[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is the best order to read the Nietzsche works?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: Nietzsche.jpg (14KB, 220x298px) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche.jpg
14KB, 220x298px
Which is the best order to read the Nietzsche works?
>>
>>7602597
chronologically
>>
don't
>>
>>7602597
i read antichrist first, then geneology and gay science then twilight and beyond good and evil. this is a pretty good sequence. kind of like when a movie starts with the final scene.
>>
If you plan on reading everything, with Ecce Homo, then go back to Birth of Tragedy (with his later preface) and go chronologically from there.

Otherwise, start with Beyond Good and Evil.
>>
start with Notes from Underground and then Crime and Punishment
>>
File: op.jpg (157KB, 280x475px) Image search: [Google]
op.jpg
157KB, 280x475px
>>7602597
>>
>>7602600
I recommend skipping him as well.
>>
>>7602656
il/lit/terate detected
>>
>>7602913
>>7602600

OP here, what are the reasons for skipping Nietzsche?
>>
planning to read the gay science first is that ok?
>>
>>7602930
He was just an edgy contrarian. Literally nothing he wrote was deep enough to make me think twice.
>>
File: Ubermensch.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Ubermensch.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
bump
>>
>>7603208
This sounds more like my reaction to your comment and less like my reaction to his numerous masterworks of poetry and philosophy.
>>
Geneaoaeology of Morals
>>
>>7603208
I had most of nietzsche views already in me, but at the same time, or even because of that I found him to be the best philosopher I read yet.
If there are any "deeper" philosophers they're pretty much autistic and write stuff they though about when they were high
>>
>>7603614
Nietzsche only told you what you needed to hear in order to become your best self. The rest is up to you as an individual to set lofty goals for yourself and achieve them.
>>
>>7603208

"Not deep enough" ...ha. Just because you read the words doesn't mean you understood them.
>>
>>7603208
>edgy contrarian

he's one of the only philosophers still readily relevant today
>>
File: 1430929166440.jpg (66KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1430929166440.jpg
66KB, 499x499px
>>7603614
>For me, it's Nietzsche
>intelligent, nihilistic with a wicked sense of humor
>>
>>7603674
>Nietzsche
>nihilist
Failed meme
>>
>>7603682
>there is no objective order or structure in the world except what we give it
>all values are baseless
>reason is impotent
>not nihilism

Just because he's an optimist doesn't mean he isn't also a nihilist
>>
>>7603682
Wow, how intelligent of you to point that out! What a wicked sense of humour!
>>
>>7603691
You evidently haven't read Neecho if you think he's a nihilist
>>
>>7603700
He was a nihilist who found a way to transcend nihilism and nihilist themes (epistemological failure, value destruction, cosmic purposelessness etc.) appear constantly throughout his works.

Stop being a pedant
>>
Was talking Nietzsche with the professor today and we talked about being better than others.

I said (retardedly) that if society is a natural evolution and component of human development, then sociopaths have an advantage over us. They're typically able to advance in society quite easily and make use of their disorder to rise in rank.

He said that doesn't work because Sociopathy doesn't typically mean your genes will be passed on. And then he said "Hitler had no kids!" And I did the stupid thing of implying Hitler was successful for a time. And we went back and forth, I was saying Hitler's rise to power was his moment of success and had he not been stopped he probably would have continued onward. Professor said it was irrelevant because Hitler brained himself at the end and said his ultimate goal was rendered pointless and destroyed.

We did this for awhile.

And then he just kept referencing me the entire class about "putting a bullet in your head" and "Invading Poland" the rest of class and people laughed at me for defending Hitler even though I really didn't mean to. I was only defending Nietzsche's idea of Will to Power and he got me caught up in Hitler and I had no choice but to look like a Nazi.

Anyway, how do I use Nietzsche to overcome this incredible shame.
>>
>>7603713
Realize that the shame you're feeling is baseless and go for a four hour hike
>>
>>7602598

Agreed.

OP, read them chronologically.
>>
>>7603713
The shame you feel is because of slave Morality. You are actualized at the whim of others.
>>
>>7603718
Walked to the library.

>>7603729
I know. I'm human filth.
>>
>>7603713
I think Nietzsche is unfairly panned as an immoral individual, Ayn Rand though she was doing him a solid but I think people like her are the reason people have such a bad view of him; along with the fact that his sister helped edit his books for the Nazi regime. My pathetic understanding of his philosophy, summed up, was "Live what you love and love while you live" in that he was an artistically minded man who lived and breathed in poetic philosophy; and loved it. Part of his over coming of nihilism was that he created his own meaning through his art and passion, he wasn't the only one who did things like this, Oscar Wilde also comes to mind. Nietzsche loved the Greek god Dionysus because of his "eat drink and be marry for tomorrow we die" kind of projection, he certainly was not a sociopath lover like Ayn Rand. In fact, it has often been pointed out that Nietzsche's basic concept of the superman transcends things he even views as petty, revenge for example. Nietzsche hated pity that was inactive, not pity as an emotional response, his hate was against people who use their pity to do nothing; pious pity 'the poor will be with you always' kind of pity, to do nothing but console yourself. I love Nietzsche, and I hate seeing what has been done to his philosophy on the street level, he's attributed with monsters when he is most likely one of the most emotionally and spiritually complex philosophers I've ever read.
>>
>>7603787

Agreed.

Please are just looking for someone to justify their worst tendencies. It is a kind of laziness that Nietzsche would have despised.
>>
>>7603787
You may like Nietzsche: Philosopher, Psychologist, Antichrist by Kaufmann, it's partially a re-evaluation of Nietzsche's thought, and a try to correct Nietzsche's public image after Hitler (originally published in the 50s when the English-speaking world saw Nietzsche as that Hitler-philosopher)
>>
>>7603691
>all values are baseless

False, Nietzsche thinks all values are physiological
>>
>>7602930
I'd be surprised if my input means much against the mainstream opinion, but I feel like it was a waste of time. There are other more important things to read (skepticism, scholasticism, empiricism) in my opinion.

I have no idea why you wanted to read him, though - so I'm only mentioning my experiences.
>>
The Birth of Tragedy
The Genealogy of Morals
Ecce Homo

That's probably how I would start. Just save Zarathustra for later.
>>
>>7602597
Intro-tier:
Twilight of the Idols
Gay Science
On the Genealogy of Morals

Hardest: BGaE

Final: Zarathustra

Then you can go about dabbling in everything else he said since atheism/post-modernism is already in full swing in the west, you only need the rest to understand the man - if you want to.
>>
I think The Gay Science is a solid place to start. Don't got chronologically, nietzsche himself wasn't too happy with The Birth of Tragedy. Not saying it isn't worth reading, but I wouldn't start there.

Also I'm just finishing pic related and it's fantastic for those who want some secondary Nietzsche literature
>>
>>7603711
>He talks about nihilism a lot in his work
>must be a nihilist
>>
File: e2atrgg.jpg (471KB, 1195x1593px) Image search: [Google]
e2atrgg.jpg
471KB, 1195x1593px
>>7602600
>>7602910
>>7602656
>>7603208
Slave moralists and people who haven't read Nietzsche here.

>>7603639
He would say (and I'm pretty sure he did say) that the best literature is that which allows you to realize what you actually already knew—in fact, that is what we tend to off-highhandedly think of as best.

>>7604455
Zarathrustra is the most like a novel though.

>>7604473
But in Genealogy he kind of hints that his work should be read in order, at least that's sort of what I understood it as. (At any rate, he does state near the beginning that if you don't understand the work that it is probably because you haven't read his oeuvre.)
>>
>>7602597
Just read his wikipédia page, and you're done
or even just the summary of his books
you don't have all your fucking life to read so much shit (probably good shit but who knows, nobody read the whole fucking thing before)
>>
>>7603614
He was so fucking right about Christianity. Well, he and Stirner.

Humanism is just repackaged christfaggotry and Yurop is paying the price right now. Compassion needs to be purged from the public consciousness.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.