[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it that makes /lit/ special? Honestly most of the time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (154KB, 430x565px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154KB, 430x565px
What is it that makes /lit/ special? Honestly most of the time I can't stand you people, yet I'm admittedly addicted to this board. Why is that? Almost every time I come on here I'll find something I didn't know about before and spend hours on Wikipedia. I think it's because the rampant pretentiousness(I'm pretty sure most of it is just being ironically so, right?) present on /lit/ combined with the anonymity allows us to let our guard down while at the same time discussing obscure and "high-brow" stuff that is otherwise ignored on other sites (Reddit). The result is an interesting, albeit sometimes nauseous, insight into literary works. What do you guys think?
>>
>>7473614
the sensibilities imparted by studying literature are the same that contribute to dankness in memes. and if those memes take literature as their subject, all the more so.
>>
>>7473626
the ironic detachment of the 4chan pathos is very close to the attitude of a literary critic, I'd say
>>
I would prefer to be young no nothing at /lit/ You'd learn so much. Don Dellilo once said something like he writes to figure out what he knows. That's me commenting here sometimes.
>>
>>7473639
Dude English might not be your first language and it isn't mine either, but it might be a good idea to be more careful about how you write. I don't understand your first statement at all, and in the second one your forgot these little fellows :
:
" "
>>
>>7473671
I would prefer to be a young, no-nothing at /lit/. You'd learn so much.
>>
>>7473689
>know
>>
>>7473689
To be honest, I'm glad I didn't learn about literature from /lit/. I'd probably be even more obnoxious than I already am.
>>
File: Jeanne_Oh Sh!t_YEVlQQ.jpg (397KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Jeanne_Oh Sh!t_YEVlQQ.jpg
397KB, 1280x1280px
>>7473614
I think we're fascinated by this place only because there's a lack of a real alternative. All book clubs become a circlejerking, this one too, starting with the weird fascination with dfw and pynchon. But because of the anonymity everybody can express their taste even counteracting the meme-jerking here.

Often you don't even know if people are sarcastic or serious in praising Authors, like zizek. Or the eternal Tolstoy vs Dostojewski war threads, that provide insight into two opposite ways of perceiving the world. I never know for sure if people are just trolling but it's at least a smarter way of doing it, where interesting discussions start even out of trolling.

People mix sarcasm irony seriousness and memeing on all topics, from Nazis to God, resulting in a unique blend of deep insights caricatured into memes, where nobody takes anything too seriously.

Lit is the last bastion of cultured madness and misanthropy in a world that glorifies uniformity of ideology and personality. It's today's plaza of bohemians with the exception that nobody has sex or is drugged happy, but gets high on cynicism, existentialist doubt and suicide idealisation.

We are here because we don't believe in anything and we have nowhere else to go. We despise each other because we know that as different we all are, we are fundamentally sentenced to a life of unsatisfying unhappiness because we can't mix in with the disgusting orgy of the materialistic commercial uniformed mass of normies.

We hate ourselves for not fitting in, for being alone, and that's what unites us. We're snobs because shitting on others is the only way to delude ourself that we can regain a bit of illusionary power in a world that has relinquished the intellectual, ideological and cultural values for wealth and beauty.
>>
>>7473689
Again I have no idea what you're saying. What's a no nothing? You can't negate a void. It makes no sense
>>
>>7473748
What about now though? Are you implying that you now "know about literature"? If so, what are your thoughts about the stuff on this board? I agree it's probably not the best place to start getting into lit, especially at a young age when the mind is impressionable and status is such a valued thing. But once you have some lit experience do you think it's helpful?
>>
>>7473764
The only way to learn about literature is to read literature. I have no idea what this board is supposed to help anyone with, except maybe nudging them in the right direction, IE telling them to read the classics.
>>
>>7473751
Shit man, OP here, and I couldn't have said it better myself. Glad others feel the same. Though I don't necessarily agree with the last two paragraphs. It's too generalized for all of the people on here, and I can't say I really fit in to that description, but who knows I might be ignorant of myself
>>
>>7473774
I think it's a way to find new stuff to read as well. Honest question, are you a frequent visitor to this board? What keeps you around?
>>
>>7473784
I am frequently accused of over generalising so it's definitely not you. Mine was more of a rant than a proper well thought argument. I am sure I both give too much credit to the board in some ways and too little in others.
>>
>>7473751
i think this post gave me an acute case of homoexuality
>>
>>7473824
You're welcome. Enjoy it while it lasts, it might be your only chance to get laid
>>
>>7473789
I come here for the cheeky banter. There are better ways to find things to read, as /lit/ only talks about classics and flavor of the month stuff.
>>
>>7473877
It's not anon's fault that girls are the sexually boring gender
>>
it's not even as elitist as it used to be
>>
>>7473945
When was /lit/ at peak elitism?
>>
>>
>>7473954
2011*
>>
>>7473954
around the time Pinecone was posting here, D&E, Stan, and the rest of the gang still around, etc
>>
>>7473980
Satan still posts unfortunately but all of thsoe people were annoying
>>
>>7473980
I really hope "the rest of the gang" doesn't include dipshits like tybrax, fabulous and stag/quentin
>>
>>7473980
also no /pol/ b8 threads and /mu/ casuals trod more carefully. that was nice
>>
>>7473933
I see. Any recommendations on resources for finding stuff to read?
>>
>>7473996
TyBrax was the epitome of /mu/ casual and he had (still has) the second most posts on this board after D&E
>>
>>7473995
quentin was a legend m8 don't shittalk him
>>
>>7473978
Wish I was around to see it desu...though not for too long
>>
>>7474000
I usually just skim through Wikipedia articles on various literary awards, both international and for specific languages/countries, and I also look at what good publishers like Dalkey Archive and New Directions are releasing
>>
>>7474008
You really didn't miss anything. The only person who was even vaguely knowledgeable about anything was onionring, and even then only a very specific area of philosophy. Everyone else were just boring teens/pseuds, just liek today
>>
>>7473751
>in a world that glorifies uniformity of ideology and personality
/lit/ does this too, in its own way - it has its own codes of what is acceptable and what isn't, and it enforces its own form of conformity
>>
>>7474647
Yes but it's much easier to go against the flow. You can't get ostracised or isolated. You're a weirdo among weirdos here whatever your thoughts
>>
>>7473614
It's because you're a fucking retarded newfag that needs to lurk more.
>>
>>7474870
>>7474870
>You're a weirdo among weirdos here whatever your thoughts

Maybe - I'm not so sure about that
>>
Most of the people on /lit/ are losers. Remember that next time you order your Starbucks your server monotones, this is /lit/.

Or when sneer at some idiot playing his hang drum outside a Walmart; like he's some freedom fighter fingering the last battle hymn of the intellectual; an unemployed loser, this is /lit/.

Perhaps you might walk past a dreary side street after a night of drink and debauchery and witness in the shadows the figure of a unenthusiastic rentboy being pumped from behind by a fat man in dishevelled overalls and chequered shirt, the sound of wet flesh slapping against a hard lean young body, the old consuming the new, this is /lit/.

Imagine for a moment a dingy brick room filled with wafting smoke from dozens of American Spirit menthols, sucked dry in unison as their precocious owners dressed in tight black intently posture disinterest and dismissal; one from within them stands at a microphone and recites these lines "I am the nigger. Society is trash. I am the nigger.", a single hacking cough breaking the turgid silence, this is /lit/.
>>
>>7474917
>>7474917
I've been here for quite a while anon. Are you saying this board doesn't offer any value literature-wise for you? Why do you stick around?
>>
>>7474977
such vivid pictures you've created in my mind. Stick around, you're the hero /lit/ needs anon.
>>
>>7473614
The addictive quality, for me, is coming for the literature, finding it in sufficient doses, then sticking around for the shitposting.
>>
>>7474977
>a single hacking cough breaking the turgid silence

kek
>>
File: index.jpg (5KB, 240x177px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 240x177px
>>7474977
Do not judge yourself! The places on the top of a humanity mountain, they are only few, also to that places the mortals come only with a fortune wave.
>>
I come here because it's only place I know of that has ever recommended a book that is actually good.

All my friends, or acquaintances always recommend some fucking Robert Ludlum tier trash novels.
>>
4chan is addictive for the instant responses and constant refreshing. There's no quality here. Even retarded boards like /fit/ and /sp/ are fun to go on.
>>
>>7473639

>he writes to figure out what he knows. That's me commenting here sometimes.

This is a decent point. At the end of a long back and forth over some topic I've often sat back and been surprised that I even had that much conviction over the topic to begin with.
>>
I think its also worth noting that reading is a very solitary hobby and that even shitpostinf and trolling a shit board like this gives people a little contact even if it is with a bunch of fags before getting back to reading memesters
>>
>>7475066
You have some shit friends
>>
>>7473762
English is obviously not your first language, friendo, or you'd immediately get that he meant "know-nothing", which sounds exactly the same.
>>
>>7473614
Because there's nowhere better. :(
>>
People are funny here without the need to be rude and annoying.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.