[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was that first story or poem you read in class which made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

What was that first story or poem you read in class which made you appreciate literature?
>>
>>7591935
probably Bradbury's All Summer In A Day. The only story or poem that actually got emotion out of me in class.

If summer reading etc. counts, the first is Of Mice And Men.
>>
wasn't assigned for class, but angels & demons was the book that got me interested in literature, and i feel no shame about that
>>
I don't remember which poem it was, but it was by e.e. cummings. and just him as a person. As douchey as it sounds it took me getting into writing in order to get into reading.
>>
slaughterhouse 5
>>
Crime & Punishment
>>
>>7592024
Same here anon
>>
A una nariz by Quevedo
>>
>>7591935
First poem that got me into poetry was Kubla Khan, and it was a class assignment. I got into prose fiction too far back to remember and I doubt it was because of a class.
>>
I read these outside of class:
Finn Family Moomintroll in third grade
The Story of King Arthur and His Knights by Howard Pyle in fifth grade
>>
Honestly nothing, I never appreciated literature in classwork because it was just a chore and additional homework I saw no purpose in

It would have been great if English class involved just reading books and learning grammar but after grade 7 we were expected to do stupid shit like "mind maps" and "theme squares" and beat other dead horses instead of just enjoying books in and of themselves.
>>
I got into it through writing, really. In fifth grade I had this weird arrangement where I didn't like my teacher but I only had him for history because I was in the honors classes (blah blah blah) and the other fifth grade teacher taught science, so I worked out this deal where they let me sit in the library by myself and write at the computers or read Sherlock Holmes or whatever. We didn't read much in middle school but I kept writing and by high school was getting into reading. We studied Romeo and Juliet and To Kill a Mockingbird in my freshman English class but I had friends in it who made it a great experience. Then later I really got into it when I had an artsy girlfriend in a bunch of english/art classes with me and we read Dragon Tattoo and Brave New World and Salinger and a bunch of stuff together and worked together on the school newspaper.
>>
>>7591935
I read Inkheart in class, because I got it at the book fair. But... nothing assigned ever stirred much in me until college.
>>
Edgar Allen Poe's jaunt through the spooky colored rooms.
>>
The Lottery. Quelle surprise ending. I enjoyed the Socratic ironic point it made.
>>
Didn't go to school, I used the internet to figure out what kind of education my parents should have been providing me with. Aside from science, math, etc. texts, I made myself read obligatory high school lit, Poe, Tolkien, Salinger, etc., enjoyed it. Fell in love with the Beats of course, and to this day Burroughs is my GOAT author. Naked Lunch is good, but The Western Lands changed me on a profound level, I am constantly in the middle of re-reading it.
>>
File: 1439238499960.jpg (8KB, 240x210px) Image search: [Google]
1439238499960.jpg
8KB, 240x210px
A Tale of Two Cities, t b h family. So many people my freshman year of high school criticized it for being pleonastic and even redundant, but I love that shit, and most of what Dickens has ever written.
>>
Probably In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. How commonly is that book assigned in high school?
>>
>>7593393
journalism classes read it, mine did
>>
>>7593393
It was assigned to my English III AP course, if that means anything.
>>
Probably In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. How commonly is that assigned in high school?
>>
>>7593398
Fuck
>>
Treasure Island in grade school. Some dumb kids mom though complained that it was too violent and had it taken away from us before we could finish it. I didn't read it all till last year when one of my best friends bought me a nice copy of it.
>>
>>7593397
Huh. I think I was assigned it as a sophomore but in a standard English class. It's still one of my favorite non-fiction pieces.
>>
>>7593405
Yeah, man, it's pretty nice. But to be honest with you, I don't remember a lot of what went dizzity down in my junior English AP class. We read shit like Grapes of Wrath, Ethan Frome, The Scarlet Letter, The Crucible, and The Great Gatsby as well as In Cold Blood. If I remember correctly, the class was focused on literary analysis rather than the actual reading of novels (if that makes sense).
>>
10th grade we had to read Prufrock, Fern Hill, Ozymandias, Ode to a Nightingale and The Second Coming. I've been a poetry fag ever since.
>>
>>7591935

The Stranger.

the professor gave the whole class way too much freedom, no one had to read anything, nor in most cases go to class. he was too soft and didnt have the heart to punish the class, and he felt bad about it.
on turn was camus' stranger, and i was like, i will honor the professor, i feel bad about him. it was convenient for me because stranger is real short. i read everything that was needed for the class after that.
>>
>>
The Great Gatsby, Junior year in high school
>>
>>7593363
>tolkien
>obligatory lit
>>
The first book that made me appreciate and not just enjoy literature was Ender's Game. Reading Speaker For The Dead subsequently put me in a state of awe for Orson Scott Card's Writing.
>>
>>7591935
The Most Dangerous Game.
>>
I picked up guitar and discovered a few acts that blew my mind, one being The Airborne Toxic Event, then my friend showed me Conor Oberst's work with Bright Eyes and I became fascinated with that style of songwriting. Once I discovered Leonard Cohen that was it. No one even came close. I started reading poetry from there. I was home schooled by the way.
>>
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.