[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a Word

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20151122_171954.jpg (538KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151122_171954.jpg
538KB, 3264x2448px
Basically loneliness but while being surrounded by people. The feeling you get when you're depressed and even if you're at a night out with some friends you feel alone. Or even in the more broad sense of being by yourself in a crowded city. Perhaps looking out from your balcony and watching people go by. I don't know the word for this emotion. Particularly one without any kind of negative association. Like a serene kind of loneliness.
>>
The word your'e looking for is German, "Tumannijüden."
>>
The word you're looking for is African, "Jumanji."
>>
The word you're looking for is in Dutch, "kontvingeren"
>>
ennui
>>
The word you're looking for is English, "Alienation."
>>
>>7587038
no.
>>
>>7586985
Boredom, ennui, melancholy... I can think of these.
>>
Emptiness?
>>
Yeah, I know what you mean... an "Infinite Jest" sort of feeling. DFW captured it well.
>>
>>7587063
I think that's more the feeling of when you're surrounded by talent and feeling lonely.
>>
>>7587040
I still feels like that carries too much negative weight though.

>>7587055
No, not like that. Just the state of being alone in a crowd not of boredom.

The best example I suppose I could give would be from the song "Summer Nights" by Esprit. It does a good job of providing this feeling.
>>
>>7587080
Ah. I see. Ok. So the word you're looking for is loneliness.
>>
Preoccupied is a good down-to-earth word but you seem like you're looking for something more ethereal ... of course, depression is simply a sort of introverted preoccupation. A downward spiral of introspection.

But I don't think you want the word preoccupation. "Like a serene kind of loneliness" sounds like nostalgia, not in the sense of 'nostalgic' but when someone is entirely taken over by a vision to the past. However, nostalgia does imply an object of the nostalgic feeling, so it's not right either.
>>
>>7586985
distanced?
>>
>>7587094
But more neutral. I don't think loneliness would be apt for the specific situation of feeling alone in a crowd either.

>>7587096
Exactly.
>>
>>7587113
removed? assuming you want the adj. removedness otherwise. calm removedness would be serenity i guess
>>
>>7587121
lol adverb (adv) i mean ha ha
>>
>>7587113
I considered that and isolated but distance felt more like an emotional connection than a physical one and isolated felt to clinical.
>>
>>7587128
Actually thinking on it if I were to define the word I'm looking for "a state of willful isolation even in an otherwise crowded environment." Perhaps with a happy-ish connotation.
>>
>>7587135
that is the very definition of seclusion and if you tell me seclusion has a negative connotation to it i'm going to call you a feelsfag.
>>
File: cc.jpg (78KB, 760x1015px) Image search: [Google]
cc.jpg
78KB, 760x1015px
>>7587077
>>
Can you all stop entertaining this fag?

This word doesn't exist.

Op has never heard or seen it

Op just wants to distill the feels from >>7587080 some gay song into one word.

For no reason.

Dumbest thread ever.
>>
>>7587140
I feel like that's the most accurate but I feel like I generally prescribe that to situations involving someone who is actually alone both in body and mind.

>>7587145
Or ur a cunt m8. Some of us actually do write, you know?
>>
It's the blues, dawg. You have the blues.
>>
Seclusion?
>>
>>7587157
You don't need a single word fuckface.

If you were a writer you'd know this: if your meaning doesn't fit in one word, use two

Idiot
>>
>>7587170
Pls keep posting so I can add your posts to an anthology - "Dumb Shit" by You.

>>7587160
Like I said seclusion seems to me more related to physical separation rather than mental or emotional.

>>7587158
Not in a sad way.
>>
>>7587180
Everyone with eyes can see I'm right you stupid motherfucker, getting butthurt just proves I'm on target. The resistance of your anus makes my penis harder
>>
Sehnsucht?
>>
>>7587206
Perhaps but not sure if I could apply it properly.
>>
>>7586985
I believe the term you're looking for is special-snowflake
>>
>>7587213
That's as close as I get, pal. If you find a better one make sure to post it here.
>>
>>7586985

ENNUI
N
N
U
I
>>
Pathos
Mono no Aware (not a word but a phrase---close enough either way)
Monachopsis
>>
File: feelsweirdman.png (28KB, 158x143px) Image search: [Google]
feelsweirdman.png
28KB, 158x143px
>>7587314
>Monachopsis
niiiiiiiice
>>
>>7587008
Being surrounded by tumannijüden would make anyone depressed.
>>
>>7587145
Ironically, the word he is searching for is "faggot."
>>
OP, the word is loneliness. You can be lonely in a crowd.

I think you've gotten mixed up between loneliness and solitude.
>>
>>7587135
solitude
>>
File: DFW.jpg (48KB, 1920x201px) Image search: [Google]
DFW.jpg
48KB, 1920x201px
>>7587486
No.

Solitude is "the state or situation of being alone", loneliness implies a sort of melancholy and detachment from others which can be felt in the presence of others, and when you're alone.
>>
>>7587504
>DFW

please
>>
>>7587029
Yes this is correct
>>
Existential loneliness.
>>
>>7587015
underrated post
>>
>>7586985

I'm going to second alienation as the closest one I can think of.

>>7587145

You're awfully sure of yourself, even though you're a giant idiot faggot.

Some of us enjoy eloquence for it's own sake here on this literature board. If that like a strange and alien passion to you, maybe you're not in the right place.
>>
Insulated
>>
Detached
marooned
distracted
secluded
memed
bigguyed
foryou'd
neet
fedoralized
andbutso'ed
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.