[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Plato's dialogues real? Or did he just make them up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: schath[1].jpg (22KB, 256x273px) Image search: [Google]
schath[1].jpg
22KB, 256x273px
Are Plato's dialogues real? Or did he just make them up
>>
I mean the actual conversations
>>
What's the difference?
>>
>>7577765
nice to know
>>
Back to high school kid.
>>
Probably not real.
If that bothers you just remember the importance of mythology in the method
>>
>>7577851
this
saged
>>
>read the Republic
>imagine how long that whole talk must have lasted
>>
>>7577851
>>7577900
dont try and act high and mighty on an internet imageboard

i dont know where you went to school that plato was read in high school
>>
>>7578105
A science oriented one in a third world country.
>>
HOW CAN DIALOGUES BE REAL IF OUR INTERLOCUTORS AREN'T REAL

Stale joke, sorry. Seriously, though, are you stupid, OP? Or just dumb?
>>
>>7578194
I chortled.
>>
>>7578194
its just a question friend

i am not familiar with the man and his writing
>>
>>7578208
Samefag. Back to reddit.
>>
>>7578105
we read the republic in hs

florida
>>
>>7577760
Useless question. Real or fake, Plato's dialogues are revolutionary.
>>
>>7578217

Just kidding, mate.

Considering most of the dialogues were written years after they supposedly took place, it seems very unlikely that they occurred exactly as depicted. But the characters contained in them were real people, as corroborated by other works, and Socrates was known to behave much in the way he is described as behaving.
>>
>>7578217
the joke is from the fact socrates wrote nothing

but it is not likely plato invented everything since a lot of later greek philosophers also had only their students write for them, their existence is unquestioned
>>
>>7578127
Brazil?
>>
Protagoras happened.
Parmenides happened.
Gorgias happened.
The Republic happened.
Symposium happened.
Alcibiades x Socrates happened.

It all happened, in the World of Ideas.
>>
>>7577760
Plato wrote his books, he thought philosophical concepts are best discussed with others who offer feedback and further discussion. Hence why it's called the "Socratic method".
>>
>>7577760
Made them up, using figures he knew or who largely existed (with some question about Callicles, Timaeus, Diotima, the Eleatic Stranger, and the figures in the Laws).
>>
>>7577760

Both senpai senpai
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.