[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to read stuff that is genuinely independent of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Han Fei Zi.jpg (173KB, 608x689px) Image search: [Google]
Han Fei Zi.jpg
173KB, 608x689px
I'm trying to read stuff that is genuinely independent of my culture. What suggestions do you guys have?

So far, I've read the Egyptian Book of the Dead, the collected writings of Han Fei Zi, and the Analects.

>My Reasoning
Even though many of them avoid admitting this, most modern intellectual movements have Christian roots. At least partially. Christianity is a fusion of Roman Law, Hebrew Religion and Greek Philosophy. So I should read books that are older than Yahweh and Plato, or who were isolated from Yahweh and Plato.
>>
Egypt was linked to Greece.

And many Eastern ideas have been transmitted to out culture already.
>>
>>7615199
Point taken. But the connection of

Ancient Egyptian religion -> Greek Philosophy -> Modern Culture

is pretty weak.

>Eastern ideas have been transmitted to out culture
Confucius didn't make it to the West until about 1600. So he's independent of the Westprior to 1600, but not the modern West. So long as I contrast him with Western ideas that existed before 1600, he is genuinely independent.
>>
Zhuangzi, Bhagavad Gita, Gilgamesh
>>
>>7615227
I know, just thought I ought to make it clear.

Here's a few:

Mozi
Mencius
Daodejing
Zhuangzi
Xunxi
On the White Hirse
Robber Zhi
>>
>>7615231
>Bhagavad Gita
I've heard that it's difficult to understand this text in English.

Is there a recommended scholarly translation? Or a recommended scholarly commentary on the text and common interpretations of the text?

>Gilgamesh
Oh yeah, I've read that too.
>>
>>7615249
I haven't read it, but I've heard good things about Easwarans translation.

For philosophical texts in general, Hackett and Cambridge tend to be the best for supplementary material.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.