[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35 261648 How fast do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 1330491365095.jpg (34KB, 500x399px) Image search: [Google]
1330491365095.jpg
34KB, 500x399px
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35261648

How fast do you read and how many books per year?

Do you think it is better to read faster?
>>
>>7566990
No one gives a shit about this pseudo-science.
>>
>>7566990
>how many books per year?
~70

>Do you think it is better to read faster?
>fiction, poetry
No. Prose.

>non-fiction
If it doesn't harm comprehension, yes..
>>
I have estimated my speed as 250 wpm with moderate understanding. It's pretty slow for a normal /lit/ I believe. Read faster, read more books, it's that simple.
>>
>>7566992
under 200 wpm reader spotted
>>
There's no way to measure reading speed, because it depends completely on what it is you're reading. You could be the fastest reader in the world, and Hegel will stop you right in your tracks, because you will not be able to comprehend what you are reading sentence for sentence. The slowest reader in the world will still glide through your typical pager-turner.
>>
>>7566990
Mine is anywhere between 400 and 1000 depending on the text and the amount of information I need to take in. The more important the text, like research articles of scientific nature, I read much slower. News articles and light weight novellas I can read very fast. No idea how many books i read in a year though, maybe 30-40.

I did attend a speed reading course which did help me a little bit. It did help me with scanning, reading main points and increasing my reading speed, but I quickly stopped using the methods and just read more at my pace.
>>
I am barely touching 30 books a year.
Granted those are books i read start to finish. If I include research and occult reading it would be closer to 70 a year.

If its a fun read if takes a day or two if its not I could take several months of picking it up and putting in down in favor of other books.

I would not find as much joy in reading if i were to read faster.

When I read I like to get a good internal narration going and that includes good tempo. That is to say changing reading speed to match whats going on. There are too many bits in a book worth savoring to read them over quickly.

An example is any dresden files book toward the end where the happening of things and realizations are rampant.
>>
>>7566990
i think reading faster is only useful if you can still enjoy the lectura while doing so so that you can spare time for other lectures/activities, otherwise who the fuck cares?
>>
I think my WPM is quite slow, but I read for at least one hour everyday, usually two or three, and end up getting through more than one book per week on average. Proper books at that, not just genre fic like most people who read at a ridiculous pace seem to focus on.
>>
File: bigtroublelittlechina.png (906KB, 872x605px) Image search: [Google]
bigtroublelittlechina.png
906KB, 872x605px
I read between 20-25 books a year

I read pretty slowly, mostly because I like to enjoy and savor what I'm reading, and really picture to the tiniest detail what's being described. I also have the habit of going back and reading interesting sentences or paragraphs a second time.

What really slows me down, though, is the fact that I live in a small studio apartment with one other person, and this person has the television on 24 hours a day, and is in the habit of speaking to himself aloud, when he isn't speaking to me. And the fact that I have a book open doesn't deter him.

But because I have so many books that I want to read, I would like to read faster without sacrificing comprehension. Anyone have any strategies to share?
>>
>Tony Buzan's tips for reading quickly
>>Become physically fit

Now you have no excuse not to start lifting, /lit/.
>>
>>7567046
Try to do some eye saccading exercises, could help with eye movement and taking words in faster. There is also a website called spreeder that allows you to put in any text and adjust how many words and the reading speed. This could help you advanced further in reading speeds.

Your main problem seems though to be your roomate. Go read somewhere quiet or with headphones if he distracts you.
>>
>>7566990
I try and force myself to read certain books slower than I'd normally read - but things like non-fiction I just burn through. If someone told me they read Gravity's Rainbow in 10 days I'd just think they were an idiot who didn't get anything out of it. For real, from classes/social network I know a few people who take pride in how fast they read, and they're vapid morons on the whole. My ex balanced gay feminism shit/stuff she heard about on podcasts with the occasional classic, and all she could ever fucking say after finishing them in some absurdly quick amount of time was what was problematic, how the white male author showed how racist he was, the characters she "liked"...
>>
>>7566990
>how fast
~900wpm
>how many books per year?
Almost none, I almost never sit down to read and when I start reading something, it might be weeks or months before I decide to continue reading.
>>
>>7567084

She sounds like a real keeper. Homofeminism ladies are the best. And capable of appreciating culture through her very own lens too!
>>
If you take the often-cited average reading speed of 300 words a minute, the average reader might take about one minute to get through a page.

What the fuck, there's no way the average reader will do 60 pages an hour. It's probably more like 30-40
>>
>>7566990
Depends, if I am working in London I get about 4-5 hours reading time weekdays and maybe 3-4 total at the weekend. I manage about 3-4 books a week but it also depends on the books, for instance i did 5 Roman biographies in 5 days but it might take a few days for a big complex novel I am really taking in.
>>
>>7566990
What the hell is Bjork reading?
>>
>>7568817
also curious
>>
>>7566990
>be 15
>find a book on speed reading in the library
>do the test in the book, clock out at 200wpm
>Do every activity in the book, learn every technique
>only one I still use is not sub vocalizing
>now comfortably read news articles/fluff novels at 700 wpm, dense stuff at around 450wpm

It's really better to just practice reading to get faster. Anyone who tells you they can scan a page in a "z" pattern and have good comprehension is full of shit.
>>
>>7568817
She's not reading, she's posing. It's probably something like a catalogue of 19th century maritime incidents for insurance purposes, which translates to the addled, fashion obsessed brain as bookish and reflective.
>>
Since when reading became a fucking competition? Isn't literature a thing to enjoy and savor?
>>
>>7568961
>Since when reading became a fucking competition?

People think reading faster means they're better readers.
>>
>>7568961
Reading 50% faster means you read 50% more books in a year, it's in your best interest to strike a balance between reading fast and having good comprehension.
>>
>>7566990
Reading lots of books doesn't take speed, it takes consistency. If you're spending more of your free time playing jrpgs and shitposting instead of reading then of course you'll get very little done, no matter how fast you read.
>>
>>7566990
>Using a tablet enables Sutherland to skip through pages at lightning speed. "That way you don't have to rely on a dampened forefinger - and the risk of giving the next reader tuberculosis," he laughs.
>this degenerate can't turn a single page without licking his disgusting fingers
>>
>>7568939
>bookish

what does this mean

she looks like a book?
>>
How can you enjoy a book if you just rush through it?
>>
>>7568992
It simply means you flip 50% more pages.
I am a slow reader admittedly.
Though I can probably interpret any poem you put in front of me pretty accurately within 2-3 minutes if it can fit on one page.
Point being, reading speed is not indicative of the quality of the reader, nor the quality of the thoughts.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.