[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grammar Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: We just don't know.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
We just don't know.gif
999KB, 250x251px
What's the difference between "?!" and "!?"?
>>
>>7485376
!? is sequential ordered, domain of law

?! is asynchronous entropic, domain of chaos
>>
It's punctuation, not grammar, dumbass.
>>
>>7485376
?! is a dubious move, !? is an interesting move.
>>
>>7485421
Many refer to interrobang, punctuation-wise, as "!?". Shouldn't be it be "?!" ?
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 325x325px
Use the interrobang.
>>
>>7485421
is this from chess
>>
?! is more aesthetic than !?.
>>
>>7485491
yes
>>
>>7485532
Why do the Japanese use !? and not ?!
>>
>>7485544
radiation
>>
>>7485556
topkek
>>
>>7485532
false
>>
File: 9867.gif (497KB, 500x211px) Image search: [Google]
9867.gif
497KB, 500x211px
>>7485532
Agreed.

Take the sentence "He did what?!", for example. It is, first and foremost, a question. You can take the exclamation point away and be left with "He did what?" and it's still correct. Taking away the question mark, though, leaves us with "He did what!", which doesn't make sense, since it still begs a response. Therefore, the question mark is of greater importance and should come first.

...On the other hand (and I'm just realizing this, now), while the logic, above, is correct, my conclusion may not be. Maybe the question mark, being more important and essential to statements that use both marks, should be last, since it acts as the final cap to the sentence.

...Or maybe it doesn't fucking matter and you can put them in whatever order gets you hard. I don't care.
>>
>>7485840
no no you were right the first time

the question mark is modifying the "He did what"

and the exclamation point is modifying the "He did what?"
>>
>>7485863
I disagree since I feel it's not about modification, it is supposed to be "!?" because the exclamation point being first underlines how the the person said the whole sentence and in what character but the question mark just tells you how he ends it, like he ended it as a question not a statement but you didn't know that when he started talking although you would have noticed him halfshouting right away.
>>
is the nature of the statement or the tone of the statement more important? question vs statement, regular volume vs exclamation, etc.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.