[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most famous novel set where you live?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 12

File: joycetowersandycove.jpg (331KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
joycetowersandycove.jpg
331KB, 1024x685px
What's the most famous novel set where you live?
>>
A River Runs Through It
>>
>>7567864

The Hobbit
>>
Ulysses
>>
The Handmaid's Tale was set in a nearby city
Lost on a Mountain in Maine is.... even closer..
>>
some young adult novel
>>
Michel-Poirot Nbwene al-Ibn Khwarazm Qi Shi Huang Fzzz-Zzz-K-k-k-!'s "One Year In Toronto: Why I'm Proud To Be A Faggot Lesbian Activist"
>>
probably the savage detectives.
>>
The Crying of Lot 49, I guess.

I mean, a lot's been written in and about LA, and you could probably make the argument that any one of Chandler's Marlowe novels, or any great detective novel for that matter, could be representative. In fact, I never really consider LA as being a big part of Lot49, but I'm sure I'm missing something there. It's just, more people know (or have heard) of Pynchon and Lot49, and it happens to be set in LA.
>>
>>7567991
O yea half of Stephen Fucking King's books too

>>7568000
Nice trips Cal-anon
>>
>>7567864
The Jungle.
>>
This is a fucking Reddit thread. Nobody fucking cares about shit like this.

GO BACK TO REDDIT YOU UTTER PLEBEIAN.
>>
Anne of Green Gables by far
>>
>>7568032
Ive never heard of the former
>>
Can't even think of a novel set in Toronto but if there is one it's probably garbage.
>>
Literally the fault in our stars
>>
Death in Venice I guess. Don't really know much lit set in here - well ofc, the Merchant of Venice but that's kind of cheating.
>>
Mani by patrick leigh fermor
>a travel book
>>
>>7568032
>>7568067
>>7568076
CAnon here, I think Chandler and his vein were more familiar in the popular culture of past generations. If you show a millennial a noir film (and I've tried), they'll be bored out of their skulls. Not a criticism, just an observation.
>>
Sunshine sketches of a little town
>>
Tess of the D'Urbervilles
>>
From Here to Eternity
>>
My Struggle 5
>>
>>7567932
Eve and Adam's?
Hell?
Africa?
>>
dante's inferno desu
>>
My hometown isn't the setting for any books, but it has inspired:

>The Chronicles of Narnia (lamp post)
>The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings (the white mountains of Gondor)

Bonus points to any one who can work out where I live from that.
>>
Great Gatsby
>>
>>7569606
kek
>>
>>7567987

S'craic.
>>
A Hero of Our Time
>>
>>7567864
Twilight unfortunately.
Admittedly its a couple hour drive to the specific town its set but there doesn't seem to be many books set in Washington State, much less Olympia.
>>
>>7569613
What is so funny
>>
Great Expectations is literally set in my small town. My Grandmother lives around the corner from the old forge that inspired the one in the book.

Pretty based.
>>
File: 1433533482117.png (45KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1433533482117.png
45KB, 184x184px
>>
Soumission :(
>>
>>7569466
Scotland?
>>
>>7569466
PLS B IN WALES
>>
The most famous novel set in Brazilian favela.
>>
It's either The Jungle or Native Son
>>
Probably Shoot the Piano Player or Brotherly Love or Birdy (though Birdy is more in a suburb than the city itself)
>>
>>7568067
That doesn't mean anything
>>
>>7568000
The Big Sleep, The Day of the Locust, what Makes Sammy Run, The L.A. Confidential, Ask The Dust and Play It As It Lays are probably all more famous L.a. Novels than the Crying of Lot 49
>>
It's a play, but the Crucible.
>>
>>7569774
heck if we could do non-novels it would be 1776 or the Rocky movies instead of Birdy or Shoot the Piano Player for me.
>>
None in my town, but for my state there's Thinner and The Witch of Blackbird Pond
>>
The girl with the dragon tattoo?
>>
>>7569835
Eh, true. I still consider a play more literary than movies since the primary way classic plays are taught is through reading. Which is kinda fucking stupid. But whatever.
>>
A Confederacy of Dunces if you want to consider it a Louisiana novel, but I feel like it's explicitly a New Orleans thing. So, probably The Moviegoer
>>
It's literally Ayn Rand for children
>>
Fucking Paper Towns
>>
>>7567864
Almost all books set anywhere in Australia are shit. Australian literature in general is pretty fucking bad.
>>
>>7567864
the holy bible
>>
>>7568000
You spend too much time on /lit/ if you think TCoL49 is the most famous LA novel.

I've been in cities on the other side of the world from America and seen bars named "Bukowski" or "Bukowski Bar" in non-English speaking countries. Not that he's even the most famous LAer but Pynchon is not the most well-known American by a long-shot.

I'm from Dallas and I have always wondered this. I think No Country for Old Men has the closest setting and the biggest success.
>>
>all these anons ITT who live in completely irrelevant towns and have to settle for a book set in the same state as them, as if entire states have any complete homogeneity
Might as well have just sat this thread out, losers
>>
are there any books that take place in pennsylvania?
>>
>>7570135
Rabbit, Run
>>
The only novel I can think of that's set in Wisconsin is Driftless by David Rhodes. Pretty good book nonetheless.
>>
File: please help.jpg (11KB, 367x202px) Image search: [Google]
please help.jpg
11KB, 367x202px
Fifty Shades of Grey
>>
Anything written by Saroyan, I guess.
>>
>>7567864
Middlesex.
>>
If you're talking about the state I grew up in, then To Kill a Mockingbird, Big Fish (part of it takes place at the university I went to. The main character plants daisies in the quad my dorm window overlooked) and Forrest Gump.

If you're talking about the specific city I was born in, then Forrest Gump kind of (Bayou La Batre is in the same county)

Where I live now, nothing really.
>>
Sota de bastos, caballo de espadas
>>
>>7570187
>Where I live now
Whoops nevermind, I've been to the town the hotel the Shining takes place in a dozen or more times and it's only 45 mins from where I live.
>>
Burma Days by Orwell
>>
File: IMG_0411.jpg (972KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0411.jpg
972KB, 2048x1536px
>>7567864
Moby Dick.
>>
>>7570229

Lmao burmese days, sorry.
>>
>>7570229
"burmese"
also... how's life?
>>
>>7570242
Nice.
>>
File: IMG_0400.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0400.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>7570252
Not really. New Bedford's a shithole.
Picture is not New Bedford however, it's nearby Fall River.
>>
>>7570270
Well, the twilight is still nice I guess.
>>
>>7567864
Literally nothing.

Rural Canada represent.
>>
>>7570302
See
>>7568137

Leacock's description of mariposa could basically describe any old town in Canada.
>>
File: a scanner darkly.jpg (68KB, 300x467px) Image search: [Google]
a scanner darkly.jpg
68KB, 300x467px
>oc, ca

I never read it. Is it good?
>>
The Scarlet Letter tbqh
>>
>>7567864
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
>>
any other melbourne fags? maybe monkey grip by helen garner, which is a pretty mediocre book desu
>>
A lot of Margaret Atwood
In the Skin of a Lion maybe?
If graphic novels count Scott Pilgrim is fairly well know.
>>
According to the number of ratings on a 4 and half star book on goodreads, The Thorn Birds, by Colleen McCullough.

There's no such thing as good literature that is set in or comes from this fucking country.
>>
My city is mentioned as having been nuked in Alas Babylon
>>
>>7567864
The adventures of Augie March. At least the first line in relevant to me.
>>
>>7567864
The Bible
>>
>>7570302

>rural canada

What part? Alice Munro from your area?
>>
>>7568000
>>7568007
>>7568032
>>7569759
>>7570070
Kind of weird knowing there arent bigger works about LA. Less than Zero is about LA but whatever.
>>
Moby-Dick, well, part of it at least
>>
La divina commedia
>>
>>7567864

It's briefly mentioned in "The dead" by James Joyce and "Borstal Boy" by Brendan Behan
>>
>>7571126
Are you the Irish poet?
>>
my diary desu
>>
Umm...the empire strikes back was written where I live, plus an old, popular nuclear holocaust movie, written by the same lady, that I forget it's name, was set here.

I don't think any actual novels are about here.
>>
>>7571126
Is it somewhere in the west of Ireland?

Also, Dublin representing. None of you plebs can begin to understand Ulysses until you have looked out over Dun Laoghaire bay or stood on top of Joyce's tower and chanted the opening lines.
>>
>>7567864
I went to Clongowes Wood College, setting of some chapters in Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man.
The establishment has a very weird relationship with Joyce.
>>
>>7567864

I'm going to ignore that you said novel and go with Hamlet.

Probably a whole bunch of fairy-tales by Hans Christian Anderson too.
>>
>>7573116
please elaborate on that relationship
>>
>>7571062
Oh shoot she's actually like 30 minutes away.

Still nothing actually set in my town or just about anywhere in the county. She's in Huron, I'm in Bruce.
>>
Trainspotting, probably
>>
Brave New World was inspired by my hometown.
>>
1984 (London)
>>
>>7567864
I'd say Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.
>>
A Doll's House by Ibsen.
>>
File: 雷锋.jpg (89KB, 399x580px) Image search: [Google]
雷锋.jpg
89KB, 399x580px
>>7567994

Had a good chuckle, desu
>>
San Diego:

Cannery Row has a part where the Doc goes to La Jolla

In The Grifters by Jim Thompson, two characters take a trip to La Jolla, and one character also goes to Mission Hills to have a beer. I'm pretty sure Jim Thompson's other books are set more centrally in San Diego, but I haven't read them yet.

In Kim Stanley Robinson's Gold Coast, they also take a trip to San Diego for some sort of arms dealing thing.

That's all I can remember right now, but there probably aren't many more. San Diego just isn't a place you set a novel I guess.
>>
KC, Missouri. Do Tom and Huck make it to KC, or just St. Louis?

Burroughs mentions KC briefly in the Naked Lunch. The narrator and some friends pass through on there way to mexico and south america. He wrote about STL and Lawrence more often.
>>
a biography of Jeffery Dahmer
>>
>>7567864
I'm ashamed.
>>
Not the most popular on goodreads, but the Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass. Pretty cool desu.
>>
>>7567864
probably norwegian wood
>>
>>7570185
Probably same. Can't think of another major Detroit/SE Michigan book.

Virgin Suicides I guess but that's pretty specific to Grosse Pointe I think
>>
>>7572770
<i>I</i> am the Irish poet!
>>
Most famous would probably be Les Misérables, or The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

But really, you could take your pick.

Journey to the End of the Night starts where I live (Place Clichy)
>>
The Great Gatsby
>>
>>7567864
The Stand. Part of it's set there, at least. Stephen King has an unhealthy obsession with the state of Nebraska.
>>
>>7567864
East of Eden
>>
Til from José de Alencar.

It's so shitty though. ;(
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 271x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 271x400px
>>7567864
Pic related: drink the water here if you want to git gud at writing, or so they say.

Any other Monroeville Anons checking in?
>>
>>7567932
Fuck Missoula
t.former Frenchtowner
>>
File: 9780143300618.jpg (1MB, 827x1276px) Image search: [Google]
9780143300618.jpg
1MB, 827x1276px
Specky MAGEE
>>
>>7567864
God of Small Things
>>
>>7575467
Lel
>>
>>7569929
The Moviegoer is pretty damn close to strictly a NOLA thing. Outside of the city I feel like just as many specifics places in Louisiana are mentioned as the midwest. I could be remembering incorrectly though.
>>
>>7569997
Hello fellow Orlandofag, UCF area here. Can't wait to get the hell out. You?
>>
>>7575444
I agree. Where do you live now?
>>
Anatomy of a Murder. Or Hemingway's Torrents of Spring.
>>
>>7567864
Age of Gold
>>
The Old Wives' Tale
>>
The Wallander series is set like half an hour from where I live
>>
Hunger
>>
>>7574174
that's a play, though
>>
The Red Room
>>
My town nobody
My state either American Pastroal, This Side of Paradise, or the Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.
I live closer to Princeton than Newark or Elizabeth.
>>
nono boy, which is a really good book
>>
>>7575506
Back in Minnesota, near st Paul
>>
>>7567864
John Grisham novels in memphis
>>
the school from A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is down the road from me
>>
>>7569616
>>7567987

Dublin lads represent. Whereabouts are you boys from?
>>
>>7576632

Lotta Irish in this thread
>>
>>7569466
>In particular, he was referring to the Golden Valley and the Wye Valley in Herefordshire.
>There may even be a Malvern connection to the famous lamp-post in the Narnia stories.
>A local urban myth says that Lewis was inspired by one of the famous gas lamps in the town.

>"Tolkien identified at quite an emotional level with Mercia, and West Mercia in particular, and the language, and he put a lot of that into Rohan," says Mr Lyons.
>George Sayer, who wrote the biography of CS Lewis, remembered hiking with Tolkien in the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire.
>The Lord of the Rings author "lived the book as we walked, sometimes comparing parts of the hills with, for instance, the White Mountains" that marked the border between Rohan and Gondor, he said.
>>
Revival

Thank you BTK
>>
Most famous novel set in Oxford? That's hard to say.
>>
>>7576783
Umbrella
>>
File: 274607.jpg (27KB, 299x475px) Image search: [Google]
274607.jpg
27KB, 299x475px
>>
San Francisco, take your pick.
>>
>>7569466
popty ping mush
>>
>>7576632
Clongowes or Belvedere?
>>
>>7573116
What the fuck are you doing fucking around on 4chan if you went to Clongowes?
>>
Live 4 hours from Cape Fear
>>
>>7573116
>went to clongowes
I'm from up North and played rugby there recently. You guys are rich as fuck.
>>
>>7575163

>desu

fucking kill yourself
>>
File: 9780684868172-l.jpg (42KB, 308x470px) Image search: [Google]
9780684868172-l.jpg
42KB, 308x470px
>>7567864
I can't think of anything other than this but I'll permanently remember it due to my humanities teacher in highschool constantly talking about how my class should've had white guilt due to the shit in it even though it's been multiple generations since then and the few living relatives to the perpetrators of it are practically historical artifacts and were too young to be involved in it anyway.
>>
>>7578427
type desu lad
to be honest
t-b-h
t.b.h
try it
>>
Empire Falls or whatever Stephen King's most popular novel is, Carrie?
>>
>implying I live in Jew York or Shitcago
>Within the book I'm known for a hotel, house, and an army base
>The object of attraction is from my hometown.

Where do I live /lit/ and which novel am I referring to? :^)
>>
Cloudstreet
>>
>>7576762
Dublin
>>
Helen Garner, Monkey Wrench
>>
>>7570004
Tim Winston ain't bad
>>
The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis by Jose Saramago (Lisbon)
>>
>>7573131
Joyce is entirely a selling point to them, and they sell vacancies by listing him among the "notable persons" who attended the college, quickly glossing over his picture and history.
Generally the establishment keeps quiet about him, and discussion about his relationship with the college is frowned upon.

>>7578241
There's nothing that special about it.

>>7578404
Rich and generally awful human beings.
>>
My own novel unfortunately or fortunately. No one writes about this place because it's unknown and uninteresting in a country that no one cares about.
My own novel is set here though so it's probably the most famous too.
>>
>>7567864
Anything take place in the great state of Michigan? The Virgin Suicides was filmed here but idfk about the book.
>>
La Regenta, by Leopoldo Alas Clarín
>>
>>7575502
I made it out brother, I'll send for you.

We can watch Noah Baumbach films together.
>>
A shit ton of Nicholas Sparks books. That's it, this place is hell.
>>
Hopscotch and Borges' stories probably.
>>
not a ton of good books set in Chicago but a lot of NY writers use it as the backdrop for their shitty YA fictions so they don't have to say 'Long Island'

Sister Carrie by Theodor Dreiser
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
Herzog by Saul Bellow
Winesburg, Ohio could be anywhere in the midwest
Nelson Algren wrote about Chicago, I think

I don't know whose depiction of Chicago is the defining one. Probably Dreiser, maybe Sinclair

There have to be more tho
>>
Éstas Ruinas que Ves
>>
>>7567994
416 master race checking in: I think that Jewseph Whyteman's "It's Not Our Place: Dismissing Racism, Sexism and Homophobia as a Matter of Cultural Relativism" is much more famous
>>
>>7582602
Igual
>>
>>7567864
Crime and Punishment
>>
I grew up in a village of 3k people that was (at least partly) the inspiration for the fictitious village in Arno Schmidt's novel KAFF auch Mare Crisium (I think the church is in the novel, I've never read it)
Thread posts: 169
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.