[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of his body of work? I haven't read anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: Kurt_Vonnegut_1972.jpg (262KB, 936x1388px) Image search: [Google]
Kurt_Vonnegut_1972.jpg
262KB, 936x1388px
What do you think of his body of work? I haven't read anything by him since highschool and am about to start re-reading to see if it still holds up.
>>
>>7594718
>>>/r/books/
>>
Not my favorite writer but you can talk to a lot of people about Breakfast of Champions or Slaughterhouse.

I like Breakfast of Champions more of the two
>>
>>7594724
Kill yourself?
>>
Cat's Cradle held up well when I reread it a couple of years ago. Mother Night was pretty bad upon revisiting it. Haven't reread anything else by him and I doubt I will.

He's what got me into serious reading though so I'll always feel a little nostalgic towards him.
>>
>>7594718
pretty nigga Kurt
>>
>>7594754
tits or gtfo
>>
S5 is the only one I've read. I'm not american so I don't have Highschool memories of him.

That said, I liked the book... It was charming, sad and funny, but nothing on the level of for example of Mason and Dixon which I would describe with the same set of words.

Want to read Cat's Cradle tho because it's the only Bloom approved work of his.
>>
>>7594718

I started reading one of his books once on the recommendation of one of my friends and I didn't even finish it because I couldn't stand it. I totally get why /lit/ considers him to be pleb trash and get irritated when people post about him here. His work is sort of like the lowest-common denominator which people who consider themselves readers would end up being attracted to. His writing is incredibly cringe-inducing and ham-fisted, and I almost felt like I was getting stupider by reading it.

Its as though he lacks any talent and so he relies on LolSoRandum!! humor to make up for it in addition to these poorly-executed and clumsy messages that he tries to embed in his books that have to do with the goodness or the mysterious of the universe - not that there is anything inherently wrong with those themes but they are so poorly done it ends up being pitifully bad. The core of his writing boils down to "I suck at writing but heh thats life and we are all just people amirite? also check out this silly funny scene I made lol, who cares about being good at anything, not me!!". The primary audience his works seem to be intended for are 13 or 14 year olds who are just starting to develop their own conceptions of the universe and as a springboard need something that will allow them to feel as though they "get it" and that they are unique and interesting and sooo much more mature and perceptive then everyone else their age for reading this cool quirky book! Its for people who want to go beyond teenage and YA genre-fiction but don't want to be challenged or be confronted with the fact that they have just read actual shit their whole life. Any self-respecting intelligent adult should immediately recognize Vonnegut's writing as worthless trash upon reading it. If he was alive and I saw him walking down the street I'd call him a fag and punch him in the mouth.

Friends don't let friends read Vonnegut. You're probably from reddit anyway since you posted this and the best thing would be for you to go back there but if you plan on staying just don't ever post about Vonnegut because bad begets bad and nothing good can come of even talking about him, the very thought of his writing leaves a bad taste in the mind.
>>
>>7594798
Smells like the Goodreads comment section
>>
>>7594798

This is fucking retarded. I'm not a big fan but your ignorance is being terribly unfair. Your "review" is basically "it's accessible and highschoolers read it and girls that will never sleep with me read it so I hate it".

Grow up m8... His style is just accessible, but in the end he was very innovative, like him or not, in the 60s
>>
>>7594806
Him being innovative in the 60s is straight bullshit.
>>
>>7594798
You sound like someone who wears a cape. I'm not surprised your friend recommended you Vonnegut.
>>
>>7594806
how was he innovative in the 60s?
>>
>>7594815
Cawwed and guffawed. Great post.
>>
>>7594814
he might have been innovative in sci-fi and mainstream fiction but that's about it
>>
>>7594790
Will man boobs suffice?
>>
>>7594806

>girls that will never sleep with [him] read it

Well you got that part right at least.
>>
>>7594856
tits or gtfo
>>
>>7594806
>>7594856

If I knew a girl liked Vonnegut I wouldn't sleep with her unless she was an 8 or above and she knew I wasn't interested in a relationship. Girls that read shitty literature are the worse.
>>
>>7594881
The absolute worse, I agree
>>
File: 1430433258291.png (26KB, 889x737px) Image search: [Google]
1430433258291.png
26KB, 889x737px
>>7594798
He's over praised by Plebs but he's not John Green tier as you make him out to be. He's decent for what he is.
>>
So... Vonnegut is not the best writer, but he is not the worst either.

If you go back and reread anything then you will possibly be disappointed by the lack of depth, but the same jokes you laughed at the first time around you will probably laugh about again.

There is nothing wrong with rereading him, or at least a page or two that you remember to be funny. If you already own the books then no harm. I own quite a few of his books as they were given to me as gifts from people throughout the years, and I enjoy the occasional chuckle if I'm between books.
>>
Say what you will about Vonnegut, he wrote Harrison Bergeron. And to me, that (incredibly) short story is the most currently applicable piece of literature available for the happenings of our time.

And Slaughterhouse Five was a great read that touched upon the feelings of being a combat vet very well.
>>
>>7594798
*tips with the power of 1000 hats*
>>
Eh, he's ok.
>>
I Liked Siren's of Titan a lot. Don't remember to much about it now that I think about it, I'll have to give it another go
>>
>body of work
We here call that the oeuvre here youngster. Maybe if you took your eyes of the manure you'd see that.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.