[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learn a new language.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (118KB, 543x735px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 543x735px
I want to learn a new language by reading/translating a book from its native tongue to English. I don't have a set language in mind, but I want to choose one of the following:

Spanish
French
German

Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on a book? Language? Any tips at all?
>>
>>7484765
How the fuck are you going to translate a book if you don't know the language?
>>
>>7484769
Are you serious? I'm going to pick up a "x language" grammar book and dictionary. I also have google.
>>
>>7484765
>Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on a book? Language? Any tips at all?
Yes
The Harry Potter series is available in text and audio form in pretty much any language you can think of, plus you can tell yourself "10 year old native children can handle this, I can too" while you read it for a psychological boost

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lwt/
http://ankisrs.net/
>>
>>7484784
Translating a literary work is very challenging. Literal word for word translation doesn't work, you need to rewrite as you read. There's also the subtext and the many layers of meaning. And the strange sentence structures for aesthetic effect. You simply can't do it without having a firm grasp of the language.
>>
You should learn portuguese, my english speaking friend!

I find it to be very beautiful: it's my mother language.

You could translate some Machado de Assis! It'd be marvelous!

or some Fernando Pessoa!

or some Saramago or Mia Couto!

I was thinking on reading some Harry Potter in Italian to learn the language. Maybe pleb books would work better in this case? Specially in the beggining?! What do you think?
>>
>>7484809
Your taking the translation thing too far. I don't want to rewrite a novel for publishing. I simply want to learn a new language. Looks like there's a good bit of info regarding people learning a new language through reading.
>>
>>7484806
Thanks for the suggestion and the links. I think I may start with Harry Potter.
>>
>>7484814
I think I'm going to start with Harry Potter. Isn't Portuguese similar to Spanish, or am I retarded?
>>
>>7484825
I've been learning German for quite a long time and I still find it very challenging to read serious literature in German, even with the aid of a dictionary.
Reading and translating will not teach you all the necessary skills for mastering a language. You are forgetting about the ability to form your own sentences, both in writing and in speech. And your listening, which is also a key skill.

All in all, I think that there are quicker and better ways to learn a new language
>>
>>7484834

You are not retarded at all! It's very similar: I can understand most spanish speaking people without any problems whatsoever!

I have a peruvian friend who says that brazilian people sound like a russian trying to speak spanish. Haha, very funny!
>>
>>7484877
Its like I can read your accent through your post
Is this how Portuguese write
>>
>>7484825
OP you don't get how FUCKING hard this shit is
Some things in some languages are simply inexpressible in others
>>
>>7485373
>Some things in some languages are simply inexpressible in others
Such as?
>>
Immersion is a meme unless it's seriously hardcore

"Learn by doing" is a meme

"Your brain naturally learns grammar like a babby :^)" is a meme

Learn the grammar --> learn the vocab --> learn to speak it

Do anything else and you'll be a faggot forever
>>
>>7485411
aujourd'hui, maman est morte
>>
>>7485428
heute, mutter ist tot
>>
File: 1387746703054.jpg (17KB, 294x313px) Image search: [Google]
1387746703054.jpg
17KB, 294x313px
>>7485436
>german
>>
>>7485436
Heute ist Mutter gestorben.*
>>
Off topic. Between French and German, which language is more useful for reading different types of lit?
>>
>>7486849
Russian
>>
>>7484765

Try Romanian. It's underrated and I need A PUBLIKUM FOR MY Ĺ’UVRE
>>
>>7486849

french unless you really want to get into german philosophy imo

>>7485413

this is good advice
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.