[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Horror Novels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: IT.jpg (30KB, 302x442px) Image search: [Google]
IT.jpg
30KB, 302x442px
I offer you a simple question /lit/

What's the single scariest novel written by man?

A lot of people tell me it's pic related, but I don't think I believe them.
>>
Whats the deal with the gangbang in the end?
>>
>>7550895
King has a weird sex scene in all of his books i swear it's a fetish
>>
>>7550888
My
Diarrhea
Togejonest
>>
Honorabley bad more like
LOL!
>>
>>7550900
Okay, this is the only one I have read. It was kinda long-winded.
>>
I don't think it's the scariest, but there's something to be said for the fact that King originally didn't want to publish (and only eventually had it published to get himself out of a contract) Pet Sematary because he felt that he had gone too far.
>>
>>7550895
King was also a massive alcoholic and drug addict when he wrote it.

Still...you'd think an editor or somebody would say, "Uh, steve-o, uh....do we really need the child orgy at the end here?"
>>
File: 1429560930113.jpg (63KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
1429560930113.jpg
63KB, 500x495px
>>7550945

Stephen King has been a best-selling author since Carrie, I don't think anyone was going to try to interfere with the formula.

Also, if the notes at the beginning of his books are anything to go by, I think his wife is his chief editor. She must be desensitized to her husbands weird fetishes or have some pretty weird fetishes herself.
>>
Is his short story collection Night Shift good? What about Carrie? Was thinking of getting into him just to see what he's about, and eventually read The Stand since it's relatively well praised.
>>
>>7551111
King's short stories tend to be his best work; when it comes to novels he tends to shit the bed on the endings. Night Shift is a solid collection, if you enjoy it move on to Skeleton Crew and so on.
>>
>>7551111
How was The Stand? was curious about that one myself as I have an interest in the critically-acclaimed doorstoppers.
>>
>>7551268
I thought it was god-awful. Some people really like it, but i dunno. I Thought the characters were all totally uninteresting, the story kinda sucked and was predictable, and uh...there is no "Stand" at the end. The ending is awful too.

I read the long version though, some say the short version is better.
>>
File: asdf.jpg (404KB, 1522x1149px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
404KB, 1522x1149px
>>7551111
Night Shift is a great introduction to his short stories, and I really enjoyed Carrie. Both of those works are from early in his career, and I think his style changed as he matured.

If you're new to King, I would suggest Night Shift, Pet Sematary, The Shining, The Running Man, and/or Thinner. Desperation and The Regulators might be the most frightening books I have read by King, but are very bizarre and not representative of his style.

tl;dr: Read The Shining or Pet Sematary and go from there of you like it.
>>
>>7551565
I agree that the characters were bland, but what I enjoyed about the long version was how much detail King put into the survival and civilization building process.

The ending was shit though
>>
>>7551630
>survival and civilization building process.

That's what I hated about it. It's like 400 pages of people sitting around a town, getting toilets working and patches roofs and shit. Wow, that's fucking riviting. Oh wait....what's this? The guy you hinted is really evil all along, he's starting to do evil shit and nobody knows! Oh SHIT! King should have got the Nobel for that plot twist alone!
>>
>>7550895
The ending of IT was bizarre. He really needs to plan his books out properly so they don't devolve into garbage, especially since the first ~400 pages were relatively solid, but I've been told he actually brags about his lack of planning in certain interviews
>>
>>7552357
Sometimes the deevolution of ideas works to his advantage.
>>
>>7551037
His wife isn't his chief editor m8
>>
>>7550888
im so glad i decided to wiki this book instead of actually reading it. i would have been so mad if i had wasted my time on such a huge piece of shit book
>>
>>7552706

Just did the exact same thing out of curiosity.

Just wow. What a steaming pile of shit.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.