px
>>7635917
>>
>>7635742

>"/pol/ discusses books" now

Every media board has been reduced to "/pol/ discusses blank" now. Just look at /tv/.

The "/pol/" mindset is the worst thing to ever happen to 4chan and it's legitimately killing the site.
>>
>>7636454

JIDF! GETTEMOUTTAHERE
>>
>>7636618
if you niggers read it would be fine
>>7636454
they're a vocal minority, just ignore them
>>
>>7635321
Source?
>>
>>7636454
I agree, this /pol/ shit is terrible, actively dumbing down the place and it was already pretty dumb
>>
>>7636795
>>7636454
>>7635742

t. newfies upset /lit/ isn't a Marxist circlejerk like Reddit
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 331x334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 331x334px
>>7635917
Taking solace in my replies and using 4chan to escape reality? You belong to me, cretin.
>>
>>7636827
fuck off, stupid frog faggot
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 436x436px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 436x436px
>>7636867
Our little green friend has been around since you were in middle school kiddo. Go back to crying about him with the rest of your autists on your containment board >>>/r9k/
>>
Even moot quit 4chan.

Why haven't you?
>>
>>7635321

I'm on my 11th. The last one was Anna Karenina.

Step up your game. Lurk less, read moar.
>>
>>7636454
/pol/ak here

I think you tend to put all of us in the same bag...

you can go on /pol/ and still read Zweig or others
>>
>>7636930

I did. For 2 years, 2013-2015.

Now I'm back. You can never leave :)
>>
File: fem.jpg (6KB, 208x250px) Image search: [Google]
fem.jpg
6KB, 208x250px
>>7635321

how?! T_T I only managed to read one so far..
>>
File: Ikki-manga.jpg (81KB, 658x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ikki-manga.jpg
81KB, 658x1024px
Give me any good book to read fags.
>>
>>7636973
fuck off back to /r9k/
>>
>>7637084
the prince by machiavel
>>
>>7637084
your mom's cunt
>>
>>7636930
I actually did quit when moot did, I was genuinely bored with the place, /lit/ being more and more just philosophy shitposting and memes, and it was a great reason to stop. But then in June I went on /v/ for the e3 shitposting and I wanted to keep getting my fix but /v/ is obviously terrible, so I've just been here and none of the other boards i used to browsee casually. I got a lot of reading done when I dropped 4chan completely so I settled into no more than 40 mins or so of browsing total.
>>
File: 1453179690730.jpg (145KB, 670x424px) Image search: [Google]
1453179690730.jpg
145KB, 670x424px
>>7637091
Seems like your mad friendo
>>
My advice to someone who is having difficulty reading regularly is commit yourself to at least ten pages every time you open the book. No matter what each time you open that book you are going to read at least ten pages.
>>
>>7635297
Makes me sad I relate to what you wrote
>>
>>7637257
>ctrl+f avid
>no results
>>
I lurk /lit/ every now and then to see the kinds of authors and books that get talked about a lot. I find that many people here have good taste and I have read a lot of good books and discovered lots of new writers by coming here.

I don't actually come here to discuss anything. It always amazes me how there can be so many threads bashing The Stranger only for it to be obvious that OP and a large number of the people in every thread completely misunderstand the book. Don't even get me started on the philosophy. I live with someone who has a masters in philosophy and he becomes audible angry when I read from the philosophy threads to him. The memes can sometimes be funny as well.
>>
>>7635943
It's meme-lite over here on /lit/
Which is good, just insular memes, none of that re-hashed bologna you see on other boards.
>>
>>7636963
I have a full time job and other hobbies. If I could just sit around and read all day I'd burn through way more than a book a week.

>>7636973
Don't worry about how much you read, just do it when you can.

>>7636784
Sorry bruh, dunno...have another though.
>>
this OP gets it.
>>
>>7636973
More free time or they're short books. I finished Count of Monte Cristo today and I'm not complaining, it's a 1200+ page book and I read one hour a day.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.