[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I publish my diary?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: Photo0193.jpg (209KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0193.jpg
209KB, 1600x1200px
I am considering self publishing (on Amazon) a book about my travels. In 2014 ,in summer, aged 21, I hitch-hiked mostly alone in the Balkans for one month, without paying for accomodation, not knowing any of the local languages and with no hitch-hiking and camping experience. Before that trip, I (I'm Italian) never went outside Western Europe.

The only issue I have is the book is my actual travel diary. Apart from all the personal issues, I am worried about telling everyone I know (and don't know) about me smoking pot. Changing names and places wouldn't be an issue. I'm not a gonzo fan, although another traveller suggested I do this, so that's not an option.

So, should I publish the diary? Would you be interested in reading?

(Pic from my hometown)
>>
>>7446941
Publish it without putting your real name in it
>>
>>7446953

As I normally post updates for everyone on Facebook, many people know that it would be me anyway. Also I was interviewed for my solo travels so it would make sense for me to publish with my real name as I apparently have some "fame".
>>
Honestly the entire premise sounds boring as fuck.

If you don't want people to know you're a drug addict then change the names. If you realize most people expect authors to be degenerates and don't care you should use your real name for your boring book.
>>
post some excerpts here and i'll tell you that it's shit, which it is. white boy trying to find himself hitchhiking and a condescending look at the natives. i'm trembling with excitement.
>>
>>7446984

Without going outside /lit/'s boundaries, you shouldn't judge a book by the cover. Anyway I will take your degenerate advice in account.

>>7446987

So, another person having prejudices and already failing at predicting the author's point of view. How do you know it's shit if you're just guessing blindly?
>>
>unable to make decisions for yourself
>thinking your thoughts are worth publishing
>>
>dude weed lmao i hitchhiked through yurop woah man

Sounds like a shit book, to be honest.
>>
>>7447025

Brainstorming is an effective way of producing an at least reasonable output. This does not imply being conditioned by anyone, whether friend, foe or stranger. Anyway a few people have asked me already to publish my book and keep on writing.

>>7447033

I will include some of the details of the book as it seems I understated the potential that it has:

-28 days between Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia (FYROM), Bulgaria, Serbia, Hungary, Austria and Switzerland.
- Walked next to minefields, on the road, in Sarajevo. Ended up sleeping in an abandoned videogame store a few kms after. Next day, among the other things, I had a conversation about politics (I study it) with the owner in a rural bar filled with bullet holes
- Climbed the Tirana Pyramid with my backpack, then went back down and got robbed at knife point in front of a Mother Theresa statue. After that, a randomer who offered a joint explicitly begged for my money even though I only had 70 eurocents left. I ended up sleeping without a tent in a nearby park.
- Spent a whole weekend in Skopje because I was robbed of my phone, camera and shoes after sleeping next to a gypsy shack. My credit card also got stuck in the ATM. The family living there hosted me. I spent 4 days without knowing what time it was, disconnected from the world and got my credit card back because a homeless man helped me, even walking along railways tracks and going to the police station with me (I'll admit I was a bit naive back then. Anyway we walked outside the station right after telling them I had no registration. )
- Blackrided a Serbian train with drunken Red Star hooligans.
- Hitch-hiked from the Austrian-Hungarian border to eastern Switzerland (900 km) with a Kosovo businessman who spoke in German. We managed to communicate despite I never learnt German.
>>
>>7447154
This sounds like your journal is better suited for a transformation into a (not-so) short story, or a series thereof.
>>
>>7446962
Still, use a psuedonym. If you use your birth name, at best, you'll feel like Thomas Wolfe and have to live in self-exposed exile for eight years until the uproar mitigates.

And, how many of your Facebook friends read literature? Alot of them probably are only interested in your daily/weekly/monthly updates yet would never pick up a book.
>>
>>7446941
>I am worried about telling everyone I know (and don't know) about me smoking pot.
Nobody would care. Lie and say it's medical. Or, say you was trying to open the Doors of Perception.

With medical marihuana being accessible and legal now, everybody probably is smoking it, tried it, baked it, did whatever the hell to obtain it.

If you were on LSD, then yeah, I can why you'd be worried. Yet, worried about marihuana? That's comical at best. It's again accessible and with the states being lenient on the drug itself, everybody at least tried it.
>>
>>7447214
I agree.
OP, find the raison d'etre of some of your more interesting entries and fashion magazine length short stories around them. They would surely be much more poignant and a bigger hit than if you simply released a laundry list of shit white kids do.
>>
>>7447269
>States
He mentioned he's from Italy. Why do people always default to US when it comes to posts like this?
>>
>>7447214

This is actually some good advice, I'll take it in consideration.

>>7447235

I don't know how many do but a consistent part of them asked explicitly for my book.

>>7447276

I do not understand why I have to be associated with the colour of my skin. Often people assume I'm Arab (even police in Istanbul who thought I had bombs on me. No, not fun) , other times that I'm European, sometimes I've even been told I look American, Brazilian, Indian.
>>
>Yes, I'll love this book about the travels of an attention-whoring druggie normalfag, it'll sure change my worldview
>>
see
>>7447025
>>7447033
>>
Sounds good, I'd read it.
>>
>>7446941
Make sure you call it 'My Diary t b h'
>>
>>7446941
there's a billion travel blogs out there, noone would give a shit
>>
You're describing a blog, OP. You're describing a blog. A Twitter feed, even. A Facebook status update.

This has been done, literally, millions and millions of times. Over and over and over again.

Let's pretend, just for a moment, that it's actually half decent writing with half decent ideas. I hope to hell you invest in or are yourself a hell of a salesman because, any way you look at this, you're describing a blog.

Literature is dead. The internet has killed art.

It's over, baby. It's probably for the best.
>>
Ignore the haters, OP. I've probably seen interviews of you honestly, if you have 'fame.' I love travel journals and stuff like that. Personally, I think you should publish it under your name. People won't judge you for smoking pot.
>>
>>7448810

What was the last travel journal you read?
>>
>>7447282
A state doesn't nessesarily refer to the US, a state by definition is a sovereign government and in this case refers to the different countries of Europe
>>
>muh travelling

Travelling is for literal retards who thinks distance = experience.
>>
>>7448810
Recommend your favorite travel writer? Curious if there are any decent ones
>>
>>7447608

Constructive criticism would be more beneficial than plain sarcasm.

>>7448802

I have done my travels differently than other people. First of all, I have a tendency to run into weird and crazy people. Many people have claimed this. Also, I tend to hitch-hike and travel in places I don't know dressed in the most noticeable way possible (I hitch-hiked many times dressed in yellow with a yellow hat. I have dreadlocks, which are not common in any part of Europe that isn't Western Europe). Lastly, I hitch-hiked through areas that few other people have ever done: I had to update a few Hitchwiki articles myself as there was no relevant information for some cities!

>>7448810

Thank you, I appreciate your support. To make sure you've read my interview I will insert the link here. It's only in Italian though: http://www.viaggiaredasoli.net/viaggiare-in-autostop-50-giorni-tra-i-balcani/
>>
>>7449240
this so hard
>>
>>7449240

You are describing just one type of traveller. Yes, there are idiots who will brag about their successes saying they travelled thousand of kms but I am not one of them. I could say I've hitch-hiked about 20,000 km in my life but it would mean nothing to me or to anyone reading: I'm much more comfortable and happy saying I have been to Istanbul, Marrakech, Svaneti region, Prague and all the other places I've encountered in my life.
>>
>>7449782
That's fine, but the travel fetishists I've met have been patronizing, elitist retards who think experiencing somewhat different experiences in a somewhat different environment makes them deep and interesting individuals. Writers who "travel" for inspiration are just lame tryhards IMO.
>>
Looks like Northern Japan
>>
>>7449788

We both agree on this. I've had some discussions myself with a guy who travels a lot more than me (he even went to Bhutan, that country where you pay 200 dollars per day to stay there) yet still generalized saying stuff like "skip Turkey, the people there aren't nice so I decided to drive from Ankara straight to Georgia (almost 1000 km distance)". Travelling doesn't guarantee you will become a better person, though it can be very helpful.
>>
>>7449822
Just as bad as the type of people who say "you can do [city] in a day". It makes me so angry. I really must be autistic because most people just hear this and nod or whatever but I'm overwhelmed with hatred when I hear such stupid shit.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.