[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys I'm about to start reading this. Should I expect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: House of Leaves.jpg (231KB, 1104x1475px) Image search: [Google]
House of Leaves.jpg
231KB, 1104x1475px
Hey guys I'm about to start reading this. Should I expect to be able to understand it on a first read?

Is it worth reading?
>>
>>7594974
It's fun. Not really hard to read nor complex, just some gimmicks here and there and a lot of quotes. Nice edition though.
>>
Totally enjoyed it
Go for it op
>>
I want to tell you to read something else instead, but, due to its recent surge in popularity people will just tell me to "stop memeing".
>>
The last 100 pages kind of drag (you should have already been able to predict the ending at that point) but its a fun read and a surprising amount of people have read it, so its good fun to talk about at parties. Some parts drag others are a blast.
>>
I thought it was incredibly hacky the way that Danielewski just spews out pages and pages of names that have no relation to any sort of development apart from the overall size of the book.

Those sections were a literary middle finger to the reader in my opinion and I stopped reading after the major exploration.

The best bit was the mother's letters in the back
>>
Yes
No
>>
>>7594974
I have tried to read it twice. Gave me a fucking headache. Gimmicky. The author's stand in has way to extensive a vocabulary for a fucking druggie tattoo needle maker. Got like 350 pages in and stopped. I think it is the only book I didn't finish.

I read 'The Power and the Glory' instead. I suggest you do the same.
>>
It's fun, but Borges does the same thing much better (and I think Danielewski himself would probably agree with that assessment).
>>
Just read it, enjoy it, and take whatever you can from it. It's honestly that simple, with all books.
>>
It's okay. Nothing awful but nothing spectacular either. It's got a neato spooky atmosphere and has a fun mystery at heart, with some enjoyable, albeit gimmicky, uses of graphology.

It's okay. Get through it because it's not particularly difficult and then move on to the books it tries to emulate (Infinite Jest, White Noise, Gravity's Rainbow, those sort of labyrinthine doorstoppers).
>>
>>7594974

These dulls anons who 'couldn't finish it' because of footnotes and some gimmick pages should fuck off back to /v/. It's a readable fun horror story. If you can read this post, you can clearly understand English fine and therefore you will be able to read this book.
>>
File: gaz-1997a.jpg (103KB, 601x700px) Image search: [Google]
gaz-1997a.jpg
103KB, 601x700px
it's a massive doorstopper of a book and it's all about nothing.

a lot of fun.
>>
>>7594974
>Should I expect to be able to understand it on a first read?

Yes. Other than the typographical shit, it's not really difficult to read. It wears its themes pretty damn clearly on its sleeve.
>>
>>7595807
>fuck off back to /v/
m8, /lit/ has been dismissing HoL as gimmicky for years
>>
This page has been intentionally left blank the novel
>>
>>7594974
It's a fun book, at least I thought so years ago when I read it.

It's not difficult in the sense of complex themes or dense prose, the difficulty comes from having to turn the book 180 degrees occasionally and reading footnotes. If you don't understand it after a first read you're probably literally retarded.
>>
>>7595361
I think it might have been part of the satirization of literary criticism that runs throughout the book.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.