[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, do you have a favorite journalist? What is a good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: Ernie.jpg (38KB, 200x341px) Image search: [Google]
Ernie.jpg
38KB, 200x341px
Hey /lit/, do you have a favorite journalist? What is a good journalist to you? How can journalism combine with literature?

My favorite journalist is Ernie Pyle, famous WW2 War Correspondent. He wrote this days before he was shot, just before the war formally ended:

>But there are so many of the living who have had burned into their brains forever the unnatural sight of cold dead men scattered over the hillsides and in the ditches along the high rows of hedge throughout the world.

>Dead men by mass production-in one country after another-month after month and year after year. Dead men in winter and dead men in summer.

>Dead men in such familiar promiscuity that they become monotonous.

>Dead men in such monstrous infinity that you come almost to hate them.

>Those are the things that you at home need not even try to understand. To you at home they are columns of figures, or he is a near one who went way and just didn’t come back. You didn’t see him lying so grotesque and pasty beside the gravel road in France.

>We saw him, saw him by the multiple thousands. That’s the difference.

>We hope above all things that Japan won’t make the same stubborn mistake that Germany did. You must credit Germany for her courage in adversity, but you can doubt her good common sense in fighting blindly on long after there was any doubt whatever about the outcome.

You can read the whole thing here, and I advise you do: It's beautiful
http://mediaschool.indiana.edu/erniepyle/1945/04/18/on-victory-in-europe/

Other /lit/ journalists: Camus, Twain, Hemingway, David Foster Wallace wrote magazine articles.

It's a /lit/ profession, is it not?
>>
>>7604204
Ernie was definitely a great one. I don't know if I would call it a lit profession, though. These days, it is totally corrupt. The time to be a journalist (or, better, a reporter) was in the 40s to the 70s. Woodward and Bernstein really destroyed it, not because they were wrong, but because they turned it into a collegiate level job. Give me the old beat reporter who raced around town chasing the cops and firemen covering the crime beat when they weren't stuck with sitting in a City Council meeting for four hours. H.L. Manken was a legit newspaperman, although more on the editorial side. I can't think of any at the moment, but it was certainly a great job once upon a time.
>>
Seems boring. What's great about this?
>muh brave men
Die cis scum
>>
I like Peter Taylor, BBC correspondent who wrote a lot of critical material on the british states role in Northern Ireland. He also came out against censorship and bias in the BBC

Also Ed Maloney, probably the single most important investigator of the IRA alive.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.