[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Charisma

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 1448176605787.jpg (108KB, 664x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1448176605787.jpg
108KB, 664x1000px
Hi /lit/, I'm currently trying to create a character who's insanely charismatic, almost in an animalistic way, where you can't help but feel drawn to her, despite her numerous flaws.

Can anyone recommend some books that feature characters with that kind of charisma, some academic writing about the subject or, better, share your own opinion on the subject?
>>
>>7488531
Fatale by Jean Patrick Manchette might have that sort of person. Really a lot of noir has that "flawed but irresistible" type of character devlopment.
>>
>>7488531
tyfa by heinrichs
>>
>>7488543
I'll check it out, thanks for your input Anon
>>
>>7488562
Sounds good, but the description said it mainly focuses on the art of persuasion. Does it include themes of attraction?
>>
>>7488531
>charismatic character
hmm, this will be difficult, anon. Writing true charisma takes a nuanced understanding of human nature.
>female
lol nvm, female charisma is physical sexiness, which is easy as fuck to write.
>>
>>7488593
Not really, while she will be good-looking, appearance is not the main focus as she'll be mainly seen as an unreachable figure akin to an idol, a god

Any advice or pointers you can offer on the subject of human nature will be greatly appreciated
>>
>>7488609
>she'll be mainly seen as an unreachable figure akin to an idol
spot the beta
>>
>>7488621
She's supposed to be a leader, while looks can help with first impressions, it's not enough to keep others under your control
>>
File: 3NUg8.jpg (53KB, 400x525px) Image search: [Google]
3NUg8.jpg
53KB, 400x525px
>>7488578
One in the same. The main persuasion technique is displaying ethos, which is exactly the kind of charisma you are looking for. A character that has flaws but has unshakable convictions and lots of practical wisdom, like how to create a diversion to help someone out, etc.

>>7488593
The right kind of attractiveness (invoked by your talented writing) is also charismatic. We are drawn to babes.
>>
>>7488628
ok well I can't think of examples of female leaders like that in fiction, but check out Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said by Philip K Dick for an example of a crazy-as-piss animalistic charisma girl.
>>
>>7488632
>>7488636
I'll be sure to check the books out, having some titles to go by helps a lot
>>
>>7488609
Iris Murdoch - A Severed Head.

All Murdoch is riddled with charismatic bastards, but in this case it's a woman, and not really for sex appeal. She's a harsh intellectual who makes people quiver.
>>
>>7488609
Count of Monte Cristo might be worth checking out. For most of the book the Count, while still the main character, is nebulous and almost beyond human in his intelligence, charm, taste, etc., is far beyond the clutches of normal society and its expectations, and is basically revered and borderline idolized by everyone he meets.
>>
>>7488690
Oh also Henry James' "Portrait of a Lady." There are passages which explicitly mention that the main character is intimidating to her male peers and has a character of being a free spirit, hellbent on not being tied down.
>>
>>7488609
Henry Winter from The Secret History is often called a very charismatic character. The book might be worth checking out.
>>
>>7488531
Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues?
>>
>>7488531
Women can't have charisma, they have sex appeal. I mean fuck, I can barely even remember what women even talk about. Charisma and women just doesn't work. Despite all the "women power" they have in fiction nowadays, I just can't take it seriously.
>>
>>7488971
Sure they can, it's just that women's appeal is most often their appearance, just like in real life. There are, however, some exceptions, look at high ranking female politicians, for example
>>
>>7488531
André Breton's Nadja.
>>
>how to be charismatic
>be rich and open your mouth
Or
>appeal to poor, uneducated people
They work best in combination
>>
>>7488971
jesus christ go interact with women outside of pathetically attempting to pick them up once in a while. this is one of the most retarded things ive ever read.
>>
Your best bet is to make her ugly or scarred.

That way you can offset her constant insecurities by an unshakeable command of her abilities and courage in all things. This fatalism will make her seem irresistible to the people around her. Give her an long nose or wide jaw, make her mannish in appearance and rough around the edges.

If you make the mistake of making her attractive you can only go in one of two places, she is raped, she is disfigured.

If she's ugly from the beginning, you can take her anywhere, build a legend for her, have her develop a cunning and deeper understanding of the desires of men and women.
>>
She could be a tomboy-ish, non-straight, raised poor, etc. More women grow up not performing femininity in a "sexy" and "beautiful" way than do and anyone who disagrees shows how sheltered they are.
>>
>>7489362
t. butthurt woman or whiteknight
>>
memes aside Donald Trump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55NxKENplG4
might be hard to adapt to a female
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.