[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Foundation Worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: FoudationEmpireTWMflat.jpg (393KB, 792x424px) Image search: [Google]
FoudationEmpireTWMflat.jpg
393KB, 792x424px
Hello /lit/,

I am considering reading the entire Foundation books, is it a waste of time?
>Is the Chronological order (starting with the robots) the way to go?
>Are the characters as poor as the Internet say?
>Is there other Sci-Fi classic that I want to check before reading the whole cycle

Thank you
>>
bump. Im in the same boat anon. Im currently reading the 2001 a space odyssey books right now. But im considering reading the foundation after.
>>
It's pretty bad literature but still fascinating.
>>
It's just upper-level SciFi. You could start with the Robot Detective stories because they are in the same universe but a bunch of millennia earlier though not technically part of Foundation. Also, the later Foundation books tend to be pretty bad.
>>
Just read the original trilogy and yes it is worth it if you liked this kind of thing.
After the original trilogy instead of reading the rest of the series you should read The End of Eternity. Probably Asimov's most underrated.
>>
>>7506553
I red all seven or so books in the actual foundation series a few years ago, plus caves of steel. I feel the original triology to be the best, with the first book a bit above the other two.

The rest of the books in that series came quite a bit after the initial trio, as Asimov wanted to bridge the robot series and the foundation so that they were all within the same universe. I didn't really feel they were worth the effort, but I guess it can be cool to read all of the books just for the sake of having done it.
>>
No
Asimov is anti-literature
>>
>>7506553
>>7506567
Both Foundation and 2001 series start well and peter out, first 3 Foundation are great, 2001 series I can't remember which book it started to lose it a bit for me, it was 15 years or so i read them. Thing is that doesn't mean you shouldn't read the latter books, read them and make your own decision, you might like them.
>>
The first three are worth it. I highly enjoyed the first book the most. The series does start lacking as it drags on.
>>
>>7506553
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixjsI15IS2Y

just under 8 hours, beautifully acted.
>>
just read the first
>>
I can't bring myself to continue reading the second one. It is almost entirely dialogue and the characters are boring. I'd rather read something that is actually worth your time for example Dune, the Culture books, or the Mars Trilogy.
>>
>>7506553

First one is really good, I enjoyed it a lot. I made it...I don't remember, a little over halfway maybe? through the second. So read the first, at least.
>>
File: foundation_covers[1].jpg (371KB, 1248x662px) Image search: [Google]
foundation_covers[1].jpg
371KB, 1248x662px
The first three are good, but the series peters out as Asimov dragged it on. Like Dune, read in publication order and drop everything the moment you stop liking it.

>Also: Not posting the superior cover art
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.