[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Borges Kafka Joyce These are the most influential writers of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: BeeJay.jpg (237KB, 479x571px) Image search: [Google]
BeeJay.jpg
237KB, 479x571px
Borges
Kafka
Joyce

These are the most influential writers of the 20th Century.

Discuss.
>>
hemmingway probably was, sadly enough.
>>
Borges is one of my favorite writers, but who are some other great writers that he influenced? The only one that immediately comes to mind is Gene Wolfe.
>>
Joyce is shit and no amount of /lit/ memeing can make him not shit
>>
>>7523438
pynchon
>>
>>7523446

Mmm
>>
>>7523446
cute
>>
>>7523423
Replace Borges with Beckett and you've got it.
>>
>>7523446
-pat pat-
>>
>>7523423
>Kafka
I agree.

You can make a case for the other two too, really.
>>
>>7523423
Probably. They are three of the most important ones for sure.
Proust would be a nice contender too.
And may be Faulkner, Mann, Nabokov, García Márquez, Hemingway...

We could consider also writers like Orwell, not for literary merits but for the approach of some political issues, and we cannot deny that his most renowned books have been highly influential too. Therefore, we should take in regard Huxley and, to a lesser extent, Zamiatin.

Even Tolkien it's vastly influential from a certain (and restrained) point of view.
And science fiction has produced a lot of interesting and influential works, even if it's just "genre fiction".

It was a good century for literature.
>>
>>7525487
Sure, but, what if you had to pick the THREE most influential?
>>
Wtf why isn't there any women or people of color on that list? It should be:

Stephen King
Jane Austen
Virgina woolf
>>
Vote for the Best Author of 2015

http://strawpoll.me/6415189
>>
>>7523438

Lem, who explicitly acknowledges Borges' influence in A Perfect Vacuum re using nonexistent works for review etc.
>>
>>7523423
Nabokov
Kafka
Joyce

>>7525505
Borges, although highly influential, i'd argue not as influential as the others. By influence we mean affecting literature to adopt the writer's characteristics, then Borges wouldn't be as influential as Hemingway, Proust, Nabokov, Faulkner, Márquez, as each of them have, I'd argue, changed more of 20th century literature than Borges. Borges who is usually read after Nabokov, Joyce, Kafka, or Márquez, and is commonly seen as great but adding on, rather innovating in the same tradition as the others.
>>
>>7523423
I remember an Irish critic said that there were two schools to follow, and one idea as a 20th century writerl. You either wanted to write like Henry James, Faulkner, and Proust, or like Nabokov, Kafka, and Beckett. The ideal to either is Joyce.
>>
>>7523423
>Bjork
I like this

Borges has a particularly idiosyncratic style and is definitely an amazing writer, but I haven't seen him spawn nearly as much widespread emulation and admiration as Kafka or Joyce.
Can't really think of anyone to replace him, though. Dostoevsky? Faulkner? Marquez?
It's hard to tell without a large dose of hindsight
>>
Borges brings the spanish language to new highs with his prose/lyric. If you think he should be out of the list, you need to read him in spanish.
>>
>>7525869
Champ, Nabokov didnt do anything new either and at least Borges is interesting to read.
>>
>>7525505
How do you rate most influental ? Inspired a largest amount of new writers, most people adopted his ideas ? Most read? By these its Tolkien

Just trying to show that most influental is extremely vague and debatable.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.