[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scruton, before attempting the endeavor himself, says there is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Scruton, before attempting the endeavor himself, says there is no contemporary effort at sexual morality in philosophy. He says, for instance, that objecting to rape, is not really secular sexual morality, because it's just an extension of the morality against brutality.

Is he right? Is there no real endeavor toward secular sexual morality today?
>>
>>7566392
It doesn't matter because everyone just fucks each other to forget how pointless life is in the modern world
>>
>>7566392
Well, sex is cheap these days; I would say that modern morality surrounding sex falls into either the traditional "Abrahamic" attitudes in the decaying bastions of old societies (Evangelical, Islamic, Indian regions), or the emerging cosmopolitan morality, where the ideal is to transgress all norms.

I think that people in general don't make a very big deal about interpersonal relationships anymore, although I don't know about any intellectuals who think about this
>>
>>7566392
Sure. I mean what is it you always hear? "Anything's ok as long as everyone consents." Well shit, if that's all then why is any sexual crime so bad? If sex is meaningless then forcing someone to have sex is no more meaningful than forcing your kid to eat his brussel sprouts.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
>>
Rape and child molestation are considered the worst secular crimes. Child rape is the mother of all transgressions today.

Both are said to engender extreme forms of psychological trauma, worse than most forms of physical trauma but analogous with it in terms of how they are referred.
>>
>>7566731
Almost fell for it. 7/10
>>
>>7566731
Foucault advocated removing the idea of "sex crime" from the lawbooks and just prosecuting rape as assault.
>>
>>7566749
That woukd just be a way to try and hide patriarchy.
>>
>>7566757
Foucault was really the only authentic thinker in his class. He was the only one who altogether transcended the Christian legacy of his ideology.
>>
>>7566748
I'm not saying I agree. I'm just saying it's the inevitable conclusion if you agree with modern ethics.
>>
Sexual morality is a spook anyway.

Not even religion has a viable sexual morality, other than claiming that marriage is holy.

Hell, even the theologians of old thought prostitution was a good idea.
>>
>>7566864
Listen, if you don't know what ancient philosophers actually said, then just admit it.
>>
>>7566892
How was anything I said wrong?

Both Thomas Aquinas and St.Augustine thought prostitution was a good idea.

This thread isn't even about "ancient philosophers".
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.