[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi Lit I am a complete /lit noob. What are the first 50 books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Hi Lit
I am a complete /lit noob.
What are the first 50 books I should read?
To put it into perspective, I just finished reading 1984. I have just begun dracula.
I am reading on the bus when I go to and fro work.
I read lord of the flies & brave new world in school, so no need for those ones.
Beyond these, I haven't literally read nothing.
So give me your most basic 50-100 books to give me a decent base to work with!
>>
>>7615572
Good on you friend! This is a decent list http://www.theguardian.com/books/2003/oct/12/features.fiction Basically just read the ones you've heard of first, then come back her when you want advice for more.
>>
You have to show that numbers mean something to you when you can finish something, not much different from eating at a buffet.
>>
>>7615581
thanks! this looks like a good starting point.
desu i feel like my mind is fucking pleb tier since i haven't read anything
>>
>>7615572
start with short stories

And dracula is so boring...
>>
>>7615600
Don't worry about it mate, just be excited you have so many fantastic novels to read! Most of us have already read them; I wish I could go back and read them for the first time again.

Some "easier" big popular novels might be stuff like:
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Great Gatsby
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Lolita
Pride and Prejudice
The Catcher in the Rye
Wuthering Heights
Heart of Darkness
Gulliver's Travels
Catch-22
The Grapes of Wrath
The Stranger
Great Expectations
A Tale of Two Cities
Beloved

Some big popular novels that I think are legitimately fantastic are:
Don Quixote
Moby Dick
War and Peace
The Brothers Karamazov
Anna Karenina
Crime and Punishment
Les Miserables

I'd stick to the "easier" ones until you start getting a bit sick of them, then perhaps move onto something like Anna Karenina. Basically read what appeals to you and that challenges you a bit but not so much you get frustrated, just enough that you feel that "wow" moment while reading.
>>
>>7615618
i will read everything on that list and come back in like 1 years time lol.
basically i spend about 10 hours a week on the bus. so 10x52 = 520 hours.
>>
>>7615629
Sounds fun.

Yeah I had to commute long distances in my youth and I read so much. on the train. Long commutes suck but at least reading makes it fun/productive.

Enjoy the books, and if you find yourself really disliking one, don't force yourself to read it. It's perfectly okay to dislike a classic.
>>
OP, see: >>7604403
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.