[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

war books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_n2dw12V2ld1sgcu01o1_1280.jpg (500KB, 1280x830px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n2dw12V2ld1sgcu01o1_1280.jpg
500KB, 1280x830px
Hi /lit, so, long story short is that I am working on something and one of my character is a war veteran who is highly traumatised by things he had seen and so on. As a resource and inspiration I'm looking for books that depict soldier's life and the tragedy that is war. You know. I've read most of classics like Slaughterhouse numer 5 or some petry by war poets, but still I want more. Also I am from a country that was almost completely destroyed by WWII so I find it hard to find good books in my language because it is still all too fresh. So anyway I am looking for books about war without too much deification and that aren't anachronical if it is possible. Xoxo guys
>>
Storm of Steel - Jünger
Under Fire - Barbusse
All Quiet on the Western Front - Remarque
>>
>>7465490
Under Fire is one of the most powerful book I've ever read. The prose is sublime and made me feel down to my bones, after having studied it for the years, what it felt like to be in the Trenches.
>>
>>7465396
>That sweet Isenheim altarpiece structure
>>
Read Atticus Lish's "Preparation for the Next Life", released last year about an Iraq vet suffering PTSD in New York.
>>
>>7465396
Bumping thread with question, looking for a book I read maybe 10 years ago, story was about a soldier in a Prussian pikeman's regiment in 16th century(?) and the discipline needed to hold ranks to withstand cavalry charges.Their unit gets wiped out multiple times and it follows the surviving MC's story through the war.
>>
>>7465490
I've read 'all quiet...' and thought about reding other his books, because I loved that book so much.
And thank you all for help, I love you guys
>>
>>7465490
Storm of Steel is a must. It'll stop you from thinking every soldier was a depressed existentialist.

Try talking to some soldiers as well for advice, don't get all your info from civvys.
>>
>>7465788
Thank you, this is actually great idea <3 I could probably someone in my family, even than most of tchem were civils in WWII and I dont know anyone who fought in East more recently ( i fucked up this sentence but i have migraine forgive me) but maybe Ill try looking on forums or something. I dont know but thank you anyway <3
>>
Samuel Finlay - Breakfast with the Dirt Club
>>
I have a lecturer who does personal training on the side. He used to be a marine for 10 years, and he used to walk around his base so that he'd step on a mine and lose an arm or leg. He wasn't suicidal or depressed, he just wanted to get a medal in the Paralympics.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.